Are these new restrictions on UK Seacations - Gov update 23rd April?

Rascal1

The Government have announced the sailing restrictions for UK cruises with a maximum of 1,000 passengers or 50% occupancy whichever is the lower. Just curious whether people think (or know) whether the seacation cruises were sold with this in mind or will cruise lines have to cancel some bookings? 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel

Reading about a round Britain cruise on Regal, which states it is for vaccinated Adults only and will be 50% occupancy. 
I am wondering if it is a Charter, as I cannot find it on the Princess site (16/09/21).

It has Lulu and Katherine Jenkins as entertainers.

Unfortunately, I cannot mention the TA who are selling it, but it includes the Premium package, WiFi and gratuities.

Edited by upwarduk

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Are there any port calls on these Seacations?

Not for the shorter cruises in July/August - but there are some UK ports for a few of the September Seacations:

Regal Princess

image.png.b7508e714ee738a9620bd9dbb18080ed.png

Sky Princess

image.png.70553991bfef585a9ae5088ecd99c4bf.png

Edited by dides
  • Like 2

Definitely.. a lot will be riding on the success of these cruises for future sailings.  
Think that is why the majority of the lines offering the summer seacations have insisted on fully vaccinated passengers.  Far less likely to have a case onboard.  News headlines will jump on any new cases occurring at sea.  
Although we are excited to be getting back to sea we are not looking forward to the tight restrictions that will almost certainly be imposed.  

3 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Definitely.. a lot will be riding on the success of these cruises for future sailings.  
Think that is why the majority of the lines offering the summer seacations have insisted on fully vaccinated passengers.  Far less likely to have a case onboard.  News headlines will jump on any new cases occurring at sea.  
Although we are excited to be getting back to sea we are not looking forward to the tight restrictions that will almost certainly be imposed.  

But crew vaccination will not be required? Bizarre, therein lies a potential problem re covid transmission.

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But crew vaccination will not be required? Bizarre, therein lies a potential problem re covid transmission.

But the crew will all have been quarantined,  and therefore Covid free, and all the passengers will have been vaccinated,  and therefore Covid free, so, what, exactly is the issue?  

43 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But the crew will all have been quarantined,  and therefore Covid free, and all the passengers will have been vaccinated,  and therefore Covid free, so, what, exactly is the issue?  

Only that if a case does get on board (vaccines are not a perfect barrier, though they do reduce risk significantly) then it would not take much for it to spread throughout an unvaccinated crew.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not impossible for covid to appear on the ship, notwithstanding the measures you mention. In Australia covid has spread in quarantine hotels.  I would like to know why the cruise lines, i.e. Princess are not vaccinating all crew, cost? too hard? I am sure it will be a government requirement here if they ever sail into Australian waters again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Only that if a case does get on board (vaccines are not a perfect barrier, though they do reduce risk significantly) then it would not take much for it to spread throughout an unvaccinated crew.

Exactly and to the point and that would be the end of cruising for another couple of years. I find it difficult to accept why the UK Government is not insisting on 100% vaccination of ships crews, given the Covid numbers in UK, granted they are reducing from what they were, but 2000 odd positive cases a day is still a concern.

Edited by NSWP

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

I would like to know why the cruise lines, i.e. Princess are not vaccinating all crew, cost? too hard?

Probably because most crew come from countries where vaccines are not yet available to them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Exactly and to the point and that would be the end of cruising for another couple of years. I find it difficult to accept why the UK Government is not insisting on 100% vaccination of ships crews, given the Covid numbers in UK, granted they are reducing from what they were, but 2000 odd positive cases a day is still a concern.

The 2000 positive cases are now confined to areas of the UK where vaccination take up is low, mainly in areas with high ethnic populations. The rest of the UK is basically Covid free. The chances of CV19 being introduced onto the ship are minimal.

Is there a risk - possibly, but I think the view of the cruise lines and of the UK government is that the risk is one that can be taken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The 2000 positive cases are now confined to areas of the UK where vaccination take up is low, mainly in areas with high ethnic populations. The rest of the UK is basically Covid free. The chances of CV19 being introduced onto the ship are minimal.

Is there a risk - possibly, but I think the view of the cruise lines and of the UK government is that the risk is one that can be taken.

Fair comment, thank you, i have cruised several times from Southampton on Pando uk and Princess. Stay safe.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

The chances of CV19 being introduced onto the ship are minimal.

It has been reported in the US that the main vaccines are 94% effective at preventing hospitalization from Covid-19 in people 65 and older.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/04/28/covid-vaccine-passport-variants-mask-cdc/4864047001/?utm

So this means that a number of those vaccinated will still contract covid-19, but few of those require hospitalization. To me (and I am not a medical expert), this means even vaccinated people can get on a ship while having covid-19.

3 minutes ago, caribill said:

It has been reported in the US that the main vaccines are 94% effective at preventing hospitalization from Covid-19 in people 65 and older.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/04/28/covid-vaccine-passport-variants-mask-cdc/4864047001/?utm

So this means that a number of those vaccinated will still contract covid-19, but few of those require hospitalization. To me (and I am not a medical expert), this means even vaccinated people can get on a ship while having covid-19.

So the odd vaccinated person can potentially board with Covid and pass it on to someone who thought they were protected from their inoculation. Very slim odds IMHO and the severity of the infection could well be minor too. If Princess were to discover this then no doubt they would quarantine well away from passengers and crew those infected. I really don't see the risk or potential danger.

6 hours ago, Esprit said:

So the odd vaccinated person can potentially board with Covid and pass it on to someone who thought they were protected from their inoculation. Very slim odds IMHO and the severity of the infection could well be minor too. If Princess were to discover this then no doubt they would quarantine well away from passengers and crew those infected. I really don't see the risk or potential danger.

Quite right. 

In the new environment there is always going to be some risk, it's a matter of living with the risk, and having plans ready if required. 

On 4/29/2021 at 2:06 AM, NSWP said:

With around 1 million Covid tests a day in the U.k and the likely hood of false positives then 2000 is extremely low. The government  published data yesterday on the first two weeks of testing kids when the schools reopened. They had lateral flow tests twice a week at school and if positive had a PCR test to double check.  62% of the initial positive results were false positives.  The lateral flow tests are the free ones available to anyone in England. 

On 4/29/2021 at 8:12 AM, caribill said:

Probably because most crew come from countries where vaccines are not yet available to them.

plus the vaccine isn’t available privately in the U.K. yet so Princess couldn’t vaccinate its crew. 

On 4/27/2021 at 5:47 PM, upwarduk said:

Reading about a round Britain cruise on Regal, which states it is for vaccinated Adults only and will be 50% occupancy. 
I am wondering if it is a Charter, as I cannot find it on the Princess site (16/09/21).

It has Lulu and Katherine Jenkins as entertainers.

Unfortunately, I cannot mention the TA who are selling it, but it includes the Premium package, WiFi and gratuities.

Yes this has popped up in my feed as a promotion by the company that does cruise event tie-ins so they must have chartered it.

An Exclusive and Unique Cruising Experience
Experience the Ultimate Summer “seacation” as you cruise on board the beautiful Regal Princess on a seven-night all-inclusive cruise of the spectacular British Isles, complete with a wealth of dazzling entertainment and a star-studded line-up. From a concert with classical superstar Katherine Jenkins to a powerhouse performance from rock and soul icon Lulu and an audience with football legend Harry Redknapp. We’ve hosted magical events around the world and are now bringing, for the first time, these once-in-a-lifetime experiences on board.