Below Deck

I don’t normally watch “lifestyle shows” but so hungry am I to see a cruise boat and the beautiful ocean  I came across this on  Netflix.

Below Deck is a show about the crew on a luxury yacht, I am couple of episodes in and have been accused of watching “piffle”

make up your own minds.

Cheers Carole

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have watched a few series now, filmed in Med, Caribbean & SE Asia with both Captains Sandy & Lee. We find much of it interesting, including the guests they have onboard & the places they visit, but it seems that some of the crew are somewhat unbalanced, but I guess being cooped up together in such close quarters, sleep deprived & pandering to some of the most entitled people on the planet, would affect most people.

Like most 'reality' shows we wonder how much of the drama is scripted. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

My DIL works in the television industry and can confirm that it (reality tv) is very much scripted in most cases. Ben Elton was not too far out with several of his books on the industry.

Yes well, they don't put too much money or effort into the scripts.

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 11:22 AM, MicCanberra said:

My DIL works in the television industry and can confirm that it (reality tv) is very much scripted in most cases. Ben Elton was not too far out with several of his books on the industry.

Shock, horror Mic, are you telling us that reality TV shows are not “ real” 😱😱 OMG I will never be able to watch another show without thinking..Hmmm is that really happening.. I have now lost all faith in television shows ……..When does Married at First Sight start . 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Neither was The Office. For English comedy it was bottom of the barrell IMO.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

That is one show where the US version was better than the UK one.

Q.E.D

There are several of those SuperYacht shows on Youtube. Quite a few Aussies serve on them as deckhands, cooks, stewards etc. Would be a good life. But as has been said very cramped crew quarters.

Youtube and Netflix, keeping me sane.

22 hours ago, mr_ebblo said:

So ... anything goes here.

MicCanberra, maybe lost in translation, but who claimed that reality shows were supposed to be funny?

Might be just me, but whenever I see LOL (as other than Meta) it's never funny.

Critic Bird, are you saying that Lloyd ate a tapestry of bad seafood and now it's too late?

lyndarra, I liked the English version of The Office, but I have to watch anything with Ricky Gervais in it with Closed Captions on, because he speaks like he's got sh*t in his mouth. Life's Too Short - not a commentary, but watch it, and let me know if you think it's funny.

NSWP - what are the benefits of being sane?

Goodnight, now. 😀

The benefits of being sane? One does not normally end up in the looney bin.😬

17 hours ago, mr_ebblo said:

Hmmmm ... isn't Cruise Critic a bit of a looney bin?

I'm assumed that NSWP has something to do with New South Wales, but I googled it to be sure, and I got quite different results than expected.

Anyway, it was not my intention to hijack your thread, so after this post, I will return you to your regularly scheduled program.

But as long as I'm going down the YouTube rabbit hole, your comment made me think of King of Hearts, which is a wonderful movie from the 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-nxdyTOtE8

It's not embedding, but it is worth clicking, and watching the whole movie, if you can find it.

No worries at all...NSWP = Nice Sailing With Princess or New South Wales Person or New South Wales👮‍♂️.  Take thy pick.   Crikey I like pineapple.🍍

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, citric bird said:

I was trying to follow this thread, but as I do not speak Australian, I think it is time to fly the coop.

Carry on.

If you stay on here long enough you will learn Strayan.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:58 PM, GUT2407 said:

A mate’s som won the Block a few years back, he said it wasn’t so much scripted as the BS they were fed off screen to raise tempers and stress.

That's interesting. I have not been an avid Block viewer, but have kept an eye on it over the years. This year we are watching it closely as someone we know from country music is a contestant. Kirsty Akers & husband Jessie from up your way (Wangi) are on the show - Kirsty is originally from Kurri.

The focus of what is broadcast is on the drama & it seems that the some contestants are selected for the drama they will bring & the cross-advertising for other shows on Ch9 rather than their renovation skills.

Kirsty and Jessie are doing well & we are hoping they win some money - people in the music business could sure do with some $ with COVID impacting the live music scene.