UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

4 minutes ago, tring said:

I do not understand the "Garry" reference, although obviously become a standing joke - does it refer to Gary Barlow?

Gary Barlow was ( maybe still will be ) the musical face of Iona. Let's all hope he will be on Iona soon.

Desperate of Woking😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

BBC news is reporting that as they are "cruises to nowhere" that the captain will look at the weather forecast and aim to sail where it's warm and sunny. Plus if anyone tested positive while on board they will be isolated and quarantined.

Apologies if this comes up twice, I tried to post it before but it disappeared.

Interesting what a difference a day makes!!!!

I rang P&O yesterday and while on the phone asked when the release dates for the winter would be and was told that they didn't know and they also mentioned that they didn't know when the staycation cruises were going to be released either. Possibly in a few weeks!

I guess my main thoughts on this are around the price. The prices being trailed are not particularly excessive for a cruise in high season - under normal circumstances. The problem here is that it's not normal circumstances. We still don't know exactly what the 'on-board' experience will be like. The fine print dated today still says that booking may be necessary for dining and entertainment venues, that social distancing may be required and that some facilities may not be available depending on Government guidance at the time.

Add to this the vagaries of the British weather, which means that it may or may not be possible to relax out on deck, especially with the ship sailing out at sea most of the time. I've not been on her but am mindful this might be particularly relevant on Britannia where there is no promenade deck and all the open decks are high up. Of course, I appreciate there will, effectively, be more space inside as they are only selling balcony cabins.

Consequently, pax will not know, at this stage, what they are going to experience on the ships for these cruises. As such, it strikes me that they are charging premium prices for a possible sub-optimal experience.

Sad to say that that communication over these cruises from P&O has yet again been poor, particularly over the issue of children. I didn't see the piece on tv this morning but read the faq's on the P&O website and immediately thought they were deliberately written to be vague, especially the "Can I bring my children" which is answered 'yes but passengers of all ages must be vaccinated'. They never seem to learn..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

“You’ll wake each morning with a new view beyond your balcony.”

Ha!  😆

You'll wake each morning with a new view beyond your balcony of a different bit of (likely very grey) sea and a distant coastline that you can spend hours debating over what bit of land you are seeing...😄

• Like 3

website helps you beat the

We’re staying at home, so you don’t have to...

New UK getaways on board Britannia and Iona 
on sale Monday 22 March at 8.30am

This year, P&O Cruises is staying local so that we can whisk you away on the ultimate UK getaway. After months of lockdown life, you’ve earned a trip to a luxury hotel, a soothing spa break, dinner and a show… Luckily with us, you don’t have to choose just one. Everything you’ve missed and more is waiting on board.

These new coastal cruises will depart from Southampton between June and September, sailing around the UK coast, “where the sun shines brightest.” They will include:

Three nights on Britannia from £449pp

Based on B119P Balcony

Seven nights on
Iona from £779pp

Based on G129N Balcony

Iona maiden cruise
from £1,199pp

Based on G126N Balcony

Setting sail from Southampton, you’ll get the chance to enjoy a British break with a serious upgrade. Gourmet dining and poolside pizza, cocktail bars and coffee spots, boutique shops and cinemas, whirlpool spas and hi-tech gyms, live music and theatre shows – your ship offers it all. Plus that much-needed holiday feeling… You’ll wake each morning with a new view beyond your balcony. You’ll drink in shimmering sea views. You’ll sunbathe (here’s hoping) by the pool. And best of all, you can do all of this with confidence with P&O Cruises free flexible transfers^, enhanced health and well-being protocols and our COVID-19 vaccine policy*.

FIND OUT MORE »

Don't forget, these new coastal cruises go on sale Monday 22 March at 8.30am. 
We anticipate high demand, therefore you may find booking via our P&O Cruises

queue.

Edited by emam

Book and sail with confidence

Free flexible transfers

With P&O Cruises free flexible transfers^, you’ve the option of changing your booking as many times as you like, free of charge up to 30 days before your holiday departs. And we guarantee you a 125% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) in the unlikely event we need to cancel your cruise.

Vaccination policy

As we look forward to sailing again, rest assured the well-being of our guests and crew couldn’t be more important to us. Given the advanced progress of the UK vaccination programme, and strong expressed preference on the part of our guests for this limited series of UK coastal cruises, these sailings on Britannia and Iona will be for UK resident COVID-19 vaccinated guests only*.

Peace of mind

And on board, our enhanced health and well-being measures will ensure you can enjoy yourself to the max with peace of mind. In the unlikely event you (or any of your party) should test positive before boarding your ship, we’ll give you a 100% FCC and a full refund on any on-board purchases made in advance of your holiday so that you can enjoy your break when the time is right.

Click 
here for full details on our health protocols.

