2021 Alaskan cruise season will be cancelled

Hobie

50 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I can not figure out why so many supposedly intelligent people have so much difficulty differentiating the Jones Act passed in 1920 w the PVSA passed in 1886.  Why do so many people seem to think that they are somehow the same act or one law is part of the other law.  Totally mystifies me.

For those people, repeat over and over until it is permanently part of your memory 

"Jones - freight.  PVSA - people."

DON  

Maybe it's because some cruise lines treat its passengers as cargo.

I wonder if you could go on this one?

ACA0C251-8469-4054-8203-FC661C3A23FF_1_105_c.jpeg

I notice on page 2 of this forum that someone reported travel restrictions have been lifted except for Anchorage.  What exactly does that mean?  I'm booked on Uncruise  this mid May and they are telling me I need a PCR base test to get to Juneau.  With the time restriction of 72 hours, that is cutting it too close for me.  A rapid test would work but Uncruise is adamant they require this other test to get into the state.  Alaska Air thought a rapid test would suffice as they only require a negative result with no mention of PCR.  Seems I keep getting different answers.  Anyone?

6 minutes ago, Cattravel10 said:

I notice on page 2 of this forum that someone reported travel restrictions have been lifted except for Anchorage.  What exactly does that mean?  I'm booked on Uncruise  this mid May and they are telling me I need a PCR base test to get to Juneau.  With the time restriction of 72 hours, that is cutting it too close for me.  A rapid test would work but Uncruise is adamant they require this other test to get into the state.  Alaska Air thought a rapid test would suffice as they only require a negative result with no mention of PCR.  Seems I keep getting different answers.  Anyone?

It doesn't matter if a rapid test is adequate to enter Alaska. Uncruise protocols clearly require a negative PCR test no sooner than 3 days before the day of embarkation and they will also conduct two rapid antigen tests prior to embarkation. It's all very clearly stated on their website:

https://uncruise.com/pages/covid-travel-updates

15 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Holland America Alaska cruises into and out of Canada are cancelled.  Seattle departures are still a possibility.  

No, Seattle departures are not possible, because a foreign-flagged ship must make a port call in a foreign port, and the only foreign port option in that part of the world is Canada, which is closed to large cruise ships.

17 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No, Seattle departures are not possible, because a foreign-flagged ship must make a port call in a foreign port, and the only foreign port option in that part of the world is Canada, which is closed to large cruise ships.

We’ll see.  Alaska and the State of Washington haven’t given up yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

There's been no indication in DC of any interest in finding a work around for the PVSA. It can't be done by executive order because the law specifically permits a waiver only for national security purposes, so the only option is to amend the law. I think that's a real long shot at best.

There's a reason why most cruise lines stopped selling their Alaska cruises even if they haven't formally cancelled them. If they were at all optimistic they would have continued to accept new reservations on the cruises.

Edited by njhorseman

They may not have cruisers, but Alaska is surely getting ready for tourists.  I made some refundable reservations for a land vacation on the Kenai peninsula as a plan B when things looked pretty bleak for cruising a few months ago.  I just checked on line and my airfare has increased 50%, rental car doubled in price, and hotel prices went up $50/ night.  Kenai Princess Lodge is the same rate they have had for years - a bargain at $179/ night. All the activities we are interested in doing are open for business.  

2 minutes ago, funmaniac said:

All Alaska cruises out of Vancouver are cancelled till Feb 2022.

HAL just called me Feb 24, 2021. My Up/Down ALASKA cruises on two separate vessels for Sept 2021 are cancelled. Deposit to be refunded soon.

4 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Since cruise ships are prohibited from operating in Canadian waters, how do they plan to depart Seattle, while remaining in US waters until reaching open waters. Only the inbound lanes are in US Waters.

I want to be optimistic for all the cruisers out of Seattle but I seriously don’t think it’s going to happen as they aren’t even allowing the cancelled Vancouver cruises to move over to Seattle cruise, which in my opinion they would allow if Seattle was going to happen.  But then again I could be wrong.

