Face Burning Lava or Escape on Rescue Cruise Ship - US Embassy Warns

So given the CDC logic about cruise ships which they have labelled "congregate settings" and now that we are nearly in hurricane season, should a storm threaten a coastal state, should the CDC warn against entering an emergency shelter since it represents a congregate setting?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, twangster said:

So given the CDC logic about cruise ships which they have labelled "congregate settings" and now that we are nearly in hurricane season, should a storm threaten a coastal state, should the CDC warn against entering an emergency shelter since it represents a congregate setting?

Obviously not. 🙄  This thread started out as ridiculous and has only continued to descend beyond that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

There certainly aren't 16,000 American tourists on St. Vincent.  Never said there was.  Please stop such imaginative creation.  You're convoluting that with the number of locals that are being evacuated. No I am not, you are.  I never mentioned the word tourists.  I mentioned refugees.  Again, please stop creating false quotes. CDC has nothing to do with locals being evacuated, nor are they governing their transport.  The CDC warning was on the Embassy tweet, signs, etc.  Please stop making stuff up.  But the islands they are going to certainly are.  They are requiring that evacuees be vaccinated. Actually, that is what I specifically quoted.  That's a challenge.  Already well aware of your opinion on the CDC and it matters not to me. I have no idea what you believe, nor care.  Yikes. You implied in your original post that the CDC had commented directly to American tourists (again, please stop making stuff up regarding American tourists; you are the arbiter of what I implied.  Yikes.) that they shouldn't get on the cruise ship and should instead stay and take their chances with the volcano.  Utterly ridiculous to even insinuate that. It's a whimsical thread about the hilarity of the whole thing.  Now, don't go over the edge about the refugees; it was the CDC warning of the danger of Covid on cruise ships while they escape molten lava.

You sure have a chapped lip.  Yikes.

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

Reasonable question.  However, we have a live one that won't let such be discussed.  

Just now, harkinmr said:

Obviously not. 🙄  This thread started out as ridiculous and has only continued to descend beyond that.  

Ridiculous pretty much sums up the CDC sticking it's warning on the Embassy's website about fleeing the volcano.

You seem to be missing that this isn't just the usual CDC guidance that existed before, this guidance from the CDC was placed on the US Embassy's website specific to fleeing the volcano.  Go ahead and flee, but we don't recommend you flee the volcano on a cruise ship. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

2 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Reasonable question.  However, we have a live one that won't let such be discussed.  

Not a reasonable question at all.  It's just as ridiculous as the initial post you made.  If you don't like people challenging you or pointing out ridiculous comparisons and just plain false statements, then you shouldn't be posting.  Apparently you want an echo chamber.  You might be in the wrong place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

Ridiculous pretty much sums up the CDC sticking it's warning on the Embassy's website about fleeing the volcano.

You seem to be missing that this isn't just the usual CDC guidance that existed before, this guidance from the CDC was placed on the US Embassy's website specific to fleeing the volcano.  Go ahead and flee, but we don't recommend you flee the volcano on a cruise ship. 

Completely false.  It was not "placed by the CDC" on the US Embassy's website and notification to Americans.  It was included by the Embassy because it is government guidance on the pandemic.  Again, NO ONE said to stay on the island and not get on a cruise ship to be evacuated.  NO ONE!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

The only thing interesting about the quote and inserted text you posted was it was as colorful as a Christmas tree.  That's about it.  Carry on.

7 hours ago, Keksie said:

I don't see it as unnecessary snark.  I see it as pointing out how completely one-issue the CDC is.  Lockdowns to the point that people lose their businesses - OK with the CDC.  Schools virtual to the point that children are behind in school and may never catch up - OK with the CDC.  The CDC does not even have an idea of the metric required for people to be able to have a normal life again.

It is unecesaary snark. The CDC has not commented on the St Vincent situation. Not  a peep. Likely because it is well out of its jurisdiction.

Suggesting otherwise is misleading. Some might even call it fake news. 

7 hours ago, Beardface said:

Show me where they specify leisure.  Their warning is a blanket statement about travel on cruise ships.

(In case the image doesn't load above)

EzJZjxRUUAAENsP?format=jpg&name=large

Show me where normal cruise ship operations are anything but leisure. Or are you suggesting the CDC must be omnisicient.

Besides, the highlighted parts are advice. Just like the advice on eating raw seafood found on many restaurant menus. People are expected to have the sense to evaluate particular situations and weigh risks.

46 minutes ago, twangster said:

How very, very short some memories are. Cast your mind back to late last summer.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

Completely false.  It was not "placed by the CDC" on the US Embassy's website and notification to Americans.  It was included by the Embassy because it is government guidance on the pandemic.  Again, NO ONE said to stay on the island and not get on a cruise ship to be evacuated.  NO ONE!

The Embassy webpage isn't a generic international travel warning.  It is specific to the St Vincent Volcano.

It is specifically a "Natural Disaster Alert" issued by the Embassy.

The title of the alert specifically names Royal Caribbean.  

REVISED Natural Disaster Alert – Royal Caribbean Cruises Offers Transit Opportunity from St. Vincent – U.S. Embassy Barbados and the Eastern Car

The URL on the Embassy website is specific to a "maritime evacuation".

https://bb.usembassy.gov/natural-disaster-alert-maritime-evacuation-from-st-vincent-u-s-embassy-barbados-and-the-eastern-caribbean/

59692026_EmbassyStVolcano.thumb.jpg.05cb3f812982158a7e749b8259ff3018.jpg

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

The Embassy webpage isn't a generic international travel warning.  It is specific to the St Vincent Volcano.

It is specifically a "Natural Disaster Alert" issued by the Embassy.

The title of the alert specifically names Royal Caribbean.  

