Uniworld River Cruise Line Confirms May Restart – Or Not...

Host Jazzbeau

1 hour ago, GoesBoom said:

Maybe it is because Viking owns their boats.  I think Uniworld leases theirs, I could be wrong.

Douro Azul is a big player on the Douro river and owns most of the boats except for Viking, CroisiEurope and Scylla. They do own the one of Uniworld.

steamboats

From the Uniworld website.  Who owns this ship?

"Debuting in 2021, S.S. São Gabriel will be the newest ship on the Douro river. Designed to embody the beautiful Douro River Valley region, this ship will offer more lavishly appointed suites than the Queen Isabel and bring the destination to life through its décor and delectable food and wine. Butler service will be added onboard, giving guests the option to dine at any time they’d like while enjoying the ship."

6 minutes ago, GoesBoom said:

As of today, the S.S. São Gabriel is on the move.  Presently moored at ENTRES-OS-RIOS.  Maybe a trial run.

So say it's a go..I am flying in from Boston arriving on 29th but I cannot "get in" the county till 5/30 day of sailing. Now what do I do.  Do I change the ticket to fly to a country that will have me and take a Ryan air over the next day?  If I get there day of, I should be ok because it is in Porto day two but this is no way to take a "vacation". The stress is knocking me sideways.

So, where do you change planes? I don’t see a Boston to Porto nonstop.  Present arrival time in Porto?  I think you previously mentioned you were on Delta.  Might be changing at AMS.  I believe there is a hotel inside AMS.  If all true, Delta might be willing to let you layover in AMS and fly into Porto on the 30th.

1 hour ago, GoesBoom said:

So, where do you change planes? I don’t see a Boston to Porto nonstop.  Present arrival time in Porto?  I think you previously mentioned you were on Delta.  Might be changing at AMS.  I believe there is a hotel inside AMS.  If all true, Delta might be willing to let you layover in AMS and fly into Porto on the 30th.

I get to AMS at 8 am on 5/29.  Yes possible to hang a day there but you cannot reach anyone at these airlines to find out. I suppose if you get there and you are in purgatory you are not alone, I cannot be the only one on that flight.  If I could just get conformation if it was a go I would go ahead and change the flight to go in same day and hope it wasn't a fortune. TAP wanted 8900.00 to fly into porto 5/29 in coach.

1 minute ago, CUTTERSAM said:

I get to AMS at 8 am on 5/29.  Yes possible to hang a day there but you cannot reach anyone at these airlines to find out. I suppose if you get there and you are in purgatory you are not alone, I cannot be the only one on that flight.  If I could just get conformation if it was a go I would go ahead and change the flight to go in same day and hope it wasn't a fortune. TAP wanted 8900.00 to fly into porto 5/29 in coach.

And then there's the luggage!!

Is there a late flight out of AMS that would get into Porto after midnight?  That would technically be May 30...  [Note:  I wouldn't want to do it this way, but just throwing out another possibility.  I would book 2 nights at the AMS hotel so my room was ready on arrival to sleep off jet lag, then take a flight the next morning to Porto and expect to arrive fresh enough for some sightseeing before the cruise officially starts.]

37 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Is there a late flight out of AMS that would get into Porto after midnight?  That would technically be May 30...  [Note:  I wouldn't want to do it this way, but just throwing out another possibility.  I would book 2 nights at the AMS hotel so my room was ready on arrival to sleep off jet lag, then take a flight the next morning to Porto and expect to arrive fresh enough for some sightseeing before the cruise officially starts.]

I am just going to change my ticket to leave use on 5/29, get into porto at 11 am on 5/30. if I get delayed I still have time and if I don't get there until 5/31 boat has not left Porto as first night is overnight. It's the easiest solution. I wish they would just cancel it tho, this is no way to vacation.

• Like 1

We are on Prague to Budapest cruise on June 28th so I asked TA to contact Uniworld yesterday to find out what was happening. Informed that they have cancelled cruises until 14th June and will review this one week at a time so I might find out on 28th May. This is a poor show, I know that there is a lot of uncertainty but I have Viking cruises in August and these have been cancelled so I would have hoped that Uniworld would have some idea by now about June.

Well, as of Monday, Brits are allowed into Portugal.  I’m sure Uniworld is pushing their Portugal cruises.  Might sail with Brits and EU passengers only if Americans not allowed in.  The São Gabriel Is still underway this morning.  Looks more and more like a test voyage.

And Uniworld started marketing and selling to Germans through an agent late last year. There definitely is a customer base, old and new, for Douro river cruises apart from the North Americans.

notamermaid

I predict the next week will be exciting.  With Italy opening up to all Americans who fly in on covid tested flights and Greece being open, those countries presently not open to Americans may suddenly rush to open.  The grab for the all mighty tourist dollar!  I find some of the best information on IFAR.COM. 

14 minutes ago, GoesBoom said:

I predict the next week will be exciting.  With Italy opening up to all Americans who fly in on covid tested flights and Greece being open, those countries presently not open to Americans may suddenly rush to open.  The grab for the all mighty tourist dollar!  I find some of the best information on IFAR.COM. 

I am closer to packing than I have been in weeks.  It'll be like the old days when you jumped on a 3 day junket to Las Vegas a day's notice, smoked and drank yourself silly, came home broke with three stops and It was a blur. If you could remember it, you weren't really there.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, CUTTERSAM said:

I am closer to packing than I have been in weeks.

I do hope that you can go. Portugal is beautiful and a lovely place to spend a week. But I can't imagine the stress you must be going through, wondering whether you can actually go there, or not!

The only remotely similar thing that happened to us was in 2013. We were supposed to sail on the Danube but that June there was a massive flood, so our trip was canceled less than a week before we were scheduled to fly to Germany! We went anyway, with only half of the trip planned, and a big blank spot in the middle, which we made up on the fly after we arrived. It turned out to be amazing. But your situation is even more out of your control. Good luck; we are all cheering for you!

• Like 2