will the crew have to get the vaccine before we cruise

MooNGaTe27

19 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Except that many governments are not going to approve every vaccine so there could well be an opportunity for corporations to purchase vaccines. 

As vaccine shortages become more commonplace I feel that governments will be approving more and more in order to speed up the process. 

Just now, Mapleleafforever said:

As vaccine shortages become more commonplace I feel that governments will be approving more and more in order to speed up the process. 

Somehow I'm not sure that you will ever see the Canadian and US government approve the Sputnik vaccine.  Also the current shortages will become less and less as production ramps up and vaccines already purchased by countries get their final approval.

55 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Somehow I'm not sure that you will ever see the Canadian and US government approve the Sputnik vaccine.  Also the current shortages will become less and less as production ramps up and vaccines already purchased by countries get their final approval.

As to the US, by April or May there will be enough vaccine from Pfizer, Moderna, J&J and Novavax to fully vaccinate every adult.  Several manufacturers were hedging their commitment to production until vaccines approved.  Pf & M chose to completely redo production lines.  Short term reduction for hundreds of millions more doses later 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BSocial said:

This is where I am not understanding, sorry.   Where, or to whom, will the Cruise lines apply for it ?     Thanks 

The same place that pharmacies, small medical clinics and other providers of medical services are doing and have done. 

The lines have many doctors working for them and can contact McKesson Drug.  McKesson was selected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Aug. 14, 2020, the company is operating as a centralized distributor for COVID-19 vaccines and ancillary supply kits. Under the centralized model, the U.S. government directs McKesson on all aspects of distribution, including where and when to ship vaccines and ancillary supply kits to point-of-care sites across the country.

They have to meet the qualifications needed to qualify for the orders and the phase of patients they will be administering the vaccines to..  

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

My appointment isn't until April and that's only because I stumbled upon a cancelation.

There are (for example only) 26 CVS pharmacies in New York that are beginning to immunize as of today.

Other pharmacy chains are lined up as well..

I know that it is very tough to get an appointment.

Each store opens up for scheduled appointments when they know a shipment will be delivered. 

The slots fill up quickly and when the stores know they have more in stock they open up their sites to make new appointments.

Try:

CVS.COM

WALGREENS.COM

Each store will be immunizing from 100 to 200 or more patients a day.

Good Luck

Henry

3 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Why should any private corporation be able to purchase ANY vaccine before government entities. If any foreign government wants to purchase fine . 

Thats different.

3 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Until every Government has enough doses (of whatever vaccine) it sure is......

So if the Russian government offers vaccine for sell (as they have), RCG should sit back and say "nope, we aren't interested in purchasing until all the worlds governments have what they need"?

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

So if the Russian government offers vaccine for sell (as they have), RCG should sit back and say "nope, we aren't interested in purchasing until all the worlds governments have what they need"?

I would think the larger countries would have the resources and needs to purchase before some of the smaller countries.

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sputnik has now been approved in Mexico. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Won't happen until Governments have all their doses and I'm not sure Royal would want to administer vaccines anyway. They'd be hella liable if complications should arise from such vaccines. The kind of liability that the drug makers and governments are immune to (pun intented) currently. 

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't understand either and this is just another CC speculation. They keep adding groups to the eligibility and opening more sites but the vaccines are not available to for distribution. If some how the cruise lines find a way of obtaining the vaccine it won't happen for a long time. My DIL is a NYC school teacher. Her union signed a contract with NYU school of Medicine  so that the teachers could be vaccinated.  However, was for city/state public servants not a foreign flagged travel business.

My daughter,a NYC school teacher was able to get the vaccine the first week it was available.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I still don't see it being approved in the US or Canada

It doesn't make any difference if we use the Sputnik here in the US or Canada, it will be accepted unless you like the idea of not being able to travel to much of the world - Brazil, Mexico, the middle-east, India and many more are using the Russian vaccine.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

It doesn't make any difference if we use the Sputnik here in the US or Canada, it will be accepted unless you like the idea of not being able to travel to much of the world - Brazil, Mexico, the middle-east, India and many more are using the Russian vaccine.  

I'd love to be able to get the Sputnik. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I still don't see it being approved in the US or Canada

IMHO, Whether the U.S. or Canada approves a specific vaccine will probably be irrelevant in the end. If the W.H.O approves a vaccine, all member countries will be required to accept it as a valid vaccine even if it hasn’t been through the FDA or EMA review process.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

IMHO, Whether the U.S. or Canada approves a specific vaccine will probably be irrelevant in the end. If the W.H.O approves a vaccine, all member countries will be required to accept it as a valid vaccine even if it hasn’t been through the FDA or EMA review process.

I agree but if you saw my conversation with that poster that was not the issue

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That wasn't the issue

• Like 1

Just now, Mapleleafforever said:

I would LOVE to take a trip anywhere that isn't work, home, or the grocery store ASAP 😂😭

You and me both.

I took a chance and just booked a 1 week trip to Banff for July.  Great deal on flights ($1076 for 4, return on A/C) and car rental, hotels and excursions I don't pay until we arrive and they are fully cancellable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You and me both.

I took a chance and just booked a 1 week trip to Banff for July.  Great deal on flights ($1076 for 4, return on A/C) and car rental, hotels and excursions I don't pay until we arrive and they are fully cancellable.

Funny you mention that......We've been discussing going to Banff this summer as well!! That's a great deal!

One of President Biden's first acts in office was to sign up the US to Covax, which is the World Health Organizations scheme for equitable distribution of Covid-19 vaccine to poorer countries. As it is today, of the eight Covid vaccines given around the world, only two are used in the US. At least four had their development highly subsidized by the US, yet we receive only an allocated distribution. Several countries are reported to have a higher percentage of there population vaccinated. I see no reason that the vaccination of crew members will be delayed beyond that caused by the expected requirement that cruisers be vaccinated. ( at leased I hope so)

3 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Funny you mention that......We've been discussing going to Banff this summer as well!! That's a great deal!

There is one fight per day that they have for around $130 pp.  The times change every couple of days.  Two days ago I was looking at the 7:45 departure and then today when I went to book it was an 8:45 departure for the cheap flight.  Same thing on the return.  It's about half the price as the rest of the flights.

I originally looked at Swoop but they are charging $50 for a checked bag AND $50 for a carry on...No thanks

I have the TD Aeroplan visa so 1st checked bag for up to 9 additional guests is free.

• Like 1