8 hours ago, Cattravel10 said:

When I flew to Anchorage last summer I was required to take a free covid test at airport and required to take another within 2 weeks. They then required a valid negative test taken within 72 hrs. previous to landing or paying $280 to have test done at airport .Now what my nephew told me was all that has been discontinued. The mayor of Anchorage is still enforcing covid reg's in Anchorage(restaurants. businesses, etc.) On Alaska Air site they warn about intrastate travel reg's. Each town is enforcing their own rules. In fact the Iditarod race has been modified to keep people from going to Nome. These crazy rules seem to change monthly. I would Google Alaska Covid reg's to possibly get the latest. I will be going there this summer for 6 weeks one way or the other. Good luck with your venture.

Thank you Diesel.  This has been somewhat of a nightmare.  Uncruise did suggest yesterday using vaulthealth.com/covid for testing.  Turnaround of 24-48 hours.  Wonder if anyone has used this.  I've had both vaccines but guess this isn't enough.  Of course next month everything could change again.  I'll just do whatever I have to to get on the boat.

18 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Since cruise ships are prohibited from operating in Canadian waters, how do they plan to depart Seattle, while remaining in US waters until reaching open waters. Only the inbound lanes are in US Waters.

Ah, the traffic separation scheme:  I had forgotten about that.  Canadian pilots would be required for the outbound journey, wouldn't they?  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Ah, the traffic separation scheme:  I had forgotten about that.  Canadian pilots would be required for the outbound journey, wouldn't they?  

Negative on requiring a Canadian pilot, as Juan de Fuca is non-pilotage waters. The BC Coast pilots are picked up at the Brotchie Ledge VH Buoy about a mile off the breakwater.

It has been many years since I was in Seattle on a UK flagged ship, so can't remember where they pick up/drop off the US pilots. Even when in US waters, I did not require a pilot.

Was surprised a few minutes ago to see this below news story about a bi-partisan push in Congress to open up Canada for cruising this summer.  Getting top leaders from both political sides pushing this change is new.

From the Des Moines Register and USA Today this afternoon, they had this headline: Congress urges Canada to reevaluate banning cruises until 2022 with these highlights: “A U.S. congressional committee has asked Canada to reevaluate its ban on cruises, which prohibits ships from sailing in Canadian waters until March 2022.  On Wednesday, the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure sent a letter to Canadian ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman, hoping to 'encourage' the Canadian government to work with the U.S. government and the cruise industry to find a "mutually agreeable solution.'  In the letter, the committee expressed its 'concern regarding the potential economic impact on local businesses and communities,' saying that 'by closing Canadian ports to passenger vessels for another year, the livelihoods of tens of thousands of Americans and Canadians are at risk from more job losses and further economic devastation.'  Canada's ban not only impacts ships in Canadian waters, it also puts a roadblock in the way of cruises in Alaska, New England, Washington State or the Great Lakes.  Because of this, many of the cruises scheduled to sail in U.S. waters in areas such as Alaska would need to stop at a port in Canada, which is not permitted by the country's ban. Many cruise lines, including Holland America and Princess Cruises, have already canceled their Alaska seasons as a result.”

Interesting development?  Yesterday in the Wall Street quarterly briefing to the top stock analysts, the Norwegian Cruise Line CEO displayed some serious "hope" that the 2021 Alaska season could salvaged.  BUT, the other major cruise lines have already  gone ahead and scrubbed this summer's sailing.  Who's right?

Full story at:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/02/26/cruise-ship-ban-us-congress-urges-canada-reconsider/6832697002/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Completed 2019 summer with Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Musse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Was surprised a few minutes ago to see this below news story about a bi-partisan push in Congress to open up Canada for cruising this summer.  Getting top leaders from both political sides pushing this change is new.

From the Des Moines Register and USA Today this afternoon, they had this headline: Congress urges Canada to reevaluate banning cruises until 2022 with these highlights: “A U.S. congressional committee has asked Canada to reevaluate its ban on cruises, which prohibits ships from sailing in Canadian waters until March 2022.  On Wednesday, the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure sent a letter to Canadian ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman, hoping to 'encourage' the Canadian government to work with the U.S. government and the cruise industry to find a "mutually agreeable solution.'  In the letter, the committee expressed its 'concern regarding the potential economic impact on local businesses and communities,' saying that 'by closing Canadian ports to passenger vessels for another year, the livelihoods of tens of thousands of Americans and Canadians are at risk from more job losses and further economic devastation.'  Canada's ban not only impacts ships in Canadian waters, it also puts a roadblock in the way of cruises in Alaska, New England, Washington State or the Great Lakes.  Because of this, many of the cruises scheduled to sail in U.S. waters in areas such as Alaska would need to stop at a port in Canada, which is not permitted by the country's ban. Many cruise lines, including Holland America and Princess Cruises, have already canceled their Alaska seasons as a result.”

