The Daily for Tuesday Apr 20, 2021

richwmn

49 minutes ago, Tbay said:

@lindaler  We are also doing the 2023 SA cruise. HAL. Come and join the roll call.

I thought I had joined yesterday. It is confusing trying to keep them all straight. Talking about different years and different cruises leaving from the same port. The world cruise leaves the same day from the same port. 

• Like 5

Hello everyone,

I thought that I would actually post again yesterday but that never happened.  Then I thought I would be able to post early today.  Well, that didn’t happen either.

Today wasn’t a particularly good day for our household

As soon as I turned on my iPad this morning I learned that we lost a dear friend.  He and his partner were on a river cruise with us a number of years ago.  We became fast friends and have stayed in touch ever since.  They live in London and visited us two years ago and we were planning a visit until the pandemic hit.

I last spoke with him on Good Friday to wish him a Happy Easter and we had hoped to see each other next year when DH and I are planning a trip to Europe.  Needless to say, we started the day on a very sad note.

We then had an appointment at the Dept. of the Motor Vehicles for DH’s license, which expired two days ago.  So we went and after returning home we found out that the address on his license was wrong and so was the address on the his car registration. So off we go to try to straighten this out without an appointment.  They had pity on us and corrected it.

In the meantime I then realized that the sensor on the rear of my car was not working so I had to call the dealer for service.

So that was my day.  Not especially exciting.  Watched the verdict and was pleased with the outcome although sad that it had to come to this.

Sorry to dump on you all.

Have a good day everyone.  Tomorrow will be a better day.

God bless.

Terri

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

We visited Tauranga in January 2013, while on a 35-day cruise, where we visited both NZ Islands, along with a circumnavigation cruise of Australia.

Many of our pictures of the Tauranga are similar to ones already posted, so I'll post a few with some general comments and impressions.

Welcome.jpg.6cbea74ccae0054c8ac778d2e68c6257.jpg

The area has many fine beaches and most were definitely not crowded when we were there.

Beach.jpg.82b788024eccc25bc35b604381f39a3c.jpg

We also visited the kiwi visitor centre, and were impressed with how they grow and harvest the kiwi fruit.

Kiwi1.jpg.15da6b6ad10220fa5644fe6698b2ada1.jpg

Kiwi2.jpg.3804abb7ac0cab70057f113ff7534122.jpg

The longest site visit we had during our day tour was at the Te Puia culture centre. Te Puia is home to the largest active geyser in the Southern Hemisphere (Pohutu Geyser), as well as the New Zealand Maori Arts and Crafts Institute.

Pohutu means "big splash" or "explosion" - it spurts up to twenty times a day and can reach up to 30 metres (100 feet). Unfortunately, when we were there it only managed a small spurt of a few feet.

Geyser.thumb.jpg.5e8f32d12a5fb94d45164cc49ef82ec0.jpg

We also saw their traditional welcoming ceremony outside, along with the songs and dances presented inside.

The Maori Warriors are well known for their aggressive actions and expressions.

Warrior1.thumb.jpg.f81c1d2e8619e1ff69554c046826d412.jpg

Dance4.thumb.jpg.924310dc8984ebbdf894ec4d95deec14.jpg

Some of the song/dance scenes, along with traditional costumes.

Dance1.jpg.a5b316fc567b7b9455bc891cfcbc2bf5.jpg

Dance2.jpg.157e7a34e5b1f4ed6a9ab00c6f85d1b8.jpg

Dance3.thumb.jpg.e53ba6ddf5b53b502d9ae325dea86c27.jpg

The Arts and Crafts Institute features two artforms, carving and weaving.

The predominant artform of the Maori people is "whakairo" carving, and since the Carving school opened in 1967, it has restored and built over 40 whare whakiro around New Zealand.

Carving.jpg.82ced1498bc06633aa16d60922306a1d.jpg

The weaving school named Te Rito was established in 1969. The head of the school at that time was Emily Schuster and is now headed up by her daughter, Edna Pahewa.

