Please, just require passengers to be vaccinated so we can get back to sea.

djjoe

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Better work on your backstroke.

LOL - only one woman, Diana Nyad has done it.  I would not want to be in any waters with sharks, jellyfish and other dangers.  She swam without the protection of a shark cage...not for me.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

TVs are cheap these days. Find a phone store with 5G phones. That's what I need. 

I sure wish we could just cruise. Show our vaccination card or not. Whatever it takes. Just get on with it. 

A year ago you could have lifted one at the Verizon store on 34th street between Herald Square and 7th Avenue. The windows and doors were already smashed when I was walking past it 

37 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I hate to burst your bubble but Hawaii is part of the U.S., the 50th state. Guess again

Did you read what I wrote?  I was listing places where cruising could start up again in the US,( with the exception of the private islands), w/o ever having to go to foreign ports and having to deal with their Covid rules and restrictions.  When did I ever suggest that Hawaii isn't in the US?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Believe anything you want. Some people believe chloroquine can cure or prevent covid.

There are some wonderful cruises currently sailing in the US. All without objection from the CDC. No need to change any laws.

You may want to learn more about the law you want changed before suggesting such a fundamental alteration.

It wouldn't have to be a permanent change, but I do believe that a temporary change in the rule could help get cruising started back up and isn't that in everyones best interest?

Edited by mek

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

TVs are cheap these days. Find a phone store with 5G phones. That's what I need. 

I sure wish we could just cruise. Show our vaccination card or not. Whatever it takes. Just get on with it. 

That first adult beverage is going to be fantastic.  Everyone is going to be singing zippiddy do da out of their rear ends - not arguing about face masks, mandates, police officers, etc.  You know, getting back to living life.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mek said:

It wouldn't have to be a permanent change, but I do believe that a temporary change in the rule could help get cruising started back up and isn't that in everyones best interest?

I agree with this and have mentioned it several times -- each time I got flamed for posting it -- seems lately I'm getting flamed for just about everything.  Seems there are some unhappy people on here. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I agree with this and have mentioned it several times -- each time I got flamed for posting it -- seems lately I'm getting flamed for just about everything.  Seems there are some unhappy people on here. 

LOL - I've been around way to long to worry about being flamed - most people are polite, even when they disagree and I don't give two hoots about the ones who aren't.

I especially don't understand why anyone would think it's a bad idea for Alaska.  The state currently has no  travel restrictions for US citizens flying into the state, so why not get cruises back up and running between Seattle and Anchorage?

I still think people and crew should be fully vaccinated before cruising, so that remains an issue, but cruising to Alaska w/o the required stop in Canada would at least eliminate one obstacle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mek said:

LOL - I've been around way to long to worry about being flamed - most people are polite, even when they disagree and I don't give two hoots about the ones who aren't.

I especially don't understand why anyone would think it's a bad idea for Alaska.  The state currently has no  travel restrictions for US citizens flying into the state, so why not get cruises back up and running between Seattle and Anchorage?

I still think people and crew should be fully vaccinated before cruising, so that remains an issue, but cruising to Alaska w/o the required stop in Canada would at least eliminate one obstacle.

Agree and now that Alaska has joined Florida in the CDC lawsuit, maybe things will change for them.  They are hurting financially more so than Florida -- even though the Florida loss is a lot greater dollar wise, there are other industries here that can absorb the hit, whereas Alaska, as a percentage loses more than we do. I don't know why a fully vaccinated ship can not be allowed to sail out of US ports. 

On 4/23/2021 at 7:16 PM, djjoe said:

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but here goes. The Royal Caribbean cruises outside of the USA require the vaccine, why can't we. I'm tired of hearing all the complaints that the CDC is holding up the process. Too many Americans are delaying the process. I'm tired of getting daily e-mails from the cruise line asking us to contact our congressman, CDC, etc. We have cruised over 100 times on Royal, Celebrity and NCL, so I understand that social distancing, better ventilation, masks, etc. aren't really going to work especially on older ships.  I know folks that will never get the vaccine and think the government is taking their rights away. We have been vaccinated, what about our rights and a chance to get back aboard a ship without having to fly to Bermuda, Bahamas, etc. Royal plans to resume in July. Right now most states are offering the vaccine to anyone over 16 that wants it. By summer there's no reason why we can't get back to sea feeling comfortable aboard a ship knowing that all guests are fully vaccinated.