REVISED Natural Disaster Alert – Royal Caribbean Cruises Offers Transit Opportunity from St. Vincent – U.S. Embassy Barbados and the Eastern Car

The URL on the Embassy website is specific to a "maritime evacuation".

https://bb.usembassy.gov/natural-disaster-alert-maritime-evacuation-from-st-vincent-u-s-embassy-barbados-and-the-eastern-caribbean/

59692026_EmbassyStVolcano.thumb.jpg.05cb3f812982158a7e749b8259ff3018.jpg

And your point is?  The Embassy notice says get on a damn ship and get out of there.  The notice includes "GUIDANCE" from the CDC regarding cruising in general because the guidance includes other information regarding testing and quarantine following a cruise.  NOT a warning to NOT get on the damn ship and get out of there.  I am out of this ridiculous exchange with you!

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 2

Simply put the CDC thinks it is safer to take your chances with a volcano than it is to board a cruise ship to flee the volcano.

It really is that simple.

CDC (and the US Embassy) is effectively saying: "You might die on the island because of the volcano, but if you listen to our guidance you won't die from COVID-19 on a cruise ship.  Our job is done. "

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Not a reasonable question at all.  It's just as ridiculous as the initial post you made.  If you don't like people challenging you or pointing out ridiculous comparisons and just plain false statements, then you shouldn't be posting.  Apparently you want an echo chamber.  You might be in the wrong place.

It the original post of a link and two quotes, that are fact based, is ridiculous then why bother to get involved?  I love having an exchange with reasonable people and agree that your responses with ridiculous comparisons and just plain false statements shouldn't be posted.  Ear to ear within the echo chamber speaks.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

The only thing interesting about the quote and inserted text you posted was it was as colorful as a Christmas tree.  That's about it.  Carry on.

Sorry, if colors are troubling to you.  As well as every post by almost everyone else.  So, again, why even post in a thread you abhor?  It doesn't make any rational sense.  Oh well.  Cheers.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Simply put the CDC thinks it is safer to take your chances with a volcano than it is to board a cruise ship to flee the volcano.

It really is that simple.

CDC (and the US Embassy) is effectively saying: "You might die on the island because of the volcano, but if you listen to our guidance you won't die from COVID-19 on a cruise ship.  Our job is done. "

Outright falsehood. The CDC has made no comment on the situation in St Vincent. To suggest it has is a lie. To suggest the CDC has any position on the matter of evacuating St Vincent is a lie.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

More recent news: https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-04-16/new-blast-at-st-vincent-volcano-cruise-ship-helps-evacuees

It mentions the conflicting info that the US Embassy. posted. US, UK and Canadians and Trinity College students are being evacuated to St. Martin with <prior> rapid antigen tests.  

Edited by Coralc

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

More recent news: https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-04-16/new-blast-at-st-vincent-volcano-cruise-ship-helps-evacuees

It mentions the conflicting info that the US Embassy. posted. US, UK and Canadians and Trinity College students are being evacuated to St. Martin with <prior> rapid antigen tests.  

Conflicting info?  It looks like a negative antigen test is required to secure a spot on the cruise ship.  That is the cruise line's requirement.  They have applied the testing requirement to the locals who have been evacuated as well.

44 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Conflicting info?  It looks like a negative antigen test is required to secure a spot on the cruise ship.  That is the cruise line's requirement.  They have applied the testing requirement to the locals who have been evacuated as well.

There was nothing in that article to suggest one way or another whether it is the cruise lines or the receiving countries requirement for the antigen test. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There was nothing in that article to suggest one way or another whether it is the cruise lines or the receiving countries requirement for the antigen test. 

I think it's semantics.  The cruise lines are complying with the testing requirement for the neighboring islands.  Not sure it really makes a difference in the end.  Still not sure what the "conflicting information" the poster was referring to is.

https://crew-center.com/cruise-lines-face-scrutiny-after-false-claims-evacuation-ships-only-vaccinated-people-st-vincent

"The official response from Royal Caribbean International is that all people who are to be evacuated on cruise ships will need ONLY a negative Covid test before boarding. They don’t need to be fully vaccinated to bard the ships.

“Royal Caribbean has not made vaccinations a requirement for St Vincent evacuees. Government officials of St. Vincent have offered to do their best to make sure all who board will be tested and vaccinated in order to receive refuge in neighboring countries, but this is at their initiative. We stand ready to provide any additional assistance as the relief efforts continue.” said Royal Caribbean." spokesperson.

On 4/17/2021 at 8:37 AM, harkinmr said:

There have been some metrics given.  I have seen 75-85 % of US adults being fully vaccinated. We’re not there yet. I have seen a barometer of less than 10,000 cases per day for at least 14 days. We’re not there yet either. What no one can account for right now are variants and their impact.  I have seen a number of well-substantiated estimates of full return to normalcy by October.  Will that make people happy? This incessant need that Americans have for immediate satisfaction is a large part of why our country has struggled with this pandemic. 

Immediate my ass. And you can absolutely forget about getting to a level of 75-85% fully vaccinated. That will never happen. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Immediate my ass. And you can absolutely forget about getting to a level of 75-85% fully vaccinated. That will never happen. 

Maybe.  And, if so, that would be thanks to those who are refusing the vaccine.  That will significantly delay achieving herd immunity and a return to normal life that so many of us want.  Ironic, isn't it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

It's truly sad that so many are determined to prolong the pandemic by refusing to get vaccinated.

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

I think it's semantics.  The cruise lines are complying with the testing requirement for the neighboring islands.  Not sure it really makes a difference in the end.

I agree that it doesn't matter in the end however it does put one of those two groups in a bad PR position if they are preventing humanitarian aid based on who has been vaccinated.

• Like 1