August cruises

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

maybe Regent is ready to announce their reopening plan.  

.............. and, according to this report, travel to many countries from the U.S. is off the agenda for a while yet:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-put-more-countries-under-covid-do-not-travel-advisory-state-department-2021-04-19/

So I wonder where & when Regent ships will recommence 🤔

54 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

.............. and, according to this report, travel to many countries from the U.S. is off the agenda for a while yet:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-put-more-countries-under-covid-do-not-travel-advisory-state-department-2021-04-19/

So I wonder where & when Regent ships will recommence 🤔

That’s extremely concerning. 80% of countries at Level 4 - Do not travel.

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

All August and September cruises are now waitlisted; maybe Regent is ready to announce their reopening plan.  

I think some news will come out tomorrow from Regent - based on our TAs being told of a meeting as to whether to reset the final payment to 60 days out on some Sep cruises. Payment for the Vancouver to Tokyo trip is due 24 Apr 21 and lots of folks are deciding to cancel rather than risk/tie up their funds on a trip that may not sail.

2 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

That’s extremely concerning. 80% of countries at Level 4 - Do not travel.

I read someplace that the 80% includes countries not reporting their COVID numbers, if this is true the announcement may get countries to report infections.

23 hours ago, mrlevin said:

UK, Canada, and Mexico will be on the Do Not Travel list; they are trying to keep us home; or, they just want us to travel without travel insurance.

When I read the latest US Government advice (updated yesterday) on the risks of travel to the UK, I have to wonder where they are gathering their data 🤔

Fortunately our covid stats are still improving daily and we do not go around in constant fear of terrorist attacks  🙄

Not sure where or when Regent can resume operations with advice like this being published on official websites ............... maybe Korea or Zimbabwe next year? 🤨

• Like 4

23 hours ago, margretha said:

Our TA asked for a phone discussion tonight re: our Explorer September cruise out of Vancouver BC so I hope it is because it is good news. Or any solid informed news at this point.

Sigh.

was there any news ? Did the TA allude to some changes in the final payment date ? Thanks

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

When I read the latest US Government advice (updated yesterday) on the risks of travel to the UK, I have to wonder where they are gathering their data 🤔

Fortunately our covid stats are still improving daily and we do not go around in constant fear of terrorist attacks  🙄

Not sure where or when Regent can resume operations with advice like this being published on official websites ............... maybe Korea or Zimbabwe next year? 🤨

Susan, if you want a real laugh, read the new Travel Advisory for Antarctica at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/antarctica-travel-advisory.html. Has Covid-19 spread to penguins? 😜

Dave

Edited by DaveFr
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gcto,

We pulled the plug this morning on the Explorer trans-Pacific September -October cruise after a lengthy discussion with our TA. She said she'd had a long conversation with "Regent" after some meeting (some internal NCLH or cruise-line not her agency) yesterday and the word she was given was that there will be no final payment delay and no change to penalty sequence. Given that we opted to transfer over to a 2022 transatlantic while the cabin selection and other offerings are still open. We are losing $550 (the $100 each plus $350 deviation change cost for a direct flight home but at least we doing something proactive for us instead of waiting around for Regent to decide to tell us it is cancelled. Between Japan's pending Tokyo state of emergency, Canada's port closure and the thumb-twiddling of the CDC decision-makers, we just want to move on. Hated to miss the cruise with all the CC people we've met on the board but don't want to wait until late November to get our $$ back. Had we used one of the FFC we might have hung on but if this past year has taught us anything it is life is short and the world uncertain so better take your life in your own hands and stop waiting for others to decide things for you. That's not an anti-mask or vac or anything related to science whine. It is the larger view of where we are.

Happy sailing - whenever it happens...

margretha

PS: Given the way things work I fully expect that tomorrow morning we will learn they are extending the final payment date, etc.......

• Thanks 1

"Margretha  said :

Between Japan's pending Tokyo state of emergency, Canada's port closure and the thumb-twiddling of the CDC decision-makers"

--Please explain "Tokyo state of emergency,"  comment...what does it entail? We are booked on Explorer out of Tokyo in November 2021

Thanks

55 minutes ago, docmark said:

--Please explain "Tokyo state of emergency,"  comment...what does it entail? We are booked on Explorer out of Tokyo in November 2021

Thanks

The Wall Street Journal reported that the mayors of Tokyo and Osaka have requested that the Japanese government reinstate the Covid emergency order in their cities.

57 minutes ago, docmark said:

"Margretha  said :

Between Japan's pending Tokyo state of emergency, Canada's port closure and the thumb-twiddling of the CDC decision-makers"

Thanks

it looks like Tokyo is having a surge in cases (surge might be relative, but) and are mulling new restrictions. With the Olympics coming (so far they are still planning on having them), restrictions could be imminent and if our government is an indication, Japan is not willing to commit long term.

