130 ADDITIONAL countries added to State Dept. do-not-travel list

IntrepidFromDC

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Well, if 80% of all countries are on the list, it wouldn't take much of a coincidence for the Caribbean ports to mostly be on the list too.

There are some people out there who think less than 50% is a majority. 

18 hours ago, mredandchis said:

Yes I noticed that about her.   I travelled recently across country  in my POV and felt perfectly safe 100 percent of the time, with the exception of some drivers on the road.  And she thinks us peons shouldn't travel. SMH.    

Overall I think the idea of restricted travel isn't a bad idea. The world has hit a new high "daily new cases" .  This is a global pandemic and it will take a while.  

The Virus is still much alive and well. If we as Americans would just follow the rules we will eventually be somewhat ok. I went to a neighborhood grocery store and couldn't believe that some citizens are still refusing to wear mask. They appeared to be just waiting on a confrontation. Very sad. I just politely left the store. We have to use the common sense that God provided.   

LOL- I got the vaccine so that my life can go back to normal. While I can appreciate the warning that 80 percent of the world is unsafe I think I can use my own discretion in most every case to decide if I want to travel there or not. It's getting a little ridiculous. Did I really get vaccinated so that I can be safer all by myself in my front yard... with my mask still on? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Is there a list of countries that we are not warned about going to?

I can't find a specific list, but you can check each country's covid status here:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/COVID-19-Country-Specific-Information.html

This was current as of 4/7, which means it is not so current, as more countries were just added.

There are no doubt some who don't know or deny that Puerto Ricans are US citizens and that cruising from Puerto Rico won't occur before cruising from the mainland, but not following rules is not only disrespectful, but also often illegal. When cruising from a foreign country, ir is your job to know and follow the rules.

"Some local authorities have been handing out hefty fines to those who refuse to comply in order to clamp down on rule breakers.

This has certainly been the case in Puerto Rico, where police have issued a number of $100 fines to tourists caught in public without a mask or face covering due to tensions between locals and travelers around noncompliance."

I'd be a lot less worried about the Bahama Covid numbers than I would about the Miami Dade County numbers which are 3rd in the Country in metropolitan counties over a million. You've got some objectively successful metropolitan port counties in some Southern states like Texas and particularly California for example-not so much in Miami.

Edited by Stallion
  • Haha 1

The State Dept. map has been updated with many new DO-NOT-TRAVEL countries, including France, Italy and Turks and Caicos - these and many others that were rated '3' a couple days ago are rated '4' now.

https://travelmaps.state.gov/TSGMap/

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

If we as Americans would just follow the rules we will eventually be somewhat ok.

eventually somewhat ok?😳. also it really doesnt matter if everyone follows the rules if the door is always left open for people to come in anytime they want.  No need to shut down the country just close the dam door for a bit so you can get a handle on whats inside.  All the People worried about what cruising may do to add to the numbers that are already being added to by other means are not seriously concerned about the numbers in my opinion.  

21 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

I just politely left the store. We have to use the common sense that God provided.   

So true but most would rather the one unmasked leave.  Someone without a mask doesnt bother me like it does some others.  First I have no idea "why" (could very well be a medical reason) they aren't masked and second I can move away from them as i have feet and common sense enough to stay away from them. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Is there a list of countries that we are not warned about going to?

Even the ones not in the State Department's "Do not travel" category largely fall into the "Reconsider Travel" or the "Exercise Increased Caution" category. If there are any countries that fall in the "Exercise Normal Precautions" category, the aren't obvious looking at the map IntrepidFromDC posted a link to. So technically they are warning us about everywhere to some degree.

But as ProgRockCruiser points out out, the State Department has always been very conservative about such things. I doubt there were many "Exercise Normal Precautions' nations even before Covid.

For what it's worth, these are some of the Caribbean destinations that do not fall into the "Do Not Travel" category which may be of interest to cruisers looking for options:

Much of Mexico, including the Yucatan and Baja

Cayman Islands

Aruba

Bonaire

Trinidad and Tobago

Grenada

Dominica

St. Kitts and Nevis

Montserrat

St. Eustatius

Saba

Sint Maarten (the Dutch part)

Anguilla

British Virgin Islands

I don't know how many of them currently want American or other international tourists though.

On 4/20/2021 at 6:16 AM, pe4all said:

It is almost easier for them to list the countries we can go to - list will be much shorter!  We have a wedding to go to in Sept. in Italy - have to rsvp in June.  So hard to decide whether to gamble airfare, hotel, etc. on it - even with travel insurance, which may or may not cover cancellations for this.  Ugh.

Purchase a rider that lets you cancel for any reason.  Yep, it's more expensive, and it has limits on reimbursement (generally you can only recover 70-80% of your costs), but totally worth it in a situation like that.

The Consular Travel Advisory System

Under new DOS Travel Advisory system every country is assigned a color-coded risk rating from one to four, defined as:

• Level 1 – Exercise Normal Precautions: This is the lowest advisory level for safety and security risk.
  • Level 2 – Exercise Increased Caution: Be aware of heightened risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. 
  • Level 3 – Reconsider Travel: Avoid travel due to serious risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. 
  • Level 4 – Do Not Travel: This is the highest advisory level due to greater likelihood of life-threatening risks. During an emergency, the U.S. government may have very limited ability to provide assistance. The Department of State advises that U.S. citizens not travel to the country or leave as soon as it is safe to do so. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory.   

2 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Does anyone actually pay attention to this ___?  I mean even before Covid they were telling us not to to most of these places.  They are a bureaucracy of government workers.

Lots of people. There's a chance your insurance company does too.