Anyone else not happy with the end of Lift and Shift?

I booked my Oasis summer cruise with my 10 year old granddaughter for August 2021 back on March 14, 2020 and got a reasonably good deal on a GS. It is somewhat doubtful that this cruise will take place, however if it does, I would have difficulty adhering to wearing a mask. When I booked this cruise, there were no restrictions or change promotions in place. Because of my granddaughter's softball schedule we can only do this grandma/granddaughter cruise in late August. I took a look at August of 2022 and to book the same suite we have now, without the ability to lift and shift it,  it will be $2,500. more.  I am not happy. I feel that RCG should allow those reservations that were created back before any of the restrictions/ cruise with confidence/ etc. should be allowed to lift and shift that reservation.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Still much can change but is this possibly a sign that prices will be up for the next few years? The cruise lines have so many FCC's that still have to be used and looks like they're taking a haircut with the FCC's. 

In fairness, lift and shift should be available for those reservations made before the pandemic started or any of their Cruise with Confidence, etc. was in place.  This one was and to have to pay $2,500. or more to move it seems very unfair.

• Like 2

In my opinion, the longer cruises need to be cancelled, the more hard-nosed RC will become. They’re fighting for their survival. I’m sure they balance up every decision they’re making now between potential revenue, customer loyalty, safety of customers and employees, country restrictions where the ports are, etc, etc. 

• Like 2

My problem is that a lot of Royal's options aren't working well together.  For instance, I have an FCC from a RCI cancellation (before they offered L&S), and I had to declare if I wanted a refund before Jan 1, 2021.  Knowing I had a cruise planned in 2021, I opted for the FCC and chose to apply it to that sailing.  I figured that the worst that would happen is that I L&S it to next year.

Now, if L&S is discontinued, I'm stuck with another FCC and likely no option to refund any longer.  That doesn't really seem right to me.  A lot of people kept their FCCs and didn't request a refund because of double points and L&S, but if you are discontinuing L&S, I feel you should offer to refund those FCCs in full and just not issue another FCC . . .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefox247 said:

Knowing I had a cruise planned in 2021, I opted for the FCC and chose to apply it to that sailing.  I figured that the worst that would happen is that I L&S it to next year.

You should never have hoped that the lift and shift would be extended beyond it’s posted expiry date. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You should never have hoped that the lift and shift would be extended beyond it’s posted expiry date. 

I suppose, but that's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight.  Lots of people did L&S not knowing or caring about L&S being extended, but rather they thought that cruises were going to sail by their sail date in 2021.  If they kept those FCCs to apply to those cruises instead of a refund, I think they would have a right to be frustrated when it feels like Royal is locking them into a cruise at an unknown date in the future.

I understand that RCI is a business and they are going to do what they have to do to survive, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who made that decision and will be slightly annoyed by it.

4 minutes ago, firefox247 said:

I suppose, but that's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight.  Lots of people did L&S not knowing or caring about L&S being extended, but rather they thought that cruises were going to sail by their sail date in 2021.  If they kept those FCCs to apply to those cruises instead of a refund, I think they would have a right to be frustrated when it feels like Royal is locking them into a cruise at an unknown date in the future.

I understand that RCI is a business and they are going to do what they have to do to survive, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who made that decision and will be slightly annoyed by it.

You can always cancel your cruise and the FCC will be reissued with an apply by date of April 30, 2023 and a sail by date of Sept 30, 2022.

you can also wait and I suspect that if Royal cancels the sailing  they will offer a limited L&S just like they did for the Quantum sailings that were cancelled. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

In fairness, lift and shift should be available for those reservations made before the pandemic started or any of their Cruise with Confidence, etc. was in place.  This one was and to have to pay $2,500. or more to move it seems very unfair.

I agree 100%. I made a mistake in my previous statement. Royal is taking a haircut with the L&S, not the FCC. 

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can always cancel your cruise and the FCC will be reissued with an apply by date of April 30, 2023 and a sail by date of Sept 30, 2022.

you can also wait and I suspect that if Royal cancels the sailing  they will offer a limited L&S just like they did for the Quantum sailings that were cancelled. 

Any word on if they'll make the FCC's transferrable? With prices for 2022 the way they are people may not be able to afford to cruise even with the FCC. If not, they'll just lose them? Doesn't sound fair to me. Hopefully the L&S will be extended as well. 

Edited by Mapleleafforever

Just now, Mapleleafforever said:

Any word on if they'll make the FCC's transferable? With prices for 2022 the way they are people may not be able to afford to cruise even with the FCC. If not, they'll just lose them? Doesn't sound fair to me. Hopefully the L&S will be extended as well. 

Only transferable for people over 70 or minor  children. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Better than nothing I suppose. 

To be honest I don’t find pricing in general (always exceptions) to be that much different than what it was in the spring / summer of 2019 was.  

Yes, prices are absolutely up over what they had dropped to in 2020 however that is an unfair comparison and if people booked cruises in 2020 when prices were bottoming out and expecting prices to be similar to that in 2021, 2022 and beyond then they had very unrealistic expectations. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Still much can change but is this possibly a sign that prices will be up for the next few years? The cruise lines have so many FCC's that still have to be used and looks like they're taking a haircut with the FCC's. 

I meant they're taking a haircut with the L&S. 

5 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Under the pre-pandemic rules, cant you just pay $100 per person to move the reservation to August 2022.  $200 differerence is still much better than $2500.  I would call them.  They may even waive the fee.

Those fees are waived for cruises booked before April 30, 2021 that sail before April 30, 2022

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Those fees are waived for cruises booked before April 30, 2021 that sail before April 30, 2022

Exactly.  RC's response to my pm was a reference to the closing date of April 30,2022 and a "sorry for your disappointment."  My response was: " i would not call having to pay $2,500+ dollars more for a reservation that was in place prior to the emergence of the pandemic as a 'disappointment.'"

7 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

Exactly.  RC's response to my pm was a reference to the closing date of April 30,2022 and a "sorry for your disappointment."  My response was: " i would not call having to pay $2,500+ dollars more for a reservation that was in place prior to the emergence of the pandemic as a 'disappointment.'"

Not sure if you saw the thread that I just started regarding L&S.

Royal just announced that the L&S would still continue to be an option for sailings that they cancel

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

Umm, the Pandemic was already in play on March 14. Probably why you got a great rate.

• Like 1