Great post.

We are booked on a UK only staycation and my second Pfizer jab is next week and Paulines Astrazeneca jab is booked for June so we will be good to go.

I had covid19 in November and spent 4 weeks in bed so I agree absolutely with you about being vaccinated.

Good luck for a solution for cruising from the US to all my American friends.

Graham.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Agree and now that Alaska has joined Florida in the CDC lawsuit, maybe things will change for them.  They are hurting financially more so than Florida -- even though the Florida loss is a lot greater dollar wise, there are other industries here that can absorb the hit, whereas Alaska, as a percentage loses more than we do. I don't know why a fully vaccinated ship can not be allowed to sail out of US ports. 

The CRUISE bill died last week and the lawsuit is quite a stretch....

Edited by Jeremiah1212

42 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

That just means you are on fire. 

Oh, oh oh oh oh
She got both feet on the ground
And she's burning it down
Oh oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh
She got her head in the clouds
And she's not backing down
This girl is on fire
This girl is on fire
She's walking on fire
This girl is on fire

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The CRUISE bill died last week and the lawsuit is quite a stretch....

The lawsuit may be a stretch but might serve as a way to negotiate with the CDC.  

"Florida argued the CDC overstepped its authority by implementing the cruise line restrictions without Congressional legislation or a presidential directive to act. The motion noted that the initial order was linked to a "limited delegation from Congress to inspect and disinfect property and animals."

"Congress did not, in granting those limited powers, authorize the CDC to shut down a multibillion-dollar industry for over a year," the motion said."

43 minutes ago, mek said:

There was quite a lengthy discussion on this topic not to long ago. The argument against is that more than just a few dozen cruise ships would be affected, at least some of these parties would be opposed to such a change.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

That just means you are on fire. 

Oh, oh oh oh oh
She got both feet on the ground
And she's burning it down
Oh oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh
She got her head in the clouds
And she's not backing down
This girl is on fire
This girl is on fire
She's walking on fire
This girl is on fire

I love Alicia Keys 

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 12.50.16 PM.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

The lawsuit may be a stretch but might serve as a way to negotiate with the CDC.  

"Florida argued the CDC overstepped its authority by implementing the cruise line restrictions without Congressional legislation or a presidential directive to act. The motion noted that the initial order was linked to a "limited delegation from Congress to inspect and disinfect property and animals."

"Congress did not, in granting those limited powers, authorize the CDC to shut down a multibillion-dollar industry for over a year," the motion said."

I'm not an attorney, but the HHS operating under the Public Health Service Act seems to provide every bit of counter argument they would need in this case. 

9 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I don't understand why people think the CDC is interested in negotiating what in its eyes would be the compromise of peoples health.

The quote conveniently ignores the fact that there is a Public Health Emergency in effect.

• Like 2

Just now, broberts said:

I don't understand why people think the CDC is interested in negotiating what in its eyes would be the compromise of peoples health.

The quote conveniently ignores the fact that there is a Public Health Emergency in effect.

I understand your point of view if we were still in lockdown but If everything else is open (which it is in Florida) then cruising should be allowed as well.  There are many countries that are open for cruising and they haven't been spared of the virus -- they just know how to do it safely.   

12 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I'm not an attorney, but the HHS operating under the Public Health Service Act seems to provide every bit of counter argument they would need in this case. 

Yes and that should apply across the board for all businesses -- the problem here is that just the cruise lines are shut down with everything else open and doing business. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes and that should apply across the board for all businesses -- the problem here is that just the cruise lines are shut down with everything else open and doing business. 

Lawsuits are not negotiation tools, they are blunt instruments. Like using a hammer to open a jar of preserves. I believe this is why no cruise line has sued the government. And even if the lawsuit is helpful in moving the CDC, it still does no good for Alaska because of the PVSA.

Yesterday Fauci said the COVID-19 transmission risk for people engaging in outdoor activities is "minuscule," especially for vaccinated individuals.

Does that include sunning by the pool on a cruise ship ??

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1