Tuxedo question

Hello! I know some cruise lines have tuxedo rental on board; does Regent? Or would my husband be fine with a formal suit on a Caribbean itinerary? I know the website says a dark suit is fine for men's evening attire but what do men actually wear? His tux is starting to look a little battered. He would wear it anyway but thankfully he has me and I won't let him LOL. Thanks!

No on-board rental but he doesn't need a tux/suit unless he wants to wear one. Pants, collar and long sleeves are the required minimums...no tie, no jacket, no suit and no tux required. 

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

No on-board rental but he doesn't need a tux/suit unless he wants to wear one. Pants, collar and long sleeves are the required minimums...no tie, no jacket, no suit and no tux required. 

There is no requirement for long sleeve shirts. Where are you getting that from?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Unless they've changed the rules recently (since last January) long sleeves aren't required either.

• Like 2

On Regent ships the dress code in the evenings is elegant-casual. 
On sailings of 16 nights or more, formal and semi-formal attire is optional on two of the evenings. (Note the word “optional”)

1 hour ago, Greyhound Crazy said:

would my husband be fine with a formal suit on a Caribbean itinerary?

Many Caribbean cruises are less than 16 nights in which case there are no Formal Optional nights.

Even for longer itineraries there is no necessity for a Tux or a suit, but if your husband wishes to wear one that is his choice. Sorry, I meant your choice 😀

We've been been on quite a few cruises over the past 5 years with most on Regent and Paul Gauguin, as well as HAL, SeaDream and Silvesea. The only time we have seen a Tux onboard was a holiday cruise on HAL, with Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve being formal nights. We got by with a dark blue suit for him, and a cocktail dress for me. We have also been on longer Regent cruises that had "formal optional" nights. We didn't see a tux, but there were women in gowns, and more suits than not.

Short sleeve shirts for men are the norm at dinner when you're eating outside on SeaDream or PG, and it's probably the same on other ships where you're dining in a warm place. For most inside seating at restaurants on cruise ships that we've been on, there were plenty of men with long sleeve shirts.

There are still rules on what you can wear for evening dining on Regent, and other upscale cruise lines, and often they will be enforced (especially the "no shorts or hats" rule).

We aren't people that love to dress up, but when the dress code is elegant casual, we feel more like we fit in if I wear a dress or dressy long pants, and he wears dress pants, and a collared dress shirt (long or short sleeves) in the main restaurant, and always a dress for me, and a sports jacket added for him at a specialty restaurants.

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Eating at the pool offers the opportunity for good food with no dress code whatsoever if that is your thing.

As long as you don't then head to one of the indoor lounges. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

Why would you? 

Some people want to listen to the music or dance.  I have seen more than one kicked out of the lounges after dinner coming from a relaxed dinner on pool deck.

Here's something I have wondered about- on our only Regent cruise (Voyager in the Caribbean), the entertainers always seemed to be dressed very formally, and beautifully. Quite enjoyed seeing them.

I take it they are required as such by Regent. Certainly it sets them apart from the guests, as if their age and stature weren't enough😩😉

I can't imagine that this was just this one cruise as it was in the Caribbean, so generally a more casual type cruise (though guests were always dressed nicely as far as I could see).

Well thank you all very much! Hubby and I are relieved we do not have to buy a new tux - and he's quite happy he doesn't need to bring a suit. He's okay with dress pants, collared shirts and sometimes a sport coat but he makes the most horrid faces at the word "tie". I think we definitely have a suitable wardrobe for elegant casual (what a relief). 🙂

• Like 1

Experience with Radisson/Regent for the past 20+ years (unfortunately none during the most-recent 18 months):  I take my tux on segments of 16 or more days regardless of the itinerary.  While not taking the time to do a head count, estimate about 15-20% of the gents also wear a tux.  I do so, no doubt, falling back on an Army tradition of dressing to the occasion on a formal (optional) night to  honor the Staff which provides 5+ star service.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

We are early diners in the Compass Rose, don't see very many people dressed more than a collared shirt.   but it really depends on what experience you want.  I think this thread has given plenty of info about the dining to decide what you want to bring.