MSC...Has to have the worst Customer Service EVER!

NextStopNRT

We recently booked a 10-day cruise on the MSC Grandiosa for next April 2022 in the Yacht Club as we had had a fantastic experience in the YC on a different ship back in 2019. When we booked there were only a choice of 3 cabins available, but if we had chosen to disembark one day earlier, making it a 9-day cruise, there were tons of desirable cabins to choose from. I obviously thought well the cabin I wanted must be booked on the next voyage out of the port so it wouldn't show up inventory. But with investigation I found that the same cabin I desired was available for the next 10-days regardless of the different cruises offered on this ship. I emailed their customer service department and called 5X with no satisfaction. The telephone reps were all very nice but couldn't explain or even figure out for themselves why I couldn't have the cabin I wanted on the full 10-day journey. I was promised an email reply within 48 hrs of receipt of my email to them. 96 hrs later I still hadn't heard back from anyone and I sent a short sort-of scathing email hoping to get at least get a small reaction, but no......crickets! I actually loved the MSC Yacht Club Cruise experience and was anxious to sail with them again. But having to deal with their customer service team, we've decided to take our business elsewhere.

You cannot book a cruise.  A travel agent or an MSC CSR books the cruise for you.  You didn't say which one booked the cruise for you.

Why email customer service?  To a specific person or the general email address?  Did you have a travel agent or a MSC CSR?  Did you email the MSC CSR directly to a real person?

If you are talking about booking a cruise, not originating from the USA, like a cruise from Italy, then did you email the MSC CSR in Italian?  Or did you mistakingly email an Italian cruise line, originating from a non-English speaking country,  in English?

MSC USA is very different than MSC in Europe.

A smart traveler uses a Travel Agent, don't blame the cruiseline, smh.

Edited by Geobugs

14 hours ago, Geobugs said:

You cannot book a cruise.  A travel agent or an MSC CSR books the cruise for you.  You didn't say which one booked the cruise for you.

Why email customer service?  To a specific person or the general email address?  Did you have a travel agent or a MSC CSR?  Did you email the MSC CSR directly to a real person?

If you are talking about booking a cruise, not originating from the USA, like a cruise from Italy, then did you email the MSC CSR in Italian?  Or did you mistakingly email an Italian cruise line, originating from a non-English speaking country,  in English?

MSC USA is very different than MSC in Europe.

A smart traveler uses a Travel Agent, don't blame the cruiseline, smh.

Geobugs thank you for your imput but you are mistaken.

I have booked dozens of cruises and only once used a travel agent.  The total lack of control over my own booking and my own money made that a one off.   I also save on commission and use loyalty discounts, therefore I consider myself "a smart traveller"

I have booked online with several cruise lines, including MSC (3 bookings with MSC this month).  In the past I did have a dispute with an MSC sailing embarking in Venice so I contacted the MSC office in Italy in English.  They not only replied in English but sent me a OBC voucher before referring me to MSC U.K. who were also  great at resolving the issue.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NextStopNRT said:

We recently booked a 10-day cruise on the MSC Grandiosa for next April 2022 in the Yacht Club as we had had a fantastic experience in the YC on a different ship back in 2019. When we booked there were only a choice of 3 cabins available, but if we had chosen to disembark one day earlier, making it a 9-day cruise, there were tons of desirable cabins to choose from. I obviously thought well the cabin I wanted must be booked on the next voyage out of the port so it wouldn't show up inventory. But with investigation I found that the same cabin I desired was available for the next 10-days regardless of the different cruises offered on this ship.

There are two scenarios which you may be dealing with:

1. MSC allots cabins based upon the various  markets (North America, Asia, Europe, etc) that they expect to have passengers from on each cruise.  They, therefore, will only release a number of designated cabins in various categories to ensure that all passengers from all the markets have the option of booking the category cabin that they want. For example,  someone booking from North America will be told a category of cabin is sold out when there are available cabins in that category reserved for sale to other world markets.

2. For a cruise that has various length itineraries and embarcation ports on the ship at the same time, cabins are designated for availability  for each port or length of cruise. That is why there may be a number of cabins available for X number of days from Port A and only available for X number of days from Port B.