1 hour ago, docmark said:

Thanks

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Tokyo+state+of+emergency😉

We missed out on the Olympics there last year and a couple of months ago they cancelled spectators for this summer. I guess things are going in the wrong direction. I hope they improve before your cruise. State Department just

put every country on our Oct 31 cruise on the Level 4 - Do Not Travel. 

Edited by Pudgesmom

I heard on the news this morning, from an Orlando TV channel, that the upgrades to Level 4 were not based on current conditions in those countries, but were based on aligning with the CDC's current recommendations.

Since the CDC currently still recommends that we do not travel for leisure even if vaccinated, we obviously can't be told that some countries are safe to travel to. That's following the science?

But it does keep everyone in the US traveling in the US.

We live in Florida, and we travel throughout the state in our RV very often to keep us from going crazy in our condo, and to avoid all of the families living in their snowbird's condos. As full time residents,  we know that we have more visitors than we want.

And they aren't all from the US, so why are they allowed to visit the US, if it's not safe for us to go to their country.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 6:40 PM, SWFLAOK said:

I heard on the news this morning, from an Orlando TV channel, that the upgrades to Level 4 were not based on current conditions in those countries, but were based on aligning with the CDC's current recommendations.

That was their stated intention. I personally have a problem with it. Level 4 State Department warnings have previously been for countries with war, civil unrest, hostage taking, etc.  We often withdraw US and NGO personnel and families from these countries.

I feel like they are watering down the State Department Level 4 warning.  Is a beach vacation in Antigua right now the same risk as a week in Yemen? I think they could have found a different way to express the risk.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Like 5

Here is the Department of State's full explanation of its travel advisory system.  Health, natural disasters, and other factors have long been part of its considerations.  Like the CDC, the ability of health systems in various countries to accommodate events such as the current pandemic factor into their advisories.  I, a U.S. citizen, need to be aware I cannot lay my potential health burden (vaccines are not 100-percent effective) on another country by traveling if it is not essential to do so.

Level 1 - Exercise Normal Precautions: This is the lowest advisory level for safety and security risk. There is some risk in any international travel. Conditions in other countries may differ from those in the United States and may change at any time.       

Level 2 - Exercise Increased Caution: Be aware of heightened risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.  

Level 3 - Reconsider Travel: Avoid travel due to serious risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time. 

Level 4 – Do Not Travel: This is the highest advisory level due to greater likelihood of life-threatening risks. During an emergency, the U.S. government may have very limited ability to provide assistance. The Department of State advises that U.S. citizens not travel to the country or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.   

Varying Levels
We issue an overall Travel Advisory level for a country, but levels of advice may vary for specific locations or areas within a country. For instance, we may advise U.S. citizens to “Exercise increased caution” (Level 2) in a country, but to “Reconsider travel” (Level 3) to a particular area within the country.

Risk Indicators
Travel Advisories at Levels 2-4 contain clear reasons for the level assigned, using established risk indicators and specific advice to U.S. citizens who choose to travel there. These are:

C – Crime: Widespread violent or organized crime is present in areas of the country. Local law enforcement may have limited ability to respond to serious crimes.
T – Terrorism: Terrorist attacks have occurred and/or specific threats against civilians, groups, or other targets may exist.
U – Civil Unrest: Political, economic, religious, and/or ethnic instability exists and may cause violence, major disruptions, and/or safety risks.
H – Health: Health risks, including current disease outbreaks or a crisis that disrupts a country’s medical infrastructure, are present. The issuance of a Centers for Disease Control Travel Notice may also be a factor. 
N - Natural Disaster: A natural disaster, or its aftermath, poses danger.
E - Time-limited Event: Short-term event, such as elections, sporting events, or other incidents that may pose safety risks.
O – Other: There are potential risks not covered by previous risk indicators. Read the country’s Travel Advisory for details.
K – Kidnapping or Hostage Taking: Criminal or terrorist individuals or groups have threatened to and/or have seized or detained and threatened to kill, injure or continue to detain individuals in order to compel a third party (including a governmental organization) to do or abstain from doing something as a condition of release.  

On 4/14/2021 at 8:58 PM, Pcardad said:

There is news coming that should answer a lot of questions.

On 4/20/2021 at 1:40 PM, mrlevin said:

maybe Regent is ready to announce their reopening plan.  

No news and no plan released 😕

It is obviously difficult to forecast how cruising will fare over the coming months but some communication from Regent would be welcome.

Surely there must be a limit as to how long Regent can simply carry on with the monthly cycle of final payment deferral, waitlist, cancellation, refund.