Random Thoughts on Vaccine Progress

KennyFla

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

You need to adjust the number of deaths by the number of people infected by flu and covid respectively. BTW, the article only reported number up to November when the USA deaths were only 200k.

We don't know the population of people that have or had covid.  We only know the people tested.  There probably are many others.  Are the flu numbers based on actual test results?

"CDC uses mathematical modeling in combination with data from traditional flu surveillance systems to estimate the numbers of flu illnesses in the United States. CDC estimates that flu has resulted in between 9.3 million and 45 million illnesses each year in the United States since 2010."

Edited by KennyFla

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

The original insight is that it makes no sense for all adults to be vaccinated on a ship, when 16-under are not. 

The logic is undeniable. Cruising can't return to normal if there are numbers of unvaccinated people on board. We'll still have to follow safety guidelines; masking/distancing etc.

With the safety protocols, that will deter many customers. Back to square one for the cruise companies.

As I have said repeatedly, cruising (reliable and comfortable) can only resume from low risk areas. Otherwise, there is the real chance of disruption at the port of embarkation, and on board.

I totally disagree with you.  We'll just have to wait and see which way it goes.

12 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Florida just hit 1 million of 65+ people vaccinated.  25% of the way there.

@KennyFla A question. 

In Florida, are those that got the first dose of Pfizer and Moderna able to schedule to the second dose within the 21-day and 30-day developers guidelines?

If not, how many days out are you (Florida) experiencing?  CC'ers from other states?

I've had my first dose of Pfizer and the earliest date I could secure was 41 days out.  I noticed the CDC indicated that up to 42 days is OK.  Originally, over at the NHIAI, Fauci not so behind that.

It appears, IMO, the panic of the surge in cases prompted a rush to get more people at least one dose and not save the second dose to meet the recommended timeline.

So, if you know, what is the current status of the various medical communities, here and in Europe, on this extension of the dosage timeline?

2 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

@KennyFla A question. 

In Florida, are those that got the first dose of Pfizer and Moderna able to schedule to the second dose within the 21-day and 30-day developers guidelines?

If not, how many days out are you (Florida) experiencing?  CC'ers from other states?

I've had my first dose of Pfizer and the earliest date I could secure was 41 days out.  I noticed the CDC indicated that up to 42 days is OK.  Originally, over at the NHIAI, Fauci not so behind that.

It appears, IMO, the panic of the surge in cases prompted a rush to get more people at least one dose and not save the second dose to meet the recommended timeline.

So, if you know, what is the current status of the various medical communities, here and in Europe, on this extension of the dosage timeline?

In my county in California That was Initially the problem . I got my first dose And there was no Avenue to get the second dose . Apparently a lot of people Have the same issue And contacted The Health Department . The county now has sites Dedicated to second dose . I will get my second dose in a timely manner .

13 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

In my county in California That was Initially the problem . I got my first dose And there was no Avenue to get the second dose . Apparently a lot of people Have the same issue And contacted The Health Department . The county now has sites Dedicated to second dose . I will get my second dose in a timely manner .

Thank you.

How coincidental, just tried to get some information here in NH and, low and behold, second dose appointments will be handled separately, rescheduled earlier to meet the recommended guidelines, etc., and also dedicated second dose sites.  So, on 2/2/21 the new program gets up and running.  😉

https://www.wmur.com/article/new-appointments-for-second-doses-of-covid-19-vaccine-to-be-made-available/35368012

In south Florida (Fort Lauderdale/Broward County) we received our vaccines through a local hospital system.  When they called to set up the appointment for the first dose we were told that the second dose would be exactly 3 weeks later (it is the Pfizer vaccine) at exactly the same time.  We had the first dose last Friday and were reminded by numerous people (and in writing) that the second will be given on February 12.  I have read of other distributors of the vaccine not receiving sufficient supplies for the second dose so we're keeping our fingers crossed that won't be a problem.  We were assured that wouldn't happen (let's hope so).

12 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

@KennyFla A question. 

This is only anecdotal, but the people I know that have gotten the first shot, maybe a dozen, get an appointment for the second at that time.  Those second appointments have been honored.  Maybe that is part of the difference between vaccine received and administered, the second dose may be held back.  Just my observation.

We got first vaccination mid January and received eMail from Florida Department of Health in our county this morning that we can schedule the appointment for the second vaccination. The date available is 32 days after the first shot. We got Moderna vaccine which should be administered close to 28 days after the first vaccination. All good.

From a Cruise Critic reader survey:

"A wide majority of respondents -- 81 percent -- said they cruise if vaccines were required. Only 5 percent said that a vaccine requirement would absolutely deter them from cruising.  The other 14 percent said that they were unsure.

