What Ports of Call are even open now (Jan 17, 2021)?

I love cruising.   And I've got one booked for November.

And I'm bummed that cruises haven't restarted.  I'm even more bummed that the "test" cruises for Royal haven't started.

On the other hand, what ports of call are/will be open if cruises get started in March/April/May?   Where can you go?

My November cruise has 6 ports of call.   I don't want to go to Coco Cay and Labadee only. 

I saw where some bigwig in the Cayman's said they probably wouldn't accept a cruise ship until 2022.   They've got resources, but other islands need cruisers back more.     So where can cruises go if they restart?    What islands are ready to welcome cruisers back?

44 minutes ago, SnowBird Cruzer said:

So where can cruises go if they restart?    What islands are ready to welcome cruisers back?

Those questions aren't relevant until there is some shred of hope that a few ships will sail.  Which is months away.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, SnowBird Cruzer said:

I love cruising.   And I've got one booked for November.

And I'm bummed that cruises haven't restarted.  I'm even more bummed that the "test" cruises for Royal haven't started.

On the other hand, what ports of call are/will be open if cruises get started in March/April/May?   Where can you go?

My November cruise has 6 ports of call.   I don't want to go to Coco Cay and Labadee only. 

I saw where some bigwig in the Cayman's said they probably wouldn't accept a cruise ship until 2022.   They've got resources, but other islands need cruisers back more.     So where can cruises go if they restart?    What islands are ready to welcome cruisers back?

Too soon to know.  Some are allowing travelers to fly in, Aruba, Bahamas, Antigua,  Barbados, Mexico are a couple I know but no idea who is going to let's thousands of tourists get off ships from various cruiselines.  

It is way too soon to know the answer.

Too many variables.

For example, if EVERYONE on a cruise ship were vaccinated a port of call might be more willing to let those ships dock. 

If the port of call's population were mostly vaccinated then again might be willing for cruise ships to dock.

How dependent is the country's economy on cruise ships in particular.  Some countries will open to tourists by plane before cruise ships.  My guess (and only a guess) is tourists by plane spend a lot more in country per person then cruise ships do.

Wait until July or August to see how the vaccine rollout is going to get a better idea.

• 1 month later...

Royal has been saying test cruises are just around the corner for a long time. At least now I’m beginning to think they are just around the corner. It might be a big corner, but at least it’s coming. As for which ports will be open it’s to soon to say. So many different things depend on it. 

You can travel pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean by air.  Whether the country requires a Covid test or not depends on the country.  Barbados is allowing cruising of smaller cruise lines to operate. Currently, Mexico is one of the few that doesn't require testing.  IMHO, I believe Mexico, Barbados and the Bahamas will be the first ports to open.  

• Like 1