Platinum priority boarding question.

groundloop

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

You have your priority and I have mine.  I earned my platinum status over 10 years ago and the majority of the perks offered are not worth anything to me.  But the top of the list, FOR ME is priority embarkation.  It has nothing to do with entry at the pearly gates. 

You are correct about what has happened over the past year putting things into perspective.  What is important to you may not be important to others, just like what is important to me is not high on your list.

We wouldn't even be in this tiff had you not misquoted me  in your post #17 or made a bad assumption on what I had posted.

I made Platinum over 10 years ago also. I'm also Diamond on RCCL. Guess what? At the end of the day, neither of those mean diddly squat. I'm on the ship before it departs, same as first time cruisers.

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

. I'm on the ship before it departs, same as first time cruisers.

I'm not in a tiff with you at all and I also don't  care about your status on RCI, which is Royal.  RCCL is the parent corporation just like Carnival Corporation consists of 9 companies, including Carnival Cruise Line. 

If you don't care about priority embarkation,  that's fine.   Just don't bust my stones for enjoying the one perk I like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The Platinum benefits over the years have been taken away or reduced and of course some can be purchased with the FTTF program.  Priority embarkation and the roped off line at guest services are the only perks I care about.  Things were different 10 years ago.

I actually like the free laundry perk.  We travel light with carry-on bags and it will be nice to have our casual clothes washed for free during the cruise.  Another perk I like is being able to get off of the ship in an early group.  That will be nice for early flights.  Since we won't reach platinum until our next cruise, we won't miss the reduction in benefits.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I'm not in a tiff with you at all and I also don't  care about your status on RCI, which is Royal.  RCCL is the parent corporation just like Carnival Corporation consists of 9 companies, including Carnival Cruise Line. 

If you don't care about priority embarkation,  that's fine.   Just don't bust my stones for enjoying the one perk I like.

I also love the priority boarding perk on ships as much as I do on planes.

11 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Instead of the non Platinum guest intruding on Platinum guest benefits, why doesn't the Platinum guest just board with the non Platinum guest thru the regular lines?

If it's that important that the guests be together for that short amount of time, then I feel that the Platinum guest should take the benefit hit.

That's what we've done when we sail with friends who have not yet reached Platinum status.

That is exactly how it should be.  I did not take my siblings with me thru the Platinum line since they weren't

• Like 1

I listened to someones blog, ben and David's cruising blog? 8 things you should know. They want people to be prepared when cruising resumes. They believe with fewer pax, there will be fewer crew with more duties and cuts. Perhaps fewer musical entertainers or cuts to food available. Covid tests, daily temperature checks. Higher cruise prices.

They just hope whatever changes people will go with the flow instead of complaining. Be glad cruising resumed. I'm already seeing how if appointments are needed to board people are like I earned that, I demand one of the first appointments.  My suggestion is if it matters that much perhaps wait until well into 2022 to cruise. Let them work things out.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The Platinum benefits over the years have been taken away or reduced and of course some can be purchased with the FTTF program.  Priority embarkation and the roped off line at guest services are the only perks I care about.  Things were different 10 years ago.

And free laundry!

46 minutes ago, pe4all said:

And free laundry!

Was originally 3 times a week, got reduced to twice a week.  And now they also do all of your laundry together in hot water.  Would be better and cheaper if all done in cold to avoid shrinkage. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Was originally 3 times a week, got reduced to twice a week.  And now they also do all of your laundry together in hot water.  Would be better and cheaper if all done in cold to avoid shrinkage. 

With 2-3 Platinums in a cabin 2x a week still works for us.  We only put in stuff we know won't be damaged by their washing.  Still my favorite perk, along with priority boarding.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

It used to be 3 times per week, now down to 2 and they wash all of the clothes together in hot water.

Since my husband and I will both reach platinum at the same time, that's double.  We have them wash only casual clothes, so the hot water is fine.  It's not ideal for some people, but it works for us.  I used to wash the clothes myself mid cruise.  On our last cruise, I did use the $15 special and it was fine.  Free is better.

Edited by TNcruising02

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I listened to someones blog, ben and David's cruising blog? 8 things you should know. They want people to be prepared when cruising resumes. They believe with fewer pax, there will be fewer crew with more duties and cuts. Perhaps fewer musical entertainers or cuts to food available. Covid tests, daily temperature checks. Higher cruise prices.

They just hope whatever changes people will go with the flow instead of complaining. Be glad cruising resumed. I'm already seeing how if appointments are needed to board people are like I earned that, I demand one of the first appointments.  My suggestion is if it matters that much perhaps wait until well into 2022 to cruise. Let them work things out.

Yes, be prepared. This has to be the case post cruise and I felt like Arrison was warning us of this in his last video. That when cruising returns they must maximize onboard profit. This has to mean cuts to non revenue earning activities. 

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

This was also a topic on here 10+ years ago - they washed everything in hot water back then too.

38 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Yes, be prepared. This has to be the case post cruise and I felt like Arrison was warning us of this in his last video. That when cruising returns they must maximize onboard profit. This has to mean cuts to non revenue earning activities. 

I just hate to see folks argue and get mad if a cookies gift isnt delivered like on rcl. The worst was pinnacles over their wine. 10 pages in hours raging so much rcl took it down. It's better to know ahead of time. People need to go with a flow a bit. Let cruises find their new groove. 

