Local Cruises

Ataraxia

27 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

The local paper says Azura is still parked up on the Tyne, be marvellous if they did some round Britain cruises on her from Newcastle would save all us northerners and Scots having to schlep all the way down to Southampton. I think they'd sell out no bother. 🙏🤞🤞

Someone posted something similar on the P&O face ache page but P&O responded very clearly that they remain committed to basing all their ships in the Homeport of Southampton.

58 minutes ago, wowzz said:

At present, the shared pickups have been suspended,  as an anti CV19  precaution. And even when there was a shared pickup, there was only ever one other stop, so not a major issue.

I have often wondered how we would be treated with Saga's chauffeur service.  The shared ones are with a minibus, which Pauline could not handle, and there are no saloons that could accommodate 4 passengers, their luggage, and a wheelchair.

40 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have often wondered how we would be treated with Saga's chauffeur service.  The shared ones are with a minibus, which Pauline could not handle, and there are no saloons that could accommodate 4 passengers, their luggage, and a wheelchair.

Unfortunately I think you'd have to take the free carpark option.

On 3/13/2021 at 12:30 PM, Beckett said:

He did Sue. His actual words were " that's above my pay grade - about ten floors above". I guess that if these guys and girls are all working from home, no-one will hear what they say. At least he was honest! J.x

True but perhaps he should have tried to put you in touch with someone on a “higher pay grade”!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

True but perhaps he should have tried to put you in touch with someone on a “higher pay grade”!

I don’t think anyone on a higher pay grade currently has the time to answer questions about on sale dates right now, that’s a minor thing in the scale of things they are having to deal with. 

It should have just been a ‘we don’t have a confirmed date yet’.

• Like 1

Just wanted to add if anyone books this and they berth in Greenock to post up on here and I will happily give suggestions of trips.  I can also give you wave as you will sail straight past my  garden on the way there.  Do not do a walk off the ship in this port as there really isn't much near by.  But just 1 mile away by taxi will give you a incredible view of  the mountains in the west coast. And an easy trip further away some of the best scenery about .  Glasgow is also a worth while alternative if you prefer cities to scenery 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Just wanted to add if anyone books this and they berth in Greenock to post up on here and I will happily give suggestions of trips.  I can also give you wave as you will sail straight past my  garden on the way there.  Do not do a walk off the ship in this port as there really isn't much near by.  But just 1 mile away by taxi will give you a incredible view of  the mountains in the west coast. And an easy trip further away some of the best scenery about .  Glasgow is also a worth while alternative if you prefer cities to scenery 

We were told by another CC member that there is usually a stand offering free local trips of the Greenock area by locals eager to promote tourism.We did one of these excursions in a minibus and as you say, the scenery is stunning.The guides offer their time free of charge and there is just the option to make a contribution to the cost of petrol if wanted.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fragilek said:

We have had some very enjoyable visits to Greenock with the very helpful people at the terminal and the free tours (donations only) by Inverclyde Tourist Group. One of the ladies at information centre gave us a brochure of history of the houses and the people that lived there while walking along the promenade.

• Like 4

Great to hear that, though not sure when you undertook that tour as the local bus company have just recently got "the gig" but still at a quite reasonable price.  As a local I hated seeing cruise ship passengers walk about the local mall (needs condemned) as they had just walked off the ship when I knew just up the hill was an amazing view over the islands off Arran and the west coast.  I once approach 2 USA laddies to suggest a taxi up the hill but I forgot I was just recovering from AML treatment and looked awful at 2/3  the weight I should be and what looked like a crew cut - they turned and walked away ... very quickly lol

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

Great to hear that, though not sure when you undertook that tour as the local bus company have just recently got "the gig" but still at a quite reasonable price.  As a local I hated seeing cruise ship passengers walk about the local mall (needs condemned) as they had just walked off the ship when I knew just up the hill was an amazing view over the islands off Arran and the west coast.  I once approach 2 USA laddies to suggest a taxi up the hill but I forgot I was just recovering from AML treatment and looked awful at 2/3  the weight I should be and what looked like a crew cut - they turned and walked away ... very quickly lol

We did one of the 'free' tours in June 2019

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I am reasonably certain that Saga would arrange a disabled-friendly transfer - you would need to tell them well in advance that this would be required.

Saga use a variety of transport, some is owned by the Saga-Titan group, a lot is from Addison-Lee, and they also use other cab companies, so they have saloons, minibuses, people carriers and wheelchair enabled vehicles delivering to and collecting from the cruise terminals.

The shared transfers can be a bit hit&miss - we have been the only passengers in a shared going, we have also had three other drop-offs before ours when sharing on return. Now we usually use the free parking.

• Like 1