* For these cruises the definition of “vaccinated” is a minimum of seven days following the second dose of the currently approved COVID-19 vaccines being administered. Proof of vaccination and the dates given will be required (approved forms of evidence will be confirmed closer to time of departure) and this will be required to be shown at the terminal prior to boarding. Failure to provide this evidence will result in denial of boarding. There is no age restriction on this series of UK coastal cruises but all guests of all ages must meet the requirements of the COVID-19 vaccination policy.

All other P&O Cruises holidays currently on sale do not require guests to be vaccinated.

I might try an Iona 7 nighter as I have been no further than a few miles from home for over a year already and don't drive which is also restrictive. At this time of life the opportunity to cruise is dwindling and need two more cruises to reach my bucket list total of 50. Life on board? stare at the sea and scenery if any plus bird and marine life. I will take my binoculars and field scope. Also eat far too much and drink lots of gin.

The price for a solo occupancy balcony cabin may be eyewatering, if I can book one, but what else is there to spend the money on. Also which side of the ship for maximum views of the shore could be a problem

• Like 5

If you click on "Find out more" it tells you that Britannia is doing South Cornwall coast cruises from 27th June to 19th September, alternating between 4 nights then 3 nights and so on. The 19th one is for 6 nights.

Iona is from 7th August, 7 nights. Scottish Isles coastal then Channel Island Coastal - French Coast Cruising. Again alternating with the last one on the 18th September.

• Like 1

So we wait over a year for cruising to resume properly and when announcements are made the vast majority just seem to want to moan! We should all consider ourselves lucky that we've come out the other side of this and are at least in a position to consider these cruises no matter the cost. Many families will have lost loved ones and won't be so lucky. No one is forcing anyone to travel. The rules are what they are. Personally I think there will be huge uptake and I can't wait!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, emam said:

...Iona is from 7th August, 7 nights. Scottish Isles coastal then Channel Island Coastal - French Coast Cruising. Again alternating with the last one on the 18th September.

Just to clarify, Iona is only doing two trips up to Scottish waters, 7th & 21st August. All the others are Channel Island/French Coast.

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Just to clarify, Iona is only doing two trips up to Scottish waters, 7th & 21st August. All the others are Channel Island/French Coast.

Whoops, sorry missed that. I looked at the first three and assumed the same as Britannia.

• Thanks 1

I know this will sound selfish but I hope these cruises go ahead successfully and everyone has a good and healthy experience  If they do there is more chance of our September cruise going ahead. Having three cruises cancelled is enough. We would have liked to try one of the cruises but the 7 day ones are too near our 9th September one and travelling there and back for a 3 day Bolton would have been a pain.

• Like 4

Just by way of interest and comparison, Fred Olsen has today launched a number of cruises aboard their two 'new' 1400 passenger ships. They start with some scenic cruises but then seem to suggest that by August there will be port calls in Belfast and Falmouth. Three nights from £399, five from £799 and seven from £1099 but that is based on an inside cabin. All cruises include £50 obc. Sailing from Dover, Liverpool and Rosyth (subject to Scottish Parliament approval). Being smaller (<63000 tons) they will be able to closer to the coasts and Islands.

I can't actually see any mention of a vaccination policy so far.

57 minutes ago, philsuarez said:

So we wait over a year for cruising to resume properly and when announcements are made the vast majority just seem to want to moan! We should all consider ourselves lucky that we've come out the other side of this and are at least in a position to consider these cruises no matter the cost. Many families will have lost loved ones and won't be so lucky. No one is forcing anyone to travel. The rules are what they are. Personally I think there will be huge uptake and I can't wait!

The point is us younger folk can’t cruise on these new sailings now! 

Theres always someone with a bigger problem but that doesn’t mean people aren’t entitled to have a moan when they’re disappointed!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Thanks, this bit is interesting "Crew ‘will also undergo a strict testing and quarantine regime as well as regular testing during their time on board’. They will also wear masks."

Let's be positive and assume the passengers' Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine is 100% effective. We know that the (largely Philippine) crew will be unvaccinated. Ok they're wearing face masks but no-one expects 24/7 usage. Question is : will the medical facilities be overwhelmed if there's a crew breakout of Covid?

I'm not sure I can think of anything more boring that being cooped up on the ship for 7 days in British summer weather with grey skies and rain.  OK, sometimes we get some great weather, but more often than not, we don't.  There would be nothing to do but lectures, soppy games inside.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Thanks, this bit is interesting "Crew ‘will also undergo a strict testing and quarantine regime as well as regular testing during their time on board’. They will also wear masks."

Let's be positive and assume the passengers' Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine is 100% effective. We know that the (largely Philippine) crew will be unvaccinated. Ok they're wearing face masks but no-one expects 24/7 usage. Question is : will the medical facilities be overwhelmed if there's a crew breakout of Covid?

We seam to have a different idea of positive, looking at it logically the crew will be tested and they will be isolated if one as actually caught COVID but you could be right