"Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others"

Tigrou

It appears that Celebrity subscribe to this Orwellian maxim, specifically when it comes to the application of the Lift & Shift aspect of the Cruise With Confidence policy.

I was booked on the April 2021 Reflection transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam).  I asked to L&S to the April 2022 Silhouette transatlantic (FLL to Southampton), it being the closest match from amongst the 2022 itineraries.  I have been refused, repeatedly, on the grounds that there are no cruises which meet the criteria for L&S.

Yet some of my fellow passengers have been allowed to L&S to the April 2022 Reflection transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale to Rome), and even to Apex (FLL to Amsterdam).  There may well be others of course, these are the ones I've noticed on Cruise Critic.

Celebrity's response to my travel agent (a Celebrity 'Partner' agency) is that, "the cruise line cannot validate posts online".  Interesting, given that the Hotel Director on my last cruise talked at the 'Meet & Mingle' about how closely Celebrity follow Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

I was going to reply to this but see you have made multiple posts regarding this and quoted you will get your deposit back  I fail to see what else you expect but will not enter into the argument as I am not familiar with booking in the US

1 hour ago, emmas gran said:

I was going to reply to this but see you have made multiple posts regarding this and quoted you will get your deposit back  I fail to see what else you expect but will not enter into the argument as I am not familiar with booking in the US

I was expressing an opinion on Celebrity's lack of consistency when applying a policy.

I don't expect anything, and it isn't an argument.

Sorry for your disappointment. 

The lift and shift rules are fairly clear so Celebrity can refuse to allow you to swap. Obviously neither you or I know why some others may have been offered more flexibility. It could be, as others have suggested, a TA with more pushing power. Alternatively it could be regarding booking levels on other cruises.  It could simply be that as more cruises are being moved staff are being instructed to ‘stick to the rules’.

Why not simply move on and get Celebrity to transfer your deposit to the cruise you now want? I understand it may be more expensive than what you paid for the cancelled one but after what we are all presently going through there is enough to be sad about....Pick up the phone, swap to the cruise you want and start to look forward to it! Alternatively get your deposit back and look at other vacation options...

Please don’t think I don’t understand your frustration. However, all vacations come with uncertainties and disappointments when what you have booked/planned doesn’t happen as you want. Many on CC have already been in this situation and many more are likely to be over the next few months (us included). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Sorry for your disappointment. 

The lift and shift rules are fairly clear so Celebrity can refuse to allow you to swap. Obviously neither you or I know why some others may have been offered more flexibility. It could be, as others have suggested, a TA with more pushing power. Alternatively it could be regarding booking levels on other cruises.  It could simply be that as more cruises are being moved staff are being instructed to ‘stick to the rules’.

Why not simply move on and get Celebrity to transfer your deposit to the cruise you now want? I understand it may be more expensive than what you paid for the cancelled one but after what we are all presently going through there is enough to be sad about....Pick up the phone, swap to the cruise you want and start to look forward to it! Alternatively get your deposit back and look at other vacation options...

Please don’t think I don’t understand your frustration. However, all vacations come with uncertainties and disappointments when what you have booked/planned doesn’t happen as you want. Many on CC have already been in this situation and many more are likely to be over the next few months (us included). 

Excellent advice.  If the OP doesn't think she will be happy with the Celebrity approved options, then he/she should request a refund and find something that will please him/her.

14 hours ago, Tigrou said:

It appears that Celebrity subscribe to this Orwellian maxim, specifically when it comes to the application of the Lift & Shift aspect of the Cruise With Confidence policy.

I was booked on the April 2021 Reflection transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam).  I asked to L&S to the April 2022 Silhouette transatlantic (FLL to Southampton), it being the closest match from amongst the 2022 itineraries.  I have been refused, repeatedly, on the grounds that there are no cruises which meet the criteria for L&S.

Yet some of my fellow passengers have been allowed to L&S to the April 2022 Reflection transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale to Rome), and even to Apex (FLL to Amsterdam).  There may well be others of course, these are the ones I've noticed on Cruise Critic.

