Vaccine Passports

jetsfan58

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

I am amazed that everyone is not freaked out by the idea of a Vaccine passport to conduct business or travel.

Vaccine booklets used to be common.  They were eliminated for most international travel over time because the diseases went away.

The rise of a new disease triggering the return to a proven method of controlling the spread of diseases should not freak out anyone.

And it may be a requirement of the country you are visiting, not your home country.  So don't conflate your US Constitutional / amendment rights with the privilege of international travel and the duties to conform to the rules and laws of where you are visiting.  If I am the king of ProgRockistan and I require all visitors to wear a pink bow in their hair, or if lacking hair, glued to top of their bald head, then that is the way it will be.  The UN might protest, but maybe I'm not a member.  If I am not oppressing my own peoples or threatening nuclear war, there is no international action that can legally be taken. If that means my little kingdom gets no visitors, that is the price I pay.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

I've already read stories about public schools not allowing students that haven't been vaxed.

Vaccinations required to attend public schools has been around for decades.  Perhaps your parents even gave your immunization records for your entry to school.  Also, there have been certain vaccines required for some international travel as well.  Our military has to be vaccinated against many things.  I just don't understand how this is suddenly a loss of freedoms. 

edit:  The sort of comments I'm reading in this thread just make me not want to cruise without a vaccine requirement.  The absolute entitlement of people thinking they deserve a vacation, know more than the scientists, and flat out refuse to acknowledge fact and reason is why cruise ships will be floating petri dishes without strict protocol.  Some ideas presented here as fact are just asinine.

Edited by Jelly_Toast
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jelly_Toast said:

Vaccinations required to attend public schools has been around for decades.  Perhaps your parents even gave your immunization records for your entry to school.  Also, there have been certain vaccines required for some international travel as well.  Our military has to be vaccinated against many things.  I just don't understand how this is suddenly a loss of freedoms. 

Well I do remember having to take the Polio vax when I was a kid, but I was a kid back then, and didn't know what was behind it, or if it was a requirement to attend school. hi hi.

The biggest problem I have with this, is the law of the slippery slope. 

Back in the 50's, the slippery slope law existed, but not at the same degree it does today. There is already talk about the vax passport for conditions to work in some work places. etc. etc. etc. 

Each one builds upon the previous. International travel, schools, work, shopping, voting, blah blah blah. 

If we could trust that the passports or documents, whatever, would be used ONLY for international travel, it would be more acceptable to at least me. 

3 hours ago, dbrucern said:

As soon as our vaccinations were completed, my husband laminated our cards and I put them in our passport holder so we would have proof for travel. 

By the time cruises are able to leave from U.S. ports again (if the CDC keeps its order in place until November) your vaccine may no longer be effective. So what good will the laminated card do then? This is the problem with requiring vaccine passports for a vaccine that may only be effective for a few months. Drivers licenses past years. Passports last years. Polio, measles, and mumps vaccines last years. 

Require them or don't, I've already been vaccinated either way. But how would it be any different to be on a cruise with people whose vaccines have lost their effectiveness than people who were never vaccinated? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mariketa said:

Name another time when people were being bullied into taking an experimental drug across the US, I’ll wait right here.

Any drug from aspirin to alcohol is an experiment every time you take it..

11 minutes ago, Moviela said:

So true. I've been working on my beer experiment for too many years now! 😀

Edited by d12j28
  • Like 1

There is no way you won’t have to have a vaccine to cruise. Can you imagine if they had another cruise with a major outbreak?! The last cruise documentary is coming on HBO. All

the ports will require it as well. 

57 minutes ago, Mariketa said:

Name another time when people were being bullied into taking an experimental drug across the US, I’ll wait right here.

Who is being bullied?  If you refuse to get the shot, it's your choice.  They may be some limitations to do certain things in the future which is still undecided, but at this point there is nothing concrete.

49 minutes ago, Moviela said:

And am I forced to take beer and aspirin to function in society? Do I have to show my beer and aspirin papers? Silly.

• Like 1

By the time the Federal bureaucrats get around to making this barely workable (2025-ish), it will be illegal to enforce this VaxPass nonsense in Florida and other States.

