Spain Portugal cruise in April?

Tikka234

Nothing is ever certain, especially the BoB, but April is a pretty good time of year. Warm, possibly some showers, but the big advantage is that it will not be that crowded (obviously the Canaries are a year found destination, so always  busy) 

Just now, terrierjohn said:

I would go with the Canaries, I think the weather should be better there.

Strangely enough, the weather can be a bit iffy in the Canaries in the Spring. 

I think the OP needs to decide if the priorities are interesting ports with lots of places of interest, which would mean Portugal or Spain, or ports with a more touristy feel, which would mean the Canaries. 

(Yes - a vast generalisation, I know)   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, john watson said:

Agree with the choice but for political reasons with EU

Regards John

Well, that's an interesting comment - exactly why does the Canary Islands being an autonomous region of the EU, make any difference to the choice of cruise?

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, that's an interesting comment - exactly why does the Canary Islands being an autonomous region of the EU, make any difference to the choice of cruise?

A lot of EU rules which might be imposed in Spain are not necessarily going to be implemented in the Canary Islands. 

Regards John

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, john watson said:

A lot of EU rules which might be imposed in Spain are not necessarily going to be implemented in the Canary Islands. 

Regards John

And similarly a lot of ruies in the Canaries are not implemented in Spain. The current curfew in Lanzarote for example.

It is no basis on which to select a cruise. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And similarly a lot of rules in the Canaries are not implemented in Spain. The current curfew in Lanzarote for example.

If you miss Lanzarote as a port you could go to another island or have a sea day.  If you miss the EU you could have a number of sea days.

Regards John

1 minute ago, john watson said:

If you miss Lanzarote as a port you could go to another island or have a sea day.  If you miss the EU you could have a number of sea days.

Regards John

Sorry, I know I am going on a bit, but spell out for me exactly what ruies you think might be implemented  at 24 hours notice by the EU.

By your logic, no one should book a Mediterranean cruise ever again.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And similarly a lot of ruies in the Canaries are not implemented in Spain. The current curfew in Lanzarote for example.

Totally agree that it is no basis on which to book a cruise. Not sure what you mean about the Lanzarote curfew. Areas of mainland Spain (Andalucia for instance) currently have a curfew between 10pm and 6 am. All cafès, bars and restaurants also have to close at 6pm.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, I know I am going on a bit, but spell out for me exactly what rules you think might be implemented  at 24 hours notice by the EU.

The EU could close borders and there is a tendency of them to act as a bloc.

I cannot see how you think no one should book a Mediterranean cruise ever again.  We are living through uncertain times and I have never said that the current conditions of Coronavirus will condemn us for ever.  Vaccinations will endure and when they are completed on a world-wide basis things will revert to nearer normal.

Regards John

36 minutes ago, john watson said:

I cannot see how you think no one should book a Mediterranean cruise ever again.  We are living through uncertain times and I have never said that the current conditions of Coronavirus will condemn us for ever.  Vaccinations will endure and when they are completed on a world-wide basis things will revert to nearer normal.

Regards John

No cruise to Ireland either then. It's a totally spurious reason for telling someone to choose a cruise to the Canaries. 

You will also be aware that far from acting as a block, all the EU countries have taken differing stands regarding lock downs, curfews etc, so your rationale does not really hold water.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Totally agree that it is no basis on which to book a cruise. Not sure what you mean about the Lanzarote curfew. Areas of mainland Spain (Andalucia for instance) currently have a curfew between 10pm and 6 am. All cafès, bars and restaurants also have to close at 6pm.

Sorry, probably not the best example to give. 

What I was trying to say, is that various regions throughout Europe all have differing restrictions, and saying that the Canaries is a better option than anywhere else in the EU is totally fatuous. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, probably not the best example to give. 

What I was trying to say, is that various regions throughout Europe all have differing restrictions, and saying that the Canaries is a better option than anywhere else in the EU is totally fatuous. 

I thought we were only talking about France and Spain, why are you bringing other countries?  The Canary Islands are a nice cruise probably trouble free.

Regards John

8 hours ago, john watson said:

I thought we were only talking about France and Spain, why are you bringing other countries?  The Canary Islands are a nice cruise probably trouble free.

Regards John

Yes, but you made the comment about the EU operating as a bloc, hence why I bought  other countries into the discussion. 

9 hours ago, john watson said:

So your argument is to avoid cruises to EU bloc countries. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

Areas of mainland Spain (Andalucia for instance) currently have a curfew between 10pm and 6 am. All cafès, bars and restaurants also have to close at 6pm.

That's not true!

Madrid has a curfew from 11pm to 6 am. Bars and restaurants are open until 11 pm but limited to groups of 4 inside and 6 outside.

Our cruise was late March around the Canary Islands, Madeira & Lisbon on 

the way back was decent weather ,on the way back to Southampton the weather 

got cooler as you would expect. The only fly in the ointment was Lisbon it's self  ,

we had a lovely sail in ,docked and one hour later the heavens opened and never 

gave up until we left port but that was just us being unlucky I suppose .

Given the chance of booking that cruise again , I think we would have done so.

44 minutes ago, Esprit said:

That's not true!

Madrid has a curfew from 11pm to 6 am. Bars and restaurants are open until 11 pm but limited to groups of 4 inside and 6 outside.

Sorry. Just realised Madrid's curfew rules are different from Andalucia.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Sorry. Just realised Madrid's curfew rules are different from Andalucia.

Which just shows that restrictions vary from region to region, letvalobe from country to country,   so talking about "bloc" restrictions in the context of choosing a cruise seems a little strange

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

I seem to recall a few months ago that the Canaries Government inferred that if the EU made life difficult for Brits traveling that they would positively encourage them, even as far as slashing tourist taxes for Brits. Canaries may open up to cruises quicker than the mainland.

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I seem to recall a few months ago that the Canaries Government inferred that if the EU made life difficult for Brits traveling that they would positively encourage them, even as far as slashing tourist taxes for Brits. Canaries may open up to cruises quicker than the mainland.

Indeed, but that would be part of a structured approach, not one that would be implemented overnight, causing a cruuse ship to suddenly be unable to dock in Spain or Portugal.

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, I know I am going on a bit, but spell out for me exactly what ruies you think might be implemented  at 24 hours notice by the EU.

Didn't Macron do that with Lorry drivers?