Dress Code Question

OMW

Hello All,

I ask from the get go the following:

1) I am not looking for a lecture. 

2) I am not looking to start an inflamed exchange.

3) All I am asking is a simple question for which I am looking for a simple answer.

We have been on well over 50 cruises ranging mainly Viking, Oceania, Celebrity, Silverseas, and a few Disneys peppered in.  

We are looking at booking our first Regent cruise for next March.  My question is about the after 6:00 PM no jeans policy.  I have been wearing NICE designer jeans (some black and khaki)  and a sport coat to the dining room on all of the recent cruises (pre-COVID of course) and have had zero issues.  In fact you might say it's de rigueur...especially on Oceania and Viking.  Would this really be an issue on Regent?   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

If they are seen as jeans, you will be asked to change.

Only if they notice.  Several times I have seen men in what I call "fancy pants" with a dress shirt and jacket and no-one says a word.  On the final night of the cruise you can wear anything you want.

My husband wears dark designer jeans, long sleeve collared shirt and a sport jacket in all dining venues onboard.

Does not wear these clothes with athletic shoes. He has never been asked to change his clothes!

Ive seen everything worn onboard!

We normally always dress in nice slacks and shirts for dinner aboard any Regent ship. 
When we were on our Norway cruise on the Navigator, my luggage never arrived. Twenty- one nights, I dined in hubby’s shirt, black leggings and black sneakers. 
The crew was aware of our circumstances. Everyone was most kind. 
sheila

I believe Regent’s rules prohibit jeans in indoor public areas after 6:00 PM. The only line I know of that allows jeans in such time and places is Celebrity. But as posted above, dockers and similar are fine on Regent. 

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I believe Regent’s rules prohibit jeans in indoor public areas after 6:00 PM. The only line I know of that allows jeans in such time and places is Celebrity. But as posted above, dockers and similar are fine on Regent. 

I am seeing people wearing face masks in denim look ....wonder if they are allowed 😁

We've seen people wearing dressy type of jeans and no one asked them to leave.  I don't think you'll have a problem.  The rule also states collared shirts at night, we've seen no collared shirts with a nice sport coat many times in the dining room.  And for shoes, yes dark/black tennis shoes have been seen also.

It's ironic that you can wear fairly shabby docker-style pants, but blue denim, however well-fitted, sets of alarms.  If you stick to nice, stylish jeans in other colors but blue, you'll probably be fine--my husband who lives in jeans, has gotten away with black jeans, and tan jeans.

• Like 1

OMW:

Here is my simple answer to your query.   

Dress with respect to mirror the 5+star service you will receive by Staff and the high quality of everything aboard all (with exception of Splendor) Radisson/Regent ships we have sailed on for the past 22+ years.  But for COVID, we would have boarded Splendor at San Diego--March 14th last.  At least, we made it to the hotel.  

I will not further comment on this particular rabbit hole topic.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Do you understand how this rule works?

Regent Corporate in Miami makes the rule. But on t he ship is is up to the staff to have to enforce it. Usually they  will let most things pass unless someone is wearing  frayed or full of holes Levies. The rest of the time it is another passenger that make the judgment call and complains to the staff.   Then the staff is "put in  the middle" as to enforcement. Often the staff member is some low level bar or restaurant server who is stuck dealing with an unpleasant  (for the) conversation. 

So when you say you have seen this or that worn, understand why  the rule is only sometime enforced.

J

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I though dressy designer jeans were something that Gloria Vanderbilt marketed a long time ago. I remember my dad wearing them. We haven't really seen any jeans other than on our Alaska cruise, where there were quite a few "old guys" who dressed down for dinner (and being in our 60's, they were all older, and their wives were dressed appropriately). Most of them also wore baseball caps, which we did see the staff ask them to remove.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:06 PM, Gcto said:

I am seeing people wearing face masks in denim look ....wonder if they are allowed 😁

If I have to wear a mask I’m not going but as far as wearing pants...  I’m kind of neutral!   😂 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

If only it ended here. 

