Proof of Vax or Not. Would you cruise

Would you Cruise  

373 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise if proof of Vax was not required

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, jcool said:

I love carnival but I am thinking about changing carnival for NCL because you have to be vax to go on NCL. 

None of the mass market lines have come out with their vax/no vax requirements yet on embarking from US ports.  NCL's policy is on their non US embarkation ports from July-Oct only.

Carnival may start with the 95% rule with some of their ships since that would be the quickest way to generate revenue and get some ships going.  But once again, NO cruise lines have said which way they are going yet...95% or test cruises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jcool said:

I love carnival but I am thinking about changing carnival for NCL because you have to be vax to go on NCL. 

Lol and what if when both finally come out with a policy they are exactly the same? 

Why not wait until you know carnivals policy. Seems a bit hasty. 

• Like 1

My family and I are not getting the vaccine, so I would be bummed if a vaccination was required.  We love cruising, but we will not get the vaccine just to be able to cruise again.  I do love living in a free country and while I have missed cruising, there are lots of vacation options that don't/won't require a vaccine.  Personally, having to take a test at port would keep me from booking as well, simply because we are a large family.  I think a negative test at port is silly since the vaccine doesn't prevent becoming infected.  It reduces symptoms if infected.  So my negative result at port may become positive by the lovely vaccinated passengers who were able to board without being tested.  Yeah, at this point, we just took a refund because it's not worth the stress of the unknown.  Hopefully, in the coming months, we will transition back into a less panicked process.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, happylittlefamily said:

My family and I are not getting the vaccine, so I would be bummed if a vaccination was required.  We love cruising, but we will not get the vaccine just to be able to cruise again.  I do love living in a free country and while I have missed cruising, there are lots of vacation options that don't/won't require a vaccine.  Personally, having to take a test at port would keep me from booking as well, simply because we are a large family.  I think a negative test at port is silly since the vaccine doesn't prevent becoming infected.  It reduces symptoms if infected.  So my negative result at port may become positive by the lovely vaccinated passengers who were able to board without being tested.  Yeah, at this point, we just took a refund because it's not worth the stress of the unknown.  Hopefully, in the coming months, we will transition back into a less panicked process.  

Everyone needs to make their own decision whether they are comfortable cruising or not.   Based on the posted NCL policy, everyone needs to take a test before they board the ship.   I think that is a great idea for the short term.   I have had the first dose and looking forward to the second and to start cruising!

11 hours ago, happylittlefamily said:

I think testing EVERYONE by cruise ships at the port is a GREAT idea (for now) BECAUSE the vaccine doesn't prevent becoming infected.  NCL and RCCL (I think) are mandating it for cruises offshore, and the CDC is likely to do the same for cruises out of the U.S.  Since vaccinated people who have been unlucky enough to catch the virus are more likely to be asymptomatic, it's even more important to test them since a symptom screening/temperature check is less likely to work.    

Once the virus is perceived to be only a minimal threat, we can chuck all the vaccine and testing requirements into the dustbin of history.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, jcool said:

I'm thinking of switching from NCL to Carnival because you do NOT have to be vax on Carnival.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, knight2096 said:

I'm thinking of switching from NCL to Carnival because you do NOT have to be vax on Carnival.

You do not know that for sure. With the new 95%/98% protocol to eliminate test cruises, Carnival may very well change to requiring vaccinations. No one knows for sure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, knight2096 said:

You'll get your wish either way.  If the initial cruises are the 95% route, you'll have to be in the 5% group in order to cruise.   If some ships go the test route, then you'll be good to go without taking the jab.

SNJCruise  

I have the jab done a long time ago. I have been a role model to my family. I had to talk my parents into get it, and my sibling now I am working on my kids. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcool said:

SNJCruise  

I have the jab done a long time ago. I have been a role model to my family. I had to talk my parents into get it, and my sibling now I am working on my kids. 

Don't know why you directed your post to me, but congratulations. 

