Scams??

Daniel A

12 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I don't have a smartphone but would WAZE defeat that scam?

And hence you have made the case for another (of many) good reasons to have a Smartphone when traveling.  You could use WAZE or just about any other map program (such as Googlemaps, Apple Maps, etc.  If you are in a place that has Uber/Lyft that is also a good option since the price is known before you even make a commitment and you can also follow the route on your phone.   Another nice thing about Uber/Lyft is that not only do you know the fare in advance, but you have a record of the drivers name, license number, etc.  And since payment is via a credit card there is not chance of a change scam where a driver gives you improper change or insists that you only gave him a $10 when you gave him a $20....etc.

Hank

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

And hence you have made the case for another (of many) good reasons to have a Smartphone when traveling.  You could use WAZE or just about any other map program (such as Googlemaps, Apple Maps, etc.  If you are in a place that has Uber/Lyft that is also a good option since the price is known before you even make a commitment and you can also follow the route on your phone.   Another nice thing about Uber/Lyft is that not only do you know the fare in advance, but you have a record of the drivers name, license number, etc.  And since payment is via a credit card there is not chance of a change scam where a driver gives you improper change or insists that you only gave him a $10 when you gave him a $20....etc.

Hank

I can't imagine life without my smartphone. BUT recently - on one trip - google maps took us an insanely wrong way twice. In two different cities. I'd actually forgotten about that. I  need to check my settings.

9 minutes ago, clo said:

I can't imagine life without my smartphone. BUT recently - on one trip - google maps took us an insanely wrong way twice. In two different cities. I'd actually forgotten about that. I  need to check my settings.

We have also had a few interesting experiences with Google Maps (and some other map programs).  While driving through the Burgundy region of France we were once using Google Maps and it took us the shortest route which was right through a vineyard using a gravel road (meant for the wine growers).  Once we got through the "short cut" DW figured it was probably 100 yards shorter then the normal route on a real road :).  

I have been "flamed" here on CC for suggesting that a Smartphone has now become a necessity for travelers....especially those who do anything on their own.  I could list dozens of reasons one needs a Smartphone when in travel mode, but most folks have their own lists.  The latest is that we will need a positive COVID test within 3 days of flying back to the USA (we live in Mexico during the winter) and the way that normally works is you get tested at a hospital or other testing center and they e-mail the results directly to your phone (which you then use to check in for your flight).  Without a Smartphone it becomes very complicated (if not impossible) since you would have to later return to the testing center (which could be miles distant) and try to get a hard copy of your results (assuming that is even possible).  And since printed out copies are easy to falsify there is some question whether all the airlines will accept the print out.    We have also pointed out that some countries (such as Japan) will likely require a Smartphone (with a downloaded tracking app) as part of their post COVID travel rules.

Hank

42 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I could list dozens of reasons one needs a Smartphone when in travel mode,

Oh, I in NO WAY was suggesting that I've ever not wanted it. Shoot, I've used it to find an address here in Reno, much less when traveling. AND in cities for trying to avoid one-way streets. ETC 🙂

1 minute ago, clo said:

Oh, I in NO WAY was suggesting that I've ever not wanted it. Shoot, I've used it to find an address here in Reno, much less when traveling. AND in cities for trying to avoid one-way streets. ETC 🙂

I have a friend who does not own a computer or a cell phone .He travels a lot and has no problems not having them.

I also know someone who is an Executive with a large company who also has neither.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a friend who does not own a computer or a cell phone .He travels a lot and has no problems not having them.

I also know someone who is an Executive with a large company who also has neither.

Well, I hope they feel as special as they are 🙂

Demographics of Mobile Device Ownership and Adoption in ...

www.pewresearch.org › internet › fact-sheet › mobile

The vast majority of Americans – 96% – now own a cellphone of some kind. The share of Americans that own smartphones is now 81%, up from just 35% in Pew ...

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I know an executive who owns a horse and buggy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clo said:

The vast majority of Americans – 96% – now own a cellphone of some kind. The share of Americans that own smartphones is now 81%, up from just 35% in Pew ...

Those of us ,which should be you as well were on the planet before people had televisions in their homes .My family had enjoyable evenings listening to the radio.Smart phones are not a necessity in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Smart phones are not a necessity in my opinion.

Neither is cruising. Totally not. LOL.

