Breast cancer - and travel insurance??

bazzaw

On 2/13/2021 at 11:31 AM, NSWP said:

The sun damage is done in our youth. But saying that my late wife was never a sun worshipper, but the Big C got her last year, almost every organ in the lower body got the big C, 6 months after diagnosis, finality and it was not pretty. Chemo, surgery, no chance.

47 years of marriage gone. Life is hard now.

Hope you are doing alright. its very sad to hear it. We come to this world for just some time and its better to spend it being loved and sharing love with other.. its sad to realize that not all people understand it.. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Hope you are doing alright. its very sad to hear it. We come to this world for just some time and its better to spend it being loved and sharing love with other.. its sad to realize that not all people understand it.. 

I appreciate your thoughts Roger88.💗

I went through a horrible cancer journey a few years ago. Proud to call myself a survivor, best wishes to those fighting now.

As for Travel insurance and cancer, the two don't mix very well. Over the past 5 years, I have had numerous discussions with Insurance companies, the Ombudsman department and so on. The majority of Insurer's won't touch cancer. Of the ones that do, they are selective as to what types of cancer, what stage of treatment and how current or long ago, & they will charge a hefty premium for it if they do. Not unsual for quotes to be 4 figures and they generally will not give annual policies.

Luckily, for you, Breast cancer is probably the most covered type of cancer insurance. 

Insure and go and Tick have both covered me in the past for the best value rates. All Clear is another that will usually cover you.  The rest iof the companies nvolve a lot of trial and error, filling out lengthy forms, phone calls, etc, often to only be told no.

But it's a necessary eveil. If you don't have the coverage and you are overseas and you get sick, and they can relate it back due to complications of the cancer or it's treatment, you will not be covered unless you have taken out the extra pre- existing medical coverage.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 7:25 PM, PurpleTraveller said:

My first cruise was two years after my Breast Cancer diagnosis. For that cruise and all others since my travel insurance has covered everything except anything to do with my Breast Cancer. 

😊

Sounds good. Who have you Insured through? 

On 2/16/2021 at 7:25 PM, PurpleTraveller said:

25 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Sounds good. Who have you Insured through? 

Bazzaw - can I suggest that you contact an Insurance Broker or speak to the Company you have Insurance with now? (Your House, car, Health Insurance etc) Suncorp, who do all our Insurances and also have Travel Insurance are great to deal with personally.

If you do it this way you can ask all the questions you want of someone who is actually qualified to answer them and get the right answers for you and your wife. As I’m sure all our policies are slightly different and suit each of us personally.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 8:25 PM, PurpleTraveller said:

My first cruise was two years after my Breast Cancer diagnosis. For that cruise and all others since my travel insurance has covered everything except anything to do with my Breast Cancer. 

Wishing you both all the very best for the future. 😊

But if when overseas or even on a ship around Australia you get crook, like have a relapse from the non declared and non insured cancer, you are are on your own and could go bankrupt with the medical bills.

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But if when overseas or even on a ship around Australia you get crook, like have a relapse from the non declared and non insured cancer, you are are on your own and could go bankrupt with the medical bills.

Purple Traveller didn't say that her breast cancer was undeclared, just that it wasn't covered. If she becomes ill on a cruise to Australian ports, she can receive medical treatment in our hospital system. If she had a relapse while overseas, the only option would be to return home as soon as possible for treatment. From what I am aware, a relapse or anything related to breast cancer would not be an urgent matter the way a heart attack would be.

40 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Purple Traveller didn't say that her breast cancer was undeclared, just that it wasn't covered. If she becomes ill on a cruise to Australian ports, she can receive medical treatment in our hospital system. If she had a relapse while overseas, the only option would be to return home as soon as possible for treatment. From what I am aware, a relapse or anything related to breast cancer would not be an urgent matter the way a heart attack would be.

Travel insurance is required for cruises within Australian Waters. A bit risky travelling with cancer if you are not covered by travel insurance for that, in my opinion. Sure she could seek treatment via medicare at an Australian Port, but not at sea, she would have to be off loaded at a port. 

