Paid Full Balance Instead of Deposit by Mistake for 2022 Summit Cruise.

phbr

How could I have been so stupid ?

Booked a May 2022 cruise on the Summit on the Celebrity website yesterday evening, and got to the payment page without incident. After detailing the card details, my phone rang and without thinking I hit the 'Full Payment' key instead of "Deposit Only'.

Got an immediate notification from my bank that a large amount had been debited to my card and realising my mistake tried to ring the Celebrity office in the UK... but it was 6.01 pm and the office had just shut.

I know the cruise has to be paid for but after numerous cancelled bookings over the past year, I am in no mood to give Celebrity all the money almost a year in advance.

Will be ringing them first thing Monday, not quite knowing what the reaction will be. Has anyone been in this situation ? Will they refund the difference or will I have to dispute the transaction with my Bank, which can get messy.

Can't believe after 20 odd cruises, I could be so careless.

1 minute ago, phbr said:

How could I have been so stupid ?

Booked a May 2022 cruise on the Summit on the Celebrity website yesterday evening, and got to the payment page without incident. After detailing the card details, my phone rang and without thinking I hit the 'Full Payment' key instead of "Deposit Only'.

Got an immediate notification from my bank that a large amount had been debited to my card and realising my mistake tried to ring the Celebrity office in the UK... but it was 6.01 pm and the office had just shut.

I know the cruise has to be paid for but after numerous cancelled bookings over the past year, I am in no mood to give Celebrity all the money almost a year in advance.

Will be ringing them first thing Monday, not quite knowing what the reaction will be. Has anyone been in this situation ? Will they refund the difference or will I have to dispute the transaction with my Bank, which can get messy.

Can't believe after 20 odd cruises, I could be so careless.

When you got the "large amount" notification, did your bank ask if you approve it?  Mine always with a test, please say "YES" to approve or if not reply "NO".  Most banks have 24 hour customer service, I would def jump on the phone with them ASAP and not wait for the call to Celebrity tomorrow.

I paid for a full cruise last year and called to cancel it to get the money back. The Celebrity cruise planner suggested they instead refund everything except my deposit. I got the refund within two weeks and am still holding the reservation. Hopefully they will do this for you.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, phbr said:

Will they refund the difference or will I have to dispute the transaction with my Bank, which can get messy.

I doubt you will be able to dispute the Transaction as unfortunately it was your fault. The cruise is still valid so they haven't failed to provide the service.

I think your best hope is Celebrity will refund the payment minus your deposit as a goodwill gesture.

6 minutes ago, clarky213 said:

I doubt you will be able to dispute the Transaction as unfortunately it was your fault. The cruise is still valid so they haven't failed to provide the service.

I think your best hope is Celebrity will refund the payment minus your deposit as a goodwill gesture.

Yes, that's what I'm hoping. I talked to the Bank Customer Service last night, but they advised what you said and come back to them if Celebrity dig in. We aren't trying to 'cancel' the cruise so fingers crossed

30 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I paid for a full cruise last year and called to cancel it to get the money back. The Celebrity cruise planner suggested they instead refund everything except my deposit. I got the refund within two weeks and am still holding the reservation. Hopefully they will do this for you.

Fingers crossed !!!

1 hour ago, phbr said:

Fingers crossed !!!

I thought you could reverse any transaction with your bank within 24 hours.  What about a reverse payment?  Maybe our rules are different here in Canada.  I hope you get this solved to your satisfaction.

For us Americans, please remember that banking and credit card laws and policies are very different in the UK as well as deposits and refunds for cruises.

I recommend the poster ask the CSR to help them out with this to the greatest degree possible and go up the food chain at X until all possible persons to assist is exhausted...

I have done similar in a different website and it is a lesson to be learned. I could not get a refund...

bon voyage

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I thought you could reverse any transaction with your bank within 24 hours.  What about a reverse payment?  Maybe our rules are different here in Canada.  I hope you get this solved to your satisfaction.

I also live in Canada and never heard of banks reversing a legitimate charge. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

When you got the "large amount" notification, did your bank ask if you approve it?  Mine always with a test, please say "YES" to approve or if not reply "NO".  Most banks have 24 hour customer service, I would def jump on the phone with them ASAP and not wait for the call to Celebrity tomorrow.

They normally do contact me. Not this this time though.

I rang the Celebrity UK office first thing today and the matter was resolved in about 5 minutes. A net refund minus the deposit amount is being processed to my card. It might take a few days, but I can live with that. Seems its something that has happened quite a few times.

One thing that Celebrity might tighten up on is that , on the UK/Europe site anyway, they do not ask for the 3 digit CVC number on the back of the card. Any other online purchases I have made recently always ask for that, as an extra level of security.

Edited by phbr
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phbr said:

I rang the Celebrity UK office first thing today and the matter was resolved in about 5 minutes. A net refund minus the deposit amount is being processed to my card. It might take a few days, but I can live with that. Seems its something that has happened quite a few times.

One thing that Celebrity might tighten up on is that , on the UK/Europe site anyway, they do not ask for the 3 digit CVC number on the back of the card. Any other online purchases I have made recently always ask for that, as an extra level of security.

So pleased you are all sorted!

We do always find the staff at Celebrity helpful. However, their IT at times has a mind of its own so check in a few days that your booking is fully correct!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I also live in Canada and never heard of banks reversing a legitimate charge. 

I agree. The normal process would be to settle the issue with the other party, as @phbr did, or enter into the formal credit card transaction dispute mechanism. I'm not aware of any Canadian bank that will simply reverse a charge at your request within a 24 hour period.

On the other hand, many jurisdictions do have "cooling-off periods" during which certain types of contracts can be cancelled. In Ontario, for example, any contract signed with a door-to-door salesperson can be cancelled without any reason within a 10-day cooling-off period, beginning the day you receive a written copy of the agreement.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fouremco said:

On the other hand, many jurisdictions do have "cooling-off periods" during which certain types of contracts can be cancelled. In Ontario, for example, any contract signed with a door-to-door salesperson can be cancelled without any reason within a 10-day cooling-off period, beginning the day you receive a written copy of the agreement.

I had one door to door salesman put his foot in my door while trying to sell me a water heater. Now you want in, you text me first. 

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I had one door to door salesman put his foot in my door while trying to sell me a water heater. Now you want in, you text me first. 

He would have had a very sore foot if he tried that here! 😇

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

He would have had a very sore foot if he tried that here! 

Off topic -- but

Reminds me of Real Estate " Professionals " ( as they call themselves ) --LOL

They all promise to " buy your house if they don't sell it " but, don't tell you the conditions of the scam.

Also, another " gimmick " to think about--- How can every house sell over asking price ? Perhaps they were underpriced in the first place ??