PS: I know someone who has a horse that's probably worth $200,000. Now THAT'S not a necessity either.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,in Lancaster,PA

LOL.  You would be surprised to know that most Amish do own Smartphones.  They will generally charge them using their own generators which is one of those crazy compromises we have seen in the nearby Amish community.   They will not connect to the electric grid or phone lines, but many have no problem owning their own diesel generator (which they use to charge their Smartphones).  It is not uncommon to so see them out in the fields using a team of 4 horses to pull a gasoline powered thresher.  They will also use Smartphone apps to track the price of various commodities.   I learned that first hand when we took some friends (visiting from England) to an Amish Auction near Paradise, PA.  An Amish guy standing near us was using his iPhone and our British friend ask him about it which started an interesting conversation when we learned about how he charged his phone and that he was tracking the price of Alfalfa.   Getting off topic, but with cruises being cancelled perhaps we can encourage some folks to drive to Central PA to do tourist things (including visiting the Amish communities around Lancaster.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

Getting off topic, but with cruises being cancelled perhaps we can encourage some folks to drive to Central PA to do tourist things (including visiting the Amish communities around Lancaster.

Hank

Years ago, when my nieces were very young, I would take them to Dutch Wonderland.  It was just right for very young children to enjoy.  I also noted that many homes in Amish Country would have pay phones out at the street in front of the house.  Another compromise I assume.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, clo said:

I guess I am in that distinct minority. No cellphone (though DW has one but it is almost always  off), and neither of us has a smartphone.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I guess I am in that distinct minority. No cellphone (though DW has one but it is almost always  off), and neither of us has a smartphone.

But you have your own specialness 🙂

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I will admit to having another motive for owning an iPhone.  Wherever I am in the world I can Facetime or Zoom with my two Grandsons (4 and 2).  Even when we aware having a bad day, a few minutes with those guys makes it all OK :).  DW and I have a rule that we do not use our phones at the table....but those guys are the one exception.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clo said:

Neither is cruising. Totally not. LOL.

PS: I know someone who has a horse that's probably worth $200,000. Now THAT'S not a necessity either.

I never believed that cruising was a necessity.It is an enjoyment.I knew a guy who was an owner/driver at Monticello Raceway in NY who has horses  worth more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

LOL.  You would be surprised to know that most Amish do own Smartphones.  They will generally charge them using their own generators which is one of those crazy compromises we have seen in the nearby Amish community.   They will not connect to the electric grid or phone lines, but many have no problem owning their own diesel generator (which they use to charge their Smartphones).  It is not uncommon to so see them out in the fields using a team of 4 horses to pull a gasoline powered thresher.  They will also use Smartphone apps to track the price of various commodities.   I learned that first hand when we took some friends (visiting from England) to an Amish Auction near Paradise, PA.  An Amish guy standing near us was using his iPhone and our British friend ask him about it which started an interesting conversation when we learned about how he charged his phone and that he was tracking the price of Alfalfa.   Getting off topic, but with cruises being cancelled perhaps we can encourage some folks to drive to Central PA to do tourist things (including visiting the Amish communities around Lancaster.

Hank

I have been to Lancaster many times.In fact the people at my table for dining on my last cruise plan a trip there in July in lieu of cruising.

Many Amish and many Hasidic Jews own Smart Phones.

28 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have been to Lancaster many times.In fact the people at my table for dining on my last cruise plan a trip there in July in lieu of cruising.

Many Amish and many Hasidic Jews own Smart Phones.

Don't know about the Amish, but it does seem with the other group, Smart phones, yes, and masks and social distancing, NO!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We got me a cell (not smart) phone after 9/11.  But we didn't join the smartphone group until my husband got one in 2015.  Now we both have smartphones.  When we travel overseas we only take husband's phone, and he turns it on about every 3 days to check messages.

When we traveled to Canada a couple of years ago, we bought a $100 smart phone.  Mostly so we could use the maps, but it was nice to give folks back home a "local" phone number to call us, if necessary.

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I know an executive who owns a horse and buggy.

I will bet that your executive has an executive assistant who works for him who has a smart phone.  Bottom line is that I can not see how anyone can exist in the modern world w/o a smart phone.  After all, you don't have to get one of those $1000 model smart phones.  You can get a perfectly acceptable one for a few hundred dollars.  

DON

• Like 1

16 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I will bet that your executive has an executive assistant who works for him who has a smart phone.  Bottom line is that I can not see how anyone can exist in the modern world w/o a smart phone.  After all, you don't have to get one of those $1000 model smart phones.  You can get a perfectly acceptable one for a few hundred dollars.  

DON

I have several friends and several neighbors who do not own smart phones.It is not a question of cost.One of my neghbors,a retired MLB player has a flip phone and is very happy with it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I will bet that your executive has an executive assistant who works for him who has a smart phone.  Bottom line is that I can not see how anyone can exist in the modern world w/o a smart phone.

Ditto. Quadruple ditto. And I don't use mine nearly as much as many do.