Weaving1.jpg.3a60d2bb8c8efb688d76a8f2d1c527e6.jpg

Weaving2.jpg.0b6254dd4edc882fd530acc1834d5766.jpg

Weaving3.thumb.jpg.ac4bfa9e88bbca875499b5ffe3418f05.jpg

Another site we visited was the Museum and Government Gardens in Rotorua.

This site is of legendary and historical importance to the local Māori people, for here many significant battles have taken place. In the late 1800s, the Māori people gifted 50 acres of this land to the crown "for the benefit of the people of the world".

The land is a geothermal area with several therapeutic pools.

Spring1.jpg.fe472e98988bc80f17621326e4225c8d.jpg

Spring2.jpg.54f8333b77e19b42de67ca8761ccf427.jpg

Realizing the opportunity to create a South Pacific spa attraction, in 1908 the New Zealand government opened a large and elaborate bath house, built in the Elizabethan Tutor style of architecture.

Today the building houses a museum and exhibition on the days when people came from all over the world to "take the waters".

Spring3.jpg.ef5aff73c8778f010fcd4c03b127c43b.jpg

These days for people who would like to relax in the heated waters, they can go to the nearby restored Blue Baths, which were constructed in the early 1930s in an architecturally stunning Mediterranean style. These were among the first baths in the world to allow both males and females in the same pool. Rather then medicinal, the purpose of the Blue Baths was fun - a chance to socialize in the style of Hollywood movie stars!

Unfortunately, we did not have time to visit - so no pictures.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello everyone,

I thought that I would actually post again yesterday but that never happened.  Then I thought I would be able to post early today.  Well, that didn’t happen either.

As soon as I turned on my iPad this morning I learned that we lost a dear friend.  He and his partner were on a river cruise with us a number of years ago.  We became fast friends and have stayed in touch ever since.  They live in London and visited us two years ago and we were planning a visit until the pandemic hit.

I last spoke with him on Good Friday to wish him a Happy Easter and we had hoped to see each other next year when DH and I are planning a trip to Europe.  Needless to say, we started the day on a very sad note.

We then had an appointment at the Dept. of the Motor Vehicles for DH’s license, which expired two days ago.  So we went and after returning home we found out that the address on his license was wrong and so was the address on the his car registration. So off we go to try to straighten this out without an appointment.  They had pity on us and corrected it.

In the meantime I then realized that the sensor on the rear of my car was not working so I had to call the dealer for service.

So that was my day.  Not especially exciting.  Watched the verdict and was pleased with the outcome although sad that it had to come to this.

God bless.

Terri

Sorry about the loss of your friend.  Our thoughts are with you and your friend’s family.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello everyone,

God bless.

Terri

So sorry for the loss of your friend, our condolences to you.

Hope tomorrow will be a better day for you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello everyone,

God bless.

Terri

Oh Terri, I am so sorry to hear of your loss 😢 

Our prayers for him, his partner & family and you 🙏🏻 

13 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. Today was not a walk in the park. It took two go around sand my face is all bandaged up till tomorrow. I will have to sleep in my lazy boy chair because my nose is numb and I can’t breathe. I’m not a happy camper because she said it will take 6 weeks to heal. On the other hand, it was just a basal cell and it could have been much worse. So, I’m grateful.

Oh Carol so sorry that you have to suffer.  I hope you heal quickly and are much more comfortable 🤞 

13 hours ago, richwmn said:

The question does get asked, y'all are not the first.

@BobbiSox - Your home town has always been one of my favorite places to visit. Some good friends have a condo on Amelia and a High School Classmate lives there full time

It's a lively little town. I refer to it as 'Mayberry'. 

12 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello everyone,

God bless.

Terri

Terri 
I am so sorry to hear of your friend’s passing. Praying that the wonderful memories will help ease your pain.

• Like 1