To try and extend the cabin for extra days from Port A will impact the availability of the cabin for other departure dates in the future.

• Like 1

Similar situation happened to me. I wanted to do a 10 day cruise in the Yacht Club, only two cabins available. If I booked the 3 night and the 7 night separately there were tons of cabins available. Made absolutely no sense to me as it was the same ten day period. Went around and around with MSC and no one could change it and I didn’t want to have to deposit two separate cruises when I could just deposit the one ten day sailing. I eventually just gave up and booked a cruise on another cruise line. 

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

There are two scenarios which you may be dealing with:

1. MSC allots cabins based upon the various  markets (North America, Asia, Europe, etc) that they expect to have passengers from on each cruise.  They, therefore, will only release a number of designated cabins in various categories to ensure that all passengers from all the markets have the option of booking the category cabin that they want. For example,  someone booking from North America will be told a category of cabin is sold out when there are available cabins in that category reserved for sale to other world markets.

2. For a cruise that has various length itineraries and embarcation ports on the ship at the same time, cabins are designated for availability  for each port or length of cruise. That is why there may be a number of cabins available for X number of days from Port A and only available for X number of days from Port B.

To try and extend the cabin for extra days from Port A will impact the availability of the cabin for other departure dates in the future.

This is exactly right, and to further complicate things, MSC frequently allows people to embark at each port. So the "same" cruise could have you embarking in Spain, France, or Italy. Same itinerary, but your embarkation and disembarkation ports could be in different countries. This was the case for us. Also, a certain number of cabins are reserved/booked even though the passengers might choose to cancel at the last minute. I imagine that's even more true than ever with so many cancelled cruises. I highly recommend using a travel agent, as we do. Ours is able to score us cabins when MSC's own website claims none are available. 

Yea, my 14 day for the Seashore for August 2022 has two inside cabins left for the full 14 day. If you booked both of the seven day legs separately there are tons of inside cabins that are a available and some with specific cabins open for both weeks. I called and tried to get one of them .... Nope . Totally stupid .... They say when you book Fantastica experience you get choice of the best cabins in the category. Wow! I could choose one of three available but can’t choose any of the ones that are open on the seven day legs. Dumb .... such great options . 

I've been able to book the same cabin on an MSC B2B, but had to do so far in advance. I just wish they'd give a sensible response as to why you can't book some cabins that are clearly unsold. They should just tell us that some cabins are held back for various reasons. Instead, they claim that all the cabins must have been sold. 

22 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I've been able to book the same cabin on an MSC B2B, but had to do so far in advance. I just wish they'd give a sensible response as to why you can't book some cabins that are clearly unsold. They should just tell us that some cabins are held back for various reasons. Instead, they claim that all the cabins must have been sold. 

I agree .... Don’t try and sell me the the Fantastica experience where you state that this group gets “best choice of cabins and locations” over Bella experience and then only let me pick from one of three total inside cabins while holding back tons of others that I would like to choose from. What a scam ..... . 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I agree .... Don’t try and sell me the the Fantastica experience where you state that this group gets “best choice of cabins and locations” over Bella experience and then only let me pick from one of three total inside cabins while holding back tons of others that I would like to choose from. What a scam ..... . 

Welcome to dealing with MSC. Scam is a good description

As I've said before, MSC covets thy cabins.  Example are the square YC cabins on Divinia.  The YC cabins for five, cant book for four in most cases then they release for two people.  Don't go figure.

Just Booked a cruise with MSC for Sept 2021. They double charged my deposit. TA called MSC and requested a reversal/credit for the duplicate charge. MSC said they cannot do it. Have client call Credit Card Co. to dispute the charge. WBS! 

So, I did Dispute the duplicate charge. It will be taken off. 

Personally, this is not good MSC PR.

Stay Safe!

14 hours ago, asctony said:

Just Booked a cruise with MSC for Sept 2021. They double charged my deposit. TA called MSC and requested a reversal/credit for the duplicate charge. MSC said they cannot do it. Have client call Credit Card Co. to dispute the charge. WBS! 

So, I did Dispute the duplicate charge. It will be taken off. 

Personally, this is not good MSC PR.

Stay Safe!

This is standard procedure for MSC.  

• Like 1