Celebrity's response to my travel agent (a Celebrity 'Partner' agency) is that, "the cruise line cannot validate posts online".  Interesting, given that the Hotel Director on my last cruise talked at the 'Meet & Mingle' about how closely Celebrity follow Cruise Critic.

I know you state you are booked through an agent, but it may be worth checking on the Celebrity website, if you haven't already, to see what they offer as a suitable L&S. Did your agent have any options for you? 

I am considering shifting my April 2021 Lisbon - Southampton cruise on the Silhouette. There is nothing similar in 2021, but when I use the Lift & Shift facility on the Celebrity website I am offered 2 very different cruises to shift to. They depart from different ports, and are on either the Infinity, or Reflection and all the port stops are different too. So not actually anything like my current booking. I am booked through an agent so when I make my decision to L&S, I already know my options and know that although they are not what I originally booked they will be cruises I can take at my locked in price which is 50% of the prices of the cruises on offer.  

I hope you manage to get some assistance on this. The worse thing is knowing others are getting offers that you are not. Like you I would expect that it would be straightforward to shift one Transatlantic to another 12 months later. Maybe there are cruises you can shift to to lock your current price and offers, and then book another Transatlantic separately. Good luck. 

Edited by laslomas
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tigrou said:

This is very unfortunate.  I have had positive results for the few cruises I made adjustments to.  However, from what I read here from and many others, the policy or information provided by Celebrity seems very inconsistent.  It is frustrating but be persistent and let them know that you plan to be.  Good luck!!!

There have been posts about bookings that people said they used L & S to move to a different sailing.   When they further explained they had  paid a higher price and/or lost perks changed cabin or ship category  so they actually didn’t do a L & S what they did was move their deposit to a different sailing.  

Im not suggesting that there haven’t been exceptions, particularly in the early days

of CWC there were exceptions.  But the term Lift & Shift has been used incorrectly on a number of posts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2021 at 7:39 PM, cruisestitch said:

Maybe some travel agents are better than others, or some large agencies have more pull than others.......

All travel agents are treated equally by Celebrity.  Some more equal than others. 😁

Edited by shipshape sam

18 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

All travel agents are treated equally by Celebrity.  Some more equal than others. 😁

I have first hand experience of an online UK travel agency not passing all the options to me that the cruise line (not Celebrity) offered me.  The agency removed options which were not advantageous to the agents commission position.  So yes, the agents may be treated equally but the translation to the guest is not.

Its all a question of how much can you trust what your agent is telling you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/11/2021 at 9:37 AM, uktog said:

I have first hand experience of an online UK travel agency not passing all the options to me that the cruise line (not Celebrity) offered me.  The agency removed options which were not advantageous to the agents commission position.  So yes, the agents may be treated equally but the translation to the guest is not.

Its all a question of how much can you trust what your agent is telling you

Having a TA you can trust is for sure a top criteria to do business with/through them.  

On 1/9/2021 at 10:02 AM, jelayne said:

There have been posts about bookings that people said they used L & S to move to a different sailing.   When they further explained they had  paid a higher price and/or lost perks changed cabin or ship category  so they actually didn’t do a L & S what they did was move their deposit to a different sailing.  

Im not suggesting that there haven’t been exceptions, particularly in the early days

of CWC there were exceptions.  But the term Lift & Shift has been used incorrectly on a number of posts.

This is very true.  You need to read the "fine print" in some of the posts to really determine what actually transpired - and even then sometimes it is not clear.  People sometimes are just not good writers, or just don't really understand what they are talking about.  They often are filled with emotion and pretty much just doing a venting dump. 

I remember recently responding to a FB post where someone said they cancelled a cruise on Celebrity and then Celebrity cancelled the sailing and they were upset that they couldn't get a refund or 125% FCC.  I (politely I hope) explained that while that was bad luck for sure, if they cancelled the cruise then they were bound by the terms of the contract (this was before the current Cruise with Confidence and the like).  Their response - they said I apparently didn't understand - Celebrity cancelled the cruise, not them.  Huh??  Their opening sentence said that they cancelled the cruise and then Celebrity did.  I just don't get people sometimes.