In the meantime, I await the first lawsuit over Influenza complications due to cruising, or even HEP A/B.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

Yes, but I don't think that I have that info included in my passport? right? When I cruise, I don't have to prove that I've been vaxed for malaria, polio, TB, and all the others. But now, this?

Great points. My only caveat is that those diseases have not recently contributed to over 500K US Citizens Deaths. We have to focus on the present/what is and not what was!     

20 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Years ago travelers had yellow vaccination booklets in addition to passports. They still exist, afaik.

017-001-00566-5_1.jpg?itok=0Z1Qki-U

I still have one of these in the back of my passport.  I fly in and out of several African countries a year.  Can't get in to some of them without it because of Yellow Fever.  Mine is 14 years old. I almost took it with me when I got my Covid shot so they'd write it in there instead of the new Covid vaccine card.

Again great conversations and I applaud you all for your continued valuable input. There are always going to be "Concrete" exceptions that could be initiated with every critical circumstance. However and again I don't know if beer, aspirins and/or the flu have caused 500K recent and untimely deaths here in the USA. This is going to be another real tough subject that the Cruise Lines are going to have to manage and be "Un Politically" correct in their decisions. This type of maneuver will require solid and analytical thinking with all "Parameters" included (i.e., Cruisers as young as two years to our Century Old Cruise Nuts, the port workers, the crew, pre cruise hotel workers, airline workers, cruise terminal personnel, etc.). 

This one is going to require a full fledged effort from all involved; including us Cruise Nuts.      

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_aces said:

I still have one of these in the back of my passport.  I fly in and out of several African countries a year.  Can't get in to some of them without it because of Yellow Fever.  Mine is 14 years old. I almost took it with me when I got my Covid shot so they'd write it in there instead of the new Covid vaccine card.

Perfect example of how History repeats itself. This is nothing new; to some of us. I am whole heartily convinced that we too will survive and Cruise again.

The new Happy Hour Slogan "Vaccines for Everyone" on the house.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jetsfan58 said:

Perfect example of how History repeats itself. This is nothing new; to some of us. I am whole heartily convinced that we too will survive and Cruise again.

The new Happy Hour Slogan "Vaccines for Everyone" on the house.

Well, remember the examples of the past were with regard to international travel to particular countries of interest. 

When they start demanding vax passports for local activities, then that's another matter. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

I've never had to show any proof of vaxes to go on a cruise, for over 30 cruises. Have you?

No but I've never traveled to any countries that require proof of vaccination. That is more for airline International travels.

8 hours ago, asalligo said:

I am amazed that everyone is not freaked out by the idea of a Vaccine passport to conduct business or travel. We used to make fun of the USSR for requiring papers to cross their provinces and now just 30 years later here we are and you are cheering on the endeavor. If you let this happen, this will be abused! 

I don't understand why anyone would be "freaked out" by the idea of having proof of vaccination. I'm proud to be vaccinated and I will show my proof to anyone who needs to see it for me to live my life without restrictions. What is the big deal about proving vaccination? Seriously.....where is the problem?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Vaccine booklets used to be common.  They were eliminated for most international travel over time because the diseases went away.

The rise of a new disease triggering the return to a proven method of controlling the spread of diseases should not freak out anyone.

And it may be a requirement of the country you are visiting, not your home country.  So don't conflate your US Constitutional / amendment rights with the privilege of international travel and the duties to conform to the rules and laws of where you are visiting.  If I am the king of ProgRockistan and I require all visitors to wear a pink bow in their hair, or if lacking hair, glued to top of their bald head, then that is the way it will be.  The UN might protest, but maybe I'm not a member.  If I am not oppressing my own peoples or threatening nuclear war, there is no international action that can legally be taken. If that means my little kingdom gets no visitors, that is the price I pay.

You made your point. I get it. Hope others do too.

14 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I don't understand why anyone would be "freaked out" by the idea of having proof of vaccination. I'm proud to be vaccinated and I will show my proof to anyone who needs to see it for me to live my life without restrictions. What is the big deal about proving vaccination? Seriously.....where is the problem?

And if you don't understand why people don't want to get it/prove it after everything that's been said, then I guess it's an impasse and that's that. We'll see what the cruise lines do and we'll all go from there.

Edited by Mariketa