Interesting development?  Yesterday in the Wall Street quarterly briefing to the top stock analysts, the Norwegian Cruise Line CEO displayed some serious "hope" that the 2021 Alaska season could salvaged.  BUT, the other major cruise lines have already  gone ahead and scrubbed this summer's sailing.  Who's right?

Full story at:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/02/26/cruise-ship-ban-us-congress-urges-canada-reconsider/6832697002/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Completed 2019 summer with Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Musse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Even if they managed to convince the Federal Government to rescind the cruise ship ban order, you also have the BC Govt to deal with. Our Provincial Health Officer can prevent pax from coming ashore, mandating the 14-day quarantine plan that is currently in-force.

25 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Even if they managed to convince the Federal Government to rescind the cruise ship ban order, you also have the BC Govt to deal with. Our Provincial Health Officer can prevent pax from coming ashore, mandating the 14-day quarantine plan that is currently in-force.

You’ve forgotten something.  The people ‘advocating’ for the Government of Canada to give up on their goal of protecting Canadians’ health are not the least bit interested in visiting Canada..... NORTH, to Alaska!!

Oh, and BTW, they could care less about the impact of the Ministerial Order on Eastern Canadian cruise destinations.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

A U.S. congressional committee has asked Canada to reevaluate its ban on cruises, which prohibits ships from sailing in Canadian waters until March 2022.  On Wednesday, the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure sent a letter to Canadian ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman, hoping to 'encourage' the Canadian government to work with the U.S. government and the cruise industry to find a "mutually agreeable solution.'  

The House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure is chaired by a member of the same Party as the President of the United States.  The initial contacts between President Biden and Prime Minister Trudeau have reportedly been more cordial than the relationship that the Prime Minister had with the 45th President of the United States.  Who knows what might develop?

23 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

It has been many years since I was in Seattle on a UK flagged ship, so can't remember where they pick up/drop off the US pilots.

I am nearly certain that I have heard a ship's Master say something about picking up/dropping off a pilot while in that waterway.  Maybe at Port Angeles?  I really did think that Canadian pilots were also required, but, maybe that was when we were sailing into or from Vancouver.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am nearly certain that I have heard a ship's Master say something about picking up/dropping off a pilot while in that waterway.  Maybe at Port Angeles?  I really did think that Canadian pilots were also required, but, maybe that was when we were sailing into or from Vancouver.  

When departing Vancouver, the BC Coast Pilot takes the ship down Haro Strait, alters at Discovery Island and then again at Trial Islands, following the traffic separation scheme. The pilot disembarks at Brotchie Ledge, just off the Victoria Harbour Breakwater.

The ships then alter SSW following the traffic lane to Race Rocks, where they alter to Stbd, following the traffic lanes through Juan de Fuca.

From a very hazy memory, the Seattle ships exit Puget Sound, following the traffic lane toward Port Angeles, where I believe they drop the pilot. They continue in the traffic lanes, entering Canadian Waters south of Race Rocks. Similar to Vancouver ships they follow the same traffic lanes through Juan de Fuca.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

the Seattle ships exit Puget Sound, following the traffic lane toward Port Angeles, where I believe they drop the pilot

That sounds familiar.  

I have always enjoyed watching my ship sail through the Straits of Juan de Fuca.

There has been more than one occasion when it became quite clear that our ship had left the protected Straits and entered the Pacific Ocean.

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There has been more than one occasion when it became quite clear that our ship had left the protected Straits and entered the Pacific Ocean.

Oh! you bet. Most extreme I had was departing Vancouver bound for Honolulu in a severe winter storm in early December 1977. Fortunately this was SS Oriana, a great ocean liner and not modern tonnage.

• Like 1