So far, only one cruise line -- Saga Cruises in the U.K. -- has said it would require passengers to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine before boarding. But that could change as more people around the world become vaccinated.

Another 85 percent of those surveyed said that they would be more likely to take a cruise if crew members were required to be vaccinated. Recently, Norwegian Cruise Line it is eyeing a COVID-19 vaccine requirement for its crew, but there are logistical challenges."

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5849/

Getting a vaccine is getting more complicated as the new eligible categories contain larger numbers  (there are more 65-70 than 80+, etc.)  In Ohio, we had school personnel put in our 1b 70+ group on Feb 1 which took a large chunk of the supply. Those who were 75+ had a much easier time of it in the last month.

I'm a persistent researcher and so we scored an appointment yesterday (no fever or other problems thus far).

I also search for others so here's some advice:

(This applies to Ohio but I bet it is similar in other states)

1. Find the "magic day of the week" for scheduling. Most scheduling for the next week starts on Thursday, so that is the magic day to work hard at getting scheduled. The time are gobbled up at record speed.

2. Don't rely on an pharmacy or medical group that promises to send you a notice when your group is up. We have NOT received any emails from ANY group or company to notify us except for one rural county's health clinic. So, if you are counting on your local pharmacy to notify you, you will likely get your vaccine in late spring.

3. Seach your nearby counties. Most don't restrictions as long as you have state residence.

4. Ask your kids or family to assist in getting you a vaccine if you aren't tech savvy.

5. Many places offer their phone numbers for those without computer access but the caller is just advised to go online. 

6. If you aren't good at using a computer, take classes when this pandemic subsides. Refusing to use technology has made life for many of the elderly very difficult. Ask your kids or family for help. This one thing will make your life better as you grow older.

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

"A wide majority of respondents -- 81 percent -- said they cruise if vaccines were required. Only 5 percent said that a vaccine requirement would absolutely deter them from cruising.  The other 14 percent said that they were unsure.

So far, only one cruise line -- Saga Cruises in the U.K. -- has said it would require passengers to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine before boarding. But that could change as more people around the world become vaccinated.

Another 85 percent of those surveyed said that they would be more likely to take a cruise if crew members were required to be vaccinated. Recently, Norwegian Cruise Line it is eyeing a COVID-19 vaccine requirement for its crew, but there are logistical challenges."

Thanks for the information.

The acceptance of vaccinations will change, I suspect.  An update survey today re: general population.

Vaccination.JPG.0404f6beeb38af5e0e3c958b25ae8ce7.JPG

On 1/29/2021 at 2:27 AM, KennyFla said:

Florida just hit 1 million of 65+ people vaccinated.  25% of the way there.

i AM JEALOUS....

I am am 72 and live in Northern California.

I CANNOT even make an appointment for a vaccine. Have been told all the 75 year olds go first.

27 minutes ago, Shippy said:

i AM JEALOUS....

I am am 72 and live in Northern California.

I CANNOT even make an appointment for a vaccine. Have been told all the 75 year olds go first.

Many U.S. States are not following CDC / Government recommendation which groups to prioritize.

In Florida the following groups are eligible for vaccination as per Executive Order signed 12-23-2020 :

- Long-term care facility residents and staff;

- Persons 65 years of age or older; and

- Health Care personell with direct patient contact.

Link:

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/EO_20-315.pdf

Edited by SirWolf

The Washington Post has an article today on the great disparity in how individual states are rolling out the vaccine and their success rates.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/states-vaccine-rollout/2021/02/03/eae671a0-656f-11eb-886d-5264d4ceb46d_story.html

In many states, Dai (who teaches at Johns Hopkins University’s business and nursing schools) said, governors have delegated the vaccination process to a web of underfunded county health departments, along with hospitals, pharmacies, HMOs and doctor’s offices. Each has devised its own sign-up systems and made its own rules for who can get vaccinated and when.

On 2/3/2021 at 7:27 AM, KennyFla said:

I saw a similar story yesterday not from CC but it had FDR saying crew would be required and no decision on guests.

25 minutes ago, dexddd said:

I saw a similar story yesterday not from CC but it had FDR saying crew would be required and no decision on guests.

I wonder who will be responsible for crew having a vaccine because many of the Countries they come from may well be the last to actually get them!

I also believe Marella (TUI) German owned have also mentioned about having the vaccine in order to sail.

Edited by sidari

5 minutes ago, sidari said:

Kenny ... Still seems that obstacles are being put in the way, maybe time to look for other embarkation ports as some others lines have done.

This brings to mind an interesting question.  Can the CDC prevent a fully vaccinated cruise from sailing?  They promote they vaccine as the cure for this pandemic.  Will be interesting to see if they put their money where their mouth is.

Edited by KennyFla