Would you buy me a postcard? Hypothetical Question.

Esso11

On 4/9/2021 at 10:58 PM, ldubs said:

You have a good memory.  Better hang onto that wooden nickel.  Might be worth a fortune some day!  Well, probably not, but it won't be long before people don't even know what a wooden nickel is, or was.      

Wooden nickels, postcards, partyline phones, slide rules, abaci - all victims of technological progress.

Edited by evandbob

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

Wooden nickels, postcards, partyline phones, slide rules, abaci - all victims of technological progress.

We just got rid of the our land line.  To be honest I didn't even know the number.   

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have our land line including one phone attached to the kitchen wall.

When I tossed out the hand sets last week, I noticed a long list of missed calls.  I guess they aren't going to hear back from us now.  Haha.   

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

When I tossed out the hand sets last week, I noticed a long list of missed calls.  I guess they aren't going to hear back from us now.  Haha.   

Quite possibly they were spam calls.If they were real calls the person would have likely called you on your cell phone.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

Quite possibly they were spam calls.If they were real calls the person would have likely called you on your cell phone.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is the case.  I think I've won more nights at the Marriott than they have rooms!  😄

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is the case.  I think I've won more nights at the Marriott than they have rooms!  😄

But don't forget about your car warranty!

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think I've won more nights at the Marriott than they have rooms!  😄

I have passed up so many opportunities to claim my Publisher's Clearing House prize of millions that always included as part of the award a 2021 Lincoln in the color of my choice.  

2 minutes ago, clo said:

But don't forget about your car warranty!

I get phone calls as well as snail mail about a car that I have not owned since Novermber, 2019.  

35 minutes ago, ldubs said:

But, the real question is, do you still have the pocket protector?  😀

My slide rule would not fit into a pocket.  But, it did have its own sleeve in which it fit.  

17 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have our land line including one phone attached to the kitchen wall.

I will never relinquish my land line.  It's good to have more than one way to reach the outside world when one source fails.  My landline phones are in my living room and bedroom, but there is a phone jack on my kitchen wall as well.

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My slide rule would not fit into a pocket.  But, it did have its own sleeve in which it fit.  

I was thinking more in terms of all those guys who carried a slide rule also had a pocket protector for the 8 different pens and mechanical pencils they carried.  😄😄

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I will never relinquish my land line.  It's good to have more than one way to reach the outside world when one source fails.  My landline phones are in my living room and bedroom, but there is a phone jack on my kitchen wall as well.

Our landline was VoIP so required an internet connection.  So I guess there was no gain in redundancy over a cell phone that can use either my WIFI or cellular for calls.  We used a base phone system (hopefully I'm saying that right).   My house does not even have the old telephone loop wiring.   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have passed up so many opportunities to claim my Publisher's Clearing House prize of millions that always included as part of the award a 2021 Lincoln in the color of my choice.  

I get phone calls as well as snail mail about a car that I have not owned since Novermber, 2019.  

We have two in our bedroom,one in the den,one in the kitchen and one in our dining room.I very rarely use the cell phone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have two in our bedroom,one in the den,one in the kitchen and one in our dining room.I very rarely use the cell phone.

At least tell me they're cordless 🙂

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

3 are cordless ,one is attached to a wall in the kitchen and one is on a table    ,plugged into a wall.

We have a 2700 sq.ft. house with two stories. He has his phone and I have mine. For years now. And we have a second home. And we travel domestically a good bit.

22 minutes ago, clo said:

We have a 2700 sq.ft. house with two stories. He has his phone and I have mine. For years now. And we have a second home. And we travel domestically a good bit.

We had a much bigger home when we lived in NYC .Now we have a 1750 sq.ft.town house condo with 2 stories.We share the phones.We never had a second home.

17 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We had a much bigger home when we lived in NYC .Now we have a 1750 sq.ft.town house condo with 2 stories.We share the phones.We never had a second home.

Sorry but my point was that we have NO need for a landline.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We need to have two different phone numbers in case of emergencies.

Oh, we have two different numbers. With cell phones I'm guessing we have to.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh, we have two different numbers. With cell phones I'm guessing we have to.

We have three different numbers.You and Bob are a lot healthier than Mrs.66 and I and also a bit younger.It is important for my wife and I to have as much access as possible to family members.Three numbers has been sufficient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since I have a cell phone as well as a landline, I have two phone numbers.  And, I have two ways of calling 911 if I need to do so.  My landline, even with AT &T, has had difficulty--very rarely, but enough that I was appreciative of having my cell phone that is not connected with AT&T available.  In fact, I was calling AT&T on my cell phone to report the service issue with with their service!

The VoIP has been tempting; some really good "deals" with Spectrum that are offered.  But, a good friend went that route and she has had too frequent issues with Spectrum's service for me to make a change in "what has worked for me in the past".   Why change now at this stage of my life?