Excursions

richbum

Not sure really, I think it will all depend on what covid does and the perception of that.   When masks are no longer required I think we will be free again.   I First the states and ports of call will need to lift restrictions.  That will start being a debate sometime in August.  But I am not sure when the cruise industry will feel comfortable with it.  

• Like 1

I have been looking at excursions for our trip next year...and they are so much more expensive than ones we have looked at in the past. I have never taken a shore sponsored excursion before...I like doing what I want at port and not being rushed....I hope it returns to this soon after cruising starts!

A lot will have to do with the ports/islands/countries themselves.  Many still have stringent policies and restrictions on incoming tourists/people.  Until covid rates get under control I do not think they will allow people to wander freely on their own.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, richbum said:

I have been looking at excursions for our trip next year...and they are so much more expensive than ones we have looked at in the past. I have never taken a shore sponsored excursion before...I like doing what I want at port and not being rushed....I hope it returns to this soon after cruising starts!

Yes, there have been people quoting reasonable rates for excursions in the lines that are now cruising in Europe as if that will somehow translate into the same thing happening with the mainstream lines in the USA. Personally, I have my doubts that they will lower their previous overpriced rates when they have a monopoly on debarkations in ports. JMHO.

Remember that the port restrictions are there as protection for the local population.  When we Americans visit a foreign port, we are seen as potentially dangerous to them. 

Most Caribbean ports (and frankly, most of the rest of the world) have done a much better job of mitigation and prevention than we have in the States, and with less animosity and push back from their people.

So will the cruise lines pervert this to enhance their bottom line?  Of course.  Vaccinations and attaining herd immunity may lessen the threat visitors pose to a port, but that may not be likely for another year or so, and be dragged out by the cruise lines.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, richbum said:

You’re lucky they haven’t even posted them for our Europe cruise yet

16 hours ago, mredandchis said:

Not sure really, I think it will all depend on what covid does and the perception of that.   When masks are no longer required I think we will be free again.   I First the states and ports of call will need to lift restrictions.  That will start being a debate sometime in August.  But I am not sure when the cruise industry will feel comfortable with it.  

I heard Dr Fauci say the other day that we may still be wearing masks in 2022.

On 2/26/2021 at 11:36 AM, richbum said:

What do you all think...Will we be able to do excursions on our own by next year...or forced to do Carnival ones?

Well I for one sure hope so. We have had 3 cruises canceled in 2020 and 2 already this year. The thing that frustrates me is that if you are over 65, your excursions seem to be sit on the beach or ride in a bus. We are active seniors, own our own Segway's but are restricted from taking a Segway tour because we are over 65. Seriously? Paddle boards?  Not us, we are over 65. Come on Carnival! You want us to sail with you but when do we get to have that FUN you talk about. So booking excursions on our own is the only way we can get off the ship and enjoy our time ashore. Hope all are safe and see you onboard. 

• Like 1