Want your Opinion

lv2cruisgrl

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I wouldn't put down a deposit to any country that is currently locked down and low on vaccine administrations, which means that as much as I would love to visit Australia and New Zealand it's beginning to look like I won't live that long...  Norway cruises are terrific, but I'm not sure when they will reopen to non-EU passengers.  So my recommendation at the moment would be Iceland – amazing scenery, perfect for cruising (most sites are near the coast), and – most importantly – already open for US tourists to cruise.

I have that TP booked a year from now...Sydney to Honolulu!  I have hiked in NZ, but want to go back on a cruise ship. So sad for the world that Covid changed so many of our cruising plans.  I just canceled Galapagos on Flora!

While we have found all our cruises interesting and fun, one that sticks out was a B2B that started in Buenos Aires around the Horn, up the west coast of South America, through the canal to FLL.  A group of about 20 banded together for private tours in each port after starting with a two night, three day land trip to Iguazu Falls.  It was a fun group of people to hang with both on and off the ship.  An added benefit was we picked up a rental car in FLL for our drive home.  Nice not to worry about the airline weight limits.  The cab driver to the airport wasn't too happy about lifting the suitcases out of the very deep Crown Vic trunk.  Also liked the Singapore to HKG trip with a two day stop in Bangkok.  

On 4/19/2021 at 2:45 PM, lovrccl said:

Well we have missed out on cruising for 2019 and need to make up for it. What was your favorite cruise? We are trying to decide where to go next. We have done most of the caribbean, Hawaii, Panama canal. Not really interested in Alaska. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

We would do Norway and New Zealand again and again!

My favourite cruises that I’ve taken so far would be our Med cruise from Rome, our Alaska inside passage from Vancouver and our most recent Transpacific from Vancouver - Japan. Loved the Transpacific and can’t wait to go back to Japan. 

You had mentioned you weren’t interested in Alaska, but there are so many activities to do and it’s a different cruising experience as you see land on both sides heading up the passage with seaplanes overhead. I would definitely do this one again. 

• 3 weeks later...

We have enjoyed Australia/NZ, multiple Med cruises, and South America.   In all instances we either wrapped land trips around the cruise or the cruise around a land trip. We have done one TA but the many days at sea are not for us.  

We  have considered some Asian cruises.  We spent five snowbird winters in SE Asia.  Our feeling is that the ports in Thailand, Malaysia,  and Vietnam are much better visited on a land trip than they are on a cruise.  At some point we pay pick up an Asia cruise that does not cover this route.

We will be very interested in the offerings of the start up cruise lines that purchased ships during the covid crisis and have or are in the process of renovating them.   I suspect their offerings may be a nice change from the same old same old of the usual mass market offerings.

We do not expect to be shopping for or even considering a cruise before late 2022 or 2023.  

Edited by iancal

On 4/20/2021 at 2:27 AM, miched said:

Was on the Bob Lo Boat  56 years ago cruising on one of our first dates together with the love of my life.🥰

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Did the same thing in 1974 with my wife to be. We were both in our late teens and were visiting her brother in Windsor. I often think of it, wonder what it is like now? 

Loved all our cruises but my favourite has been around the south Pacific which we've done three times so far, just loved it.  Other trips we've particularly enjoyed were in south Asia and also Australia/New Zealand. 

Our Celebrity Silhouette Spain/Portugal cruise has been our favorite!  Flew into Madrid for a couple of days, took fast train to Barcelona for two more days then embarked for a two week cruise.   Loved it but other than the Baltic cruise to St. Petersburg that couldn’t make it into St. Petersburg we’ve never had a bad cruise.  

On 5/13/2021 at 11:45 AM, GerScot said:

Did the same thing in 1974 with my wife to be. We were both in our late teens and were visiting her brother in Windsor. I often think of it, wonder what it is like now? 

it is now a residential island built up with houses, condos, and etc.  access is by ferry from Amherstburg,  or boat.  

Nothing remains of the amusement park. 

Happy cruising 🤗🚢🇺🇸🌅

4 hours ago, miched said:

it is now a residential island built up with houses, condos, and etc.  access is by ferry from Amherstburg,  or boat.  

Nothing remains of the amusement park. 

Happy cruising 🤗🚢🇺🇸🌅

thanks for that. was quite interested to know

On 5/17/2021 at 6:56 PM, NCHPcruiser said:

Our Celebrity Silhouette Spain/Portugal cruise has been our favorite!  Flew into Madrid for a couple of days, took fast train to Barcelona for two more days then embarked for a two week cruise.   Loved it but other than the Baltic cruise to St. Petersburg that couldn’t make it into St. Petersburg we’ve never had a bad cruise.  

That's good to know as we are booked on similar in October, we were also on the failed St Petersburg cruise!

• Like 1

Since you asked about our favorite cruise, it would have to be Alaska. We avoided Alaska for 20 years but when we finally did cruise Alaska, we kicked ourselves for waiting so long. It was simply stunning. If you're dead-set against Alaska, I would suggest a Transatlantic with a week or two in Europe if you have the time. Enjoy whatever you choose.

A b2b Norway / Iceland cruise from Dublin. Norway's spectacular, rugged landscapes surrounding the quaint, story book towns combine for breathtaking vistas. Quiet passage thru the fjords evokes ethereal wonderment at nature's raw beauty.

Iceland is so varied in it's character that several miles down the road the landscape can become totally different. It's almost as if you've crossed over into another place. Easy to get caught up in it's austere isolation.

Both countries offer that true Nordic feel and give you the opportunity to appreciate the wild yet gentle remoteness of Viking lore. 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

Well we have missed out on cruising for 2019 and need to make up for it. What was your favorite cruise? We are trying to decide where to go next. We have done most of the caribbean, Hawaii, Panama canal. Not really interested in Alaska. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Our last major trip was a cruise of Japan, Korea and ending up in Shanghai, China in October 2019. We absolutely loved our introduction to Asia and especially Japan.  We can't wait to return. We enjoyed Korea (Busan, Jeju Island, and Incheon for Seoul) and Shanghai, but Japan blew us away.   I highly recommend giving Japan a try. 

I would also throw in Iceland.  Been there twice now and would go back in heartbeat if friends suggested a trip there.  So much to see and do.  Beautiful landscapes everywhere and so different from one area to another.