Marina on Smithsonian Channel

tgg

The Oceania Marina will be featured on Smithsonian Channel's MIGHTY CRUISE SHIPS tomorrow Tuesday January 12 at 8:00pm.

I'm sure if you're reading this after that date, you can watch it on demand.

We're looking forward to being back on the Marina in December.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tgg said:

The Oceania Marina will be featured on Smithsonian Channel's MIGHTY CRUISE SHIPS tomorrow Tuesday January 12 at 8:00pm.

I'm sure if you're reading this after that date, you can watch it on demand.

We're looking forward to being back on the Marina in December.

Our Scandinavian cruise on her in June 2011 soon after her debut not only was delightful but also convinced my husband to desert Oceania’s “R” ships evermore to sail only on the “O” ships.

Edited by CintiPam

We went to the Smithsonian Channel web site, were told that Marina was episode 6 of Season 3, "Mighty Cruise Ships", and that it would be aired at 9:00, Tuesday, January 12.  However, the site also said that if we wanted to see it, we would have to go to CBS All-Access (subscription service) as that is were Smithsonian broadcasts from now.  CBS All-Access said that it was only showing episodes from Season 2 , nothing about Season 3.  Idiotic arrangement.  We will try tonight but have little hope of seeing it. 

MIGHTY CRUISE SHIPS is a Canadian Discovery spinoff of their very successful MIGHTY SHIPS. The Marina episode being broadcast tonight on the Smithsonian Channel is from Season 3 and aired in 2019, I believe.

It's been a great program that has helped us decide which ships we'd love to sail on - and which are definitely not for us. 

different areas of  the Countries offer the program on different channels depending on what your provider buys

I saw  by doing a google search  for Might Cruise Ships  I could watch it online  but may be blocked for other Countries  than Canada

We have see that episode  so was not important to us  😉

It is  an interesting series if you can get it

I agree, this was the most boring episode of this show I’ve seen this season. I was amazed at how dated and plain Marina looked compared to the previous episodes featuring newer ships like Koningsdam, Regal Princess, Viking Star. Those episodes definitely showed much more of the ship and featured all the new modern amenities and how polished the ships were. Sadly Marina looked like a very boring ship in my opinion and Oceania has always been my favorite. Every aerial view of the ship the decks were cleared off and the public areas looked dated compared to the newer ships. I must say I’m more enthusiastic about returning to cruises on much newer ships. Just my opinion. 

• Like 3

OK, CC friends, let me summarize:

It script is written to the level that a 10-year-old could understand.

Marina is a ship. It is a nice ship. There's the exterior of Marina.

Marina has a captain. He is smart. He cares for Marina, the crew and the passengers.

The itinerary is the British Isles. People like the British Isles.

Joe Namath wants me to sign up for Medicare. Joe cares about me. Joe appeared to be sober.

Sailing a ship is difficult. Look! There's the bridge! The captain drives the ship from the bridge, but not really. Someone else does that. 

It's difficult to position the ship in/out of some ports. That's what a pilot is for. The pilot tells the captain what to do. The captain doesn't have to do what the pilot says to do but if he doesn't and the ship crashes, he would be in big trouble.

I shouldn't take some prescriptions if I am pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant or know of anyone who has ever been pregnant. If a rash develops, I should stop taking the prescription and call my doctor immediately. I might die...or worse.

Marina has an engine room. There are engines there. See the pretty engine room? Oops! An injector has failed. If the technicians can't change the injector, the cruise could be in jeopardy. 

Marina has a cruise director. He is nice. He has over 100 pairs of shoes. He doesn't direct where the ship goes.

Look! Another shot of the exterior of the ship. Is there an interior? I don't know, but the bridge, engine room and exterior is pretty.

Tom Selleck wants me to take a reverse mortgage. I can use the cash for anything I want. (Maybe a cruise??) This isn't Tom's first rodeo. I should take his advice because I haven't been to a rodeo.

Look! Marina is docking at the port in Liverpool! There's the exterior of Marina. Passengers like to go to Liverpool. The Beatles are from Liverpool. They were a band. Titanic was built in Liverpool. People get creeped out when they visit the dry dock where Titanic was built. Titanic sank. Titanic was longer than Marina, but Marina is wider than Titanic was.

There's the exterior of Marina again. I wonder if Marina has restaurants, cabins and common areas. No one knows.

The injector was changed successfully. All is well on Marina.

The End.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 6
  • Haha 7

44 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

OK, CC friends, let me summarize:

It script is written to the level that a 10-year-old could understand.

Marina is a ship. It is a nice ship. There's the exterior of Marina.

etc etc.

The End.

Very funny.  My commercials were a bit different but you nailed the descriptions.

• Thanks 1

Another factor. We were on the Nautica that did a portion of that cruise in Aug 2019.  We  first hit Edinburgh on the front end and Londonderry, Belfast, and Dublin on the backside before returning to Southampton. It was very cool ( cold) and overcast the entire 20 day cruise. Except for one day in Iceland we never saw the sun. The Outside dining area of the Terrace was closed the entire cruise because of weather. There was nobody sunbathing or hanging around the pool. The Pool Bar was rarely open.

Moral is, on the itinerary the producers choose, for this episode , it is highly understandable that no one was ever seen around the pool and only occasionally on the walking track. If one wants to cruise and “ hang at the pool “ they wouldn’t choose this itinerary.

I can't believe I fell asleep during this program, although I DID get up at 5:30 AM yesterday, so I WAS tired.  I thought it was a pretty good episode, from what I saw.  I'm always bored when the program spends too much time in the spa or restaurants. I love seeing the ports I might want to go to, or the ones I've been to, and I love mention of the operational issues - like having to get permission to pass from a sub!!  

Anyway, I fell asleep during the Belfast visit, and I've been trying to find where I can view the episode.  The link above stops after a minute - just a teaser.  I don't know if I can get Demand with our service.  We DO get Smithsonian Channel, an excellent channel, so I'm assuming it will repeat at some time - but not today, apparently.  It's mostly Air Disasters and Above America day, it seems. 

So if anyone knows how I can view the whole hour's program on YouTube or TV, please let me know.  I really wanted to see this, as we took a similar UK cruise on Marina in 2013.

Thanks, clo, for alerting people it was on last night.  I knew about it before that, but I'm sure others did not - and probably enjoyed it!   Yes, the producers like to pump up each ship, but that's no reason for me to not watch an episode, from Royal Caribbean to Europa 2!

Edited by roothy123