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Travel insurance is required for cruises within Australian Waters. A bit risky travelling with cancer if you are not covered by travel insurance for that, in my opinion. Sure she could seek treatment via medicare at an Australian Port, but not at sea, she would have to be off loaded at a port. 

Would any treatment for cancer be so urgent that a person could not return home?

41 minutes ago, sanne said:

Please could you recommend a Travel Insurance broker. That seems like a very good option to sort out a suitable travel insurance. Thanks.

Don’t personally use one, it was a suggestion.
I would Google -Travel Insurance Broker. Or ring the company that you have car, house or health insurance with.

Or your Bank probably does Travel Insurance. 

Edited by Porky55

Just now, Porky55 said:

Don’t personally use one, it was a suggestion.
I would Google -Travel Insurance Broker. Or ring the company that you have car, house or health insurance with.

NRMA are ok, had a couple of claims with them, they use Covermore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Exactly right! My cancer is declared but not covered with my insurance. I travel with the blessing of my wonderful doctors and have my checkups religiously. I can not imagine anything to do with my cancer coming up during my travels or cruises that would be so urgent that I could not get home from wherever I am. 

6 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Would any treatment for cancer be so urgent that a person could not return home?

That's my thinking. Cancer is not like a stroke or heart attack. I've been in remission (if that's what it's called) from bowel cancer for almost twenty years. I've never bothered declaring it to my CC insurer.

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Some cancers are very fast.  What we call collectively call cancer is actually about 250 different diseases with differing causes, treatments and progression rates.  It does depend what you have and having a good understanding of your particular illness when making a decision to travel.

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Some cancers are very fast.  What we call collectively call cancer is actually about 250 different diseases with differing causes, treatments and progression rates.  It does depend what you have and having a good understanding of your particular illness when making a decision to travel.

Agreed - there are many different cancers, with differing progression rates, but the situation we are talking about is not someone who has just been diagnosed and whether they should have treatment or travel. We are talking about someone who has undergone a double mastectomy and chemo and is months down the track of recovery. If she wants to travel and can get travel insurance (excluding anything relevant to the cancer) then I think she should go for it. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed - there are many different cancers, with differing progression rates, but the situation we are talking about is not someone who has just been diagnosed and whether they should have treatment or travel. We are talking about someone who has undergone a double mastectomy and chemo and is months down the track of recovery. If she wants to travel and can get travel insurance (excluding anything relevant to the cancer) then I think she should go for it. 

Good point.  Agreed.

Hope your wife is getting on as best she can.

my problem isn’t cancer fortunately, it is severe spinal issues, including fractures, tumours (benign fortunately) and a stack of other issues.

it isn’t covered by travel insurance and the premiums go through the roof.

Just one reason our cruising remains in and around Australia, I can’t image anything so bad that I couldn’t just drug myself out of my tiny little brain and see out the next few days till I am in Port and covered by Medicare.

a year or so back we were going to do the Hawaii round trip and possibly the Circle Pacific, my GP, who was also a friend, called me all sorts of names, as he said worst case I am about 3 or 4 weeks from Medical Care in Australia, Mrs Gut is allowed to fly, so she has to sail home while I stay in a hospital charging, tens of thousands a day.

But compared to you and your dear wife my conditions are nothing, thoughts are with you both. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisine21 said:

My cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer at 48. Sadly it spread and she passed away. My uncle had melanoma and had the all clear. 15 years later they discovered a 30cm tumour on his brain and he was gone in less than 2 months.

That is a cheery comment. 😁

34 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That is a cheery comment. 😁

Sure is, not !! I recently had a massive malignant melanoma removed from left upper arm, 6 inch cut down to the muscle. Don't think I will wait around for 15 yrs for the other one in the scone, as reported by cruisine21.

I had to learn to do everything right handed for 3 months, as I am left handed.

Edited by NSWP