👍  Jim (and JMariner) - "Hope springs eternal" (sigh).  As has been stated countless times before (on countless similar threads over countless years)... This particular topic is a regularly recurring "bottomless rabbit hole". ((If only the most recent thread on "onboard tipping" could have gone on just a bit longer!))  😜

I think it (evening dress code) pops up every few months when folks are bored, or perhaps enjoy seeing a good online argument develop, or perhaps among newer readers who don't want to/haven't taken the time to do a "search" of this topic and read the previous (1,000) identical threads on the topic, or don't like the answers/opinions that were previously expressed and are looking for a "do-over" with an outcome more to their "liking", or perhaps some think that what is an otherwise very clearly written policy (and is a quite reasonable accommodation to the vast majority of Regent cruisers),  might somehow "change" (be further relaxed) if the topic is resuscitated (i.e., the poor old "dead horse") enough times.

If 10 people drive down a road that has a posted speed limit of 50 MPH...and  6 of those 10 people choose to drive at 70 MPH, and 3 of those 6 "speeders" subsequently get away with it without receiving speeding tickets....that does not suddenly "change" the posted speed limit to 70MPH, simply because 3 drivers didn't receive tickets (or applying this to the "jeans scenario" - 3 jeans-wearers were not sent back to their suite to change their pants).  The written "evening dress code policy" (the posted speed limit) is still the official policy, even if a few diners choose to ignore it (and "get away with it").  Just because one cop on one day gave out 3 speeding tickets and another cop on another day didn't....doesn't mean the posted speed limit for that road somehow "changed" to 70 MPH. 

Regent actually has listened to their customer base (who wanted a more relaxed and casual alternative dinner venue), and accommodated that request by offering evening dining on the pool deck, where jeans and shorts of any style/color/fabric are completely acceptable.  Regent knows that there is no overwhelming groundswell (among their customer base) to adopt "Carnival's dress code".  Regards.

((Okay - I've now got my trusty ladder and I'm slowly climbing back out of the rabbit hole))  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Never say Never; never say ever.  That said--a brief comment just this side of that rabbit (Black)Hole.  

Ping:

As I have done previously in responding to one of your entries--

Here is my Pong on your latest.  

Well played! 

My comment on this Thread mirrored those sentiments expressed a few days' back on the "Tuxedo" Thread.   To put a bit of a light, final touch on this as, really, the "capper":

Isn't just grand to see two gents regaled in baseball caps--bills turned backwards ala Ken Griffey, Jr.--at Sette Mari at La Veranda being seated for dinner.  Perhaps one of the ladies accompanying them after the couples sat down said something.  In less than a minute, the caps were gone.  

Hope springs eternal. 

Take care. 

GOARMY!

Regarding the original question: I can't speak for Viking, but I do not consider Oceania to be a direct comparison to Regent, hence we have taken many Regent cruises, but only 1 Oceania.

While wearing a sport coat may somewhat mitigate not conforming to the no jeans after 6 policy, I don't think it should be difficult for well to do men (Regent customers) to confirm to such a minimal dress code policy. This is especially true when there are alternatives if you must wear jeans and only jeans - the pool deck or room service. The dress code is clearly communicated to all well before embarkation, so those that chose not to pack the required attire do so knowingly and willingly. Think of it as being considerate of others, the same as wearing a mask after being vaccinated.

The following is an excerpt from an email I received in December, 2019 from Jason Montague in response to concerns regarding several CruiseCritic reviews that had complained about dress code issues onboard recent Regent cruises.

"In regards to recent reviews I have also been monitoring and following up with the team and I believe these are isolated incidents and not representative of overall guests experiences.  In regards to your specific question on enforcing the dress code, the Maitre Ds as well as Restaurant Managers enforce the dress code nightly.  We also opened the pool grill at night on the pool deck, weather permitting, for those guests who get back late from excursions or who prefer to dine casual so if any guests come to any of our restaurants not adhered to our dress code and do not want to go back and change they can either go to the pool grill or have room service but the team will enforce the dress code."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hello All,

I want to again thank the folks who answered my question concisely and judgement/lecture free.  I have enough feedback to make an informed decision.  As you can see with my tiny posting history over 16 years, this question was asked legitimately and with no ulterior motives.   I am not bored nor was I looking to create a rabbit hole.  Now that the lecturers and would be judges have hopped in, I am hopping out...no pun indented.  Good luck. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

It is now almost 2 years later, covid restrictions have been relaxed, but this legitimate dress code remains in place, and still people are asking about it! My roll call for the 3/28/23 cruise to the Amazon has this as the primary topic! We are going to the AMAZON! And the dress code is an issue? lol Apparently, If you were on one Regent ship and saw no one wearing even a sport coat, it must apply across all the ships? It is kind of funny!