On 5/4/2021 at 6:48 PM, happylittlefamily said:

I’m still not getting the connection between vaxing and freedom but God Bless

53 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

The freedom to choose to get the shot, and the freedom to say no to a vaccine only approved for emergency use.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

9 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

The freedom to choose to get the shot, and the freedom to say no to a vaccine only approved for emergency use.

There are two other aspects of freedom at play here - the FREEDOM to do certain activities and the FREEDOM from unreasonable government interference.  I think we can all agree that governments of all levels have taken a much more active role in our lives over the past year.  What we can do has been determined, in large part, on what they're willing to allow us to do.  Once the damage this virus can do is brought down to manageable levels, governments everywhere will have no choice but to back off and let us live our lives.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

So long as you don’t mess with my freedom to take the shot because I believe it to be effective and a much lower risk than getting Covid itself.

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

I am a school teacher, did the research , asked my doctor friends- got the vaccine. I want to teach in person- safely- and if the vaccine helps- great.  bonus- I can sail now. 

It should almost be criminal for school teachers not to get vaccinated, endangering the health and safety of a minor. DW is an elementary art teacher and fully vaccinated. She had to do a 10 day quarantine before the vaccines were available because one of her 5th graders was infected and she was exposed to her while doing lunch duty (obviously no mask while eating). Recently she was quarantined for 2 days until the State contact tracing verified her vaccine information because a staff member was infected. And the entire 3rd grade (now back) ended up in quarantine.

The Superintendent of Schools added 2 extra personal days that staff could use to get vaccinated. No school personnel who comes into contact with children, especially at an age where there is no vaccine approved yet for them, should allow themselves to skip the vaccine, JMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

It should almost be criminal for school teachers not to get vaccinated, endangering the health and safety of a minor. DW is an elementary art teacher and fully vaccinated. She had to do a 10 day quarantine before the vaccines were available because one of her 5th graders was infected and she was exposed to her while doing lunch duty (obviously no mask while eating). Recently she was quarantined for 2 days until the State contact tracing verified her vaccine information because a staff member was infected. And the entire 3rd grade (now back) ended up in quarantine.

The Superintendent of Schools added 2 extra personal days that staff could use to get vaccinated. No school personnel who comes into contact with children, especially at an age where there is no vaccine approved yet for them, should allow themselves to skip the vaccine, JMHO.

we offered many many clinics for teachers.  Delaware was very good about getting us vaccinated. I feel much much better knowing I am doing my part.   I was going to get the shot regardless of my MG ship- but if it gets me on the boat sooner- yeah. 

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Don't know whether or not you heard about this private anti vaxxer school in Miami.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/02/us/miami-centner-academy-coronavirus-vaccine.html

Other than 2 weeks in March of last year, my grandkids have attended in person preschool.  One of them had a teacher who got covid, but none of the students in her class got it.  They are just fine.  One class wears masks and the younger ones don't.  However, they don't have to wear masks while outside playing or in the gym.

On 4/24/2021 at 3:25 PM, firefly333 said:

To me anyone who booked during covid is saying they feel ok about cruising. We didnt know protocols when we booked and dont know them now. I got 11 booked, so obviously I will deal with whatever the cruiselines come up with. Perhaps I spend more time alone, or in my cabin, but whatever is required that's what I'll do. And yes I'm vaccinated.  

We have January2022 booked. So if a person was vaccinated in March , that would be 10 months after vaccination, would a third shot be required since shots wouldn't be good for that long of a period. Just asking because I read something about third booster shots being ready this summer.  I don't think I've seen anything about length of time for proving vaccinations for cruising.

5 minutes ago, grammymarcia said:

We have January2022 booked. So if a person was vaccinated in March , that would be 10 months after vaccination, would a third shot be required since shots wouldn't be good for that long of a period. Just asking because I read something about third booster shots being ready this summer.  I don't think I've seen anything about length of time for proving vaccinations for cruising.

There could be a booster required for a couple of reasons - nobody knows how long the vaccine lasts for, but it is thought at least a year, and variants could appear that require an updated vaccine. The same is true of natural immunity if such a thing exists.