I agree there will probably have to be some cut backs, or higher prices. Or both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

Given that - it might be beneficial for people to book things now while prices are lower to get it locked in before prices go up. I'm thinking of paying for Cheers and my wi-fi package now vs. waiting until closer to sailing in case the prices go up once sailing resumes. There are also some good spa deals out there right now (I just got a 20% promo) so that's something else I may book. 

This also holds true for places in each port. Before our cruise last October cancelled, we had been looking at booking Nachi Cocum for our day in Cozumel. At that time, it was $59 per person for the all-inclusive package. If you look at their website now, they are only charging $39 per person. I'm sure that will go up once cruise ships start calling at these ports again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Cold water wash won't pass health code.  You don't want someone's skid marks on your skivvies.  

59 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

Given that - it might be beneficial for people to book things now while prices are lower to get it locked in before prices go up. I'm thinking of paying for Cheers and my wi-fi package now vs. waiting until closer to sailing in case the prices go up once sailing resumes. There are also some good spa deals out there right now (I just got a 20% promo) so that's something else I may book. 

This also holds true for places in each port. Before our cruise last October cancelled, we had been looking at booking Nachi Cocum for our day in Cozumel. At that time, it was $59 per person for the all-inclusive package. If you look at their website now, they are only charging $39 per person. I'm sure that will go up once cruise ships start calling at these ports again. 

I have been thinking about this a lot. I have two longer cruises booked in 2022 and 2023, but I am seeing deals like a four day cruise out of Miami for only $550 for an interior and 850 for a Balcony, add to that the $200 dollar OBC. That is a pretty awesome deal. Two things keep me from just booking it though. 

Will fear of getting on a cruise ship cause prices to drop even farther once cruising restarts. We all know that if Carnival is sailing far below capacity, they throw out some real deals. Now these are last minute deals only. You literally have to be able to decide on Wednesday to cruise on Friday. 

I extended our Disney passes during Covid, but after a few trips to Disney during Covid, we all realized it was just no longer worth the hassle and we wished we had just taken the refund on our passes. I am slightly concerned cruising might be the same for a while. Just too many hoops to jump through to really enjoy. 

Also, until there have been a few cruises without issue, I am not sure I would even consider an interior. 

13 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

It used to be 3 times per week, now down to 2 and they wash all of the clothes together in hot water.

6 hours ago, pe4all said:

And free laundry!

5 hours ago, pe4all said:

With 2-3 Platinums in a cabin 2x a week still works for us.  We only put in stuff we know won't be damaged by their washing.  Still my favorite perk, along with priority boarding.

2 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

This was also a topic on here 10+ years ago - they washed everything in hot water back then too.

Yes always washed in very hot water.  Don't bother sorting dark and white.  Put in a mesh bag and washed on hot together with everything else.

Behind the scenes tour showed how it is done. 

My favourite perk is having cabin ready on boarding. Perhaps that is a Diamond perk but love it.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I just hate to see folks argue and get mad if a cookies gift isnt delivered like on rcl. The worst was pinnacles over their wine. 10 pages in hours raging so much rcl took it down. It's better to know ahead of time. People need to go with a flow a bit. Let cruises find their new groove. 

I agree there will probably have to be some cut backs, or higher prices. Or both.

They will and you know they will. Many of us will be just happy to be back to cruising, but I know a few people who I already know will expect something more for the time they were inconvenienced by cruising being closed. 

You should make me Diamond, because I would have been by now if you had not shut down!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 8:51 AM, Laurab23 said:

I am platinum but take a charted bus to the cruise port. Assigned boarding times would be pretty hard with the bus dropping me off at the port.

Laura

Platinum level can board any time they want.  You don't need an assigned boarding time.

16 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Platinum level can board any time they want.  You don't need an assigned boarding time.

That's how it WAS pre-Covid but I don't think anyone here knows how it will be when cruising first starts back up. I think we can expect some changes, hopefully just temporarily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

You have your priority and I have mine.  I earned my platinum status over 10 years ago and the majority of the perks offered are not worth anything to me.  But the top of the list, FOR ME is priority embarkation.  It has nothing to do with entry at the pearly gates. 

You are correct about what has happened over the past year putting things into perspective.  What is important to you may not be important to others, just like what is important to me is not high on your list.

I, like SNJCruisers, find few of the perks these days meaningful to me, with the exception of the EARLY BOARDING.

Edited by glrounds

6 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

The devil is in the details. The fine print of the Nachi Cocum offer lists a book by date of 4/30 and travel window up to 6/30/2021. Yes, their search is showing the offer good when I searched my cruise date but, the site does show the offer is temporary.

Also, the FAQ on Carnival Cheers program lists that any prepurchased Cheers can be adjusted, up or down, from any previously advertised prices on the first day of your cruise. I'm not saying they will but, they could possibly charge more if Cheers prices change after guests book a year or two out.

2 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Agree, the only worthwhile perk of platinum is priority boarding.

I like the free beer at the frequent cruiser's party. I also enjoy the priority boarding and the priority debarkation. I drive to New Orleans and Mobile for a lot of cruises. I can get on the road early after the cruise.

• Like 1