Oceania Sailing Restart August, 29th!!

Aloha 1

15 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

I’m with Heather.  I won’t sail if I’m required to wear a mask in public areas.  I can’t imagine strolling through Horizons with a mask.  I’m fully vaccinated and if everyone else on the ship is also vaccinated I’ll feel safe enough.  By the time we’re allowed to sail in August I hope most of this mess is behind us, but meanwhile I’m getting on with my life without a mask.  

Yup,  we feel the same way.  Can not see wearing a mask for most of the trip.  If that is the rule we will cancel and re book later on when this is over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

It would be a nice gesture on Oceania's part to upgrade those of us who have had this cruise booked and deposited since 2019, might encourage some not to cancel.

Anyone tried asking for better promo or a matched offer for their original booked cruise on their next cruise? I'm kinda thinking about writing customer service and asking. I think they handled the cancelations really poorly and are hoping we just don't complain. What I've learned from other O travelers over the years if that to get anything you have to be a squeaky wheel. I used to never complain about missed ports, or flooded bathrooms. Then I'd hear on another cruise that people who DID complain got money back or upgraded. So now I reach out and speak up...

16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The SF Chronicle just reported the facts about FULLY VACCINATED people who contracted Covid. It doesn’t make them up or analyze them. The numbers come from the State Heath Department. And BTW, the current stats (per the CDC) across ALL vaccines in use in the USA state an average effectiveness of 70-90% - NOT 95%. PLEASE get your facts straight. (And make sure to get the eventual booster shots [under development] to handle the current and future variants for which we have no efficacy stats).

In any case, “will not” and “have not” die(d) are vastly different things. The jury is still out on what exactly is the long term evidenced efficacy of the vaccines.  Even the CDC has not fully approved any one vaccine - choosing instead to continue “emergency authorization.”

The SF Chronicle had no way of knowing whether these fully vaccinated people follow the 2 weeks after protocol. There are always going to be outliers.

The CDC does not approve vaccines. That is the FDA. The latest study from the CDC states AT LEAST 90% efficacy for Moderna and Pfizer, 75% for J & J. The manufacturer data points to 95%. No one really knows if a booster shot will be needed since we've only been at this for 6 months. Time will tell but I would have no problem getting a booster IF needed . BTW, 90 or 95% efficacy does not mean that 5% WILL get the bug, ,just that that is the statistical risk.

Edited by Aloha 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, csolyn said:

Anyone tried asking for better promo or a matched offer for their original booked cruise on their next cruise? I'm kinda thinking about writing customer service and asking. I think they handled the cancelations really poorly and are hoping we just don't complain. What I've learned from other O travelers over the years if that to get anything you have to be a squeaky wheel. I used to never complain about missed ports, or flooded bathrooms. Then I'd hear on another cruise that people who DID complain got money back or upgraded. So now I reach out and speak up...

Yes, I did. I asked to "lift and shift" to the identical sailing next year, Aug. 7 2022,  for the same category cabin at the same price. I was told no. I am currently booked for 29 August in an inside for $2299 pp with prepaid gratuities and $300 OBC. 

This is the answer my TA gave me:

I spoke with Oceania this afternoon. They are not offering a “Lift & Shift” with price protection as three other lines were doing. The 7 August 2022 sailing is waitlisted up to a B3 category. The least expensive option is $4349 per person and we do not have prepaid gratuities on that sailing.

1 hour ago, csolyn said:

Worth a try

I have a good TA that advocates  for me

23 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

I’m with Heather.  I won’t sail if I’m required to wear a mask in public areas.  I can’t imagine strolling through Horizons with a mask.  I’m fully vaccinated and if everyone else on the ship is also vaccinated I’ll feel safe enough.  By the time we’re allowed to sail in August I hope most of this mess is behind us, but meanwhile I’m getting on with my life without a mask.  

Are you aware of "the mess" going on in India that gets worse by the day. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 8:22 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Because the repercussions of anyone on board testing positive is disastrous, both to that entire cruise and to the cruise line and industry as a whole.

If there is an outbreak of Covid or worse case scenario, a death caused by Covid on some of the first cruises to sail, it will be more than disastrous. It will probably be the end of the cruise industry as we know it. They will not be able to withstand another long shutdown that would come if the ships do not appear safe.

Respect the opinion of all of the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers out there. But...for the love of Jesus and all that is Holy please stay off the first cruises. We absolutely can not risk any problems. The first departures that leave the US or anywhere else HAVE to go off without problems.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, clo said:

Can they hire from elsewhere?

Butlers require special training.  We had a suite on NCL's Price of America in Hawaii, with its all-US crew.  Our butler was a nice young woman, sweet personality – but not trained as a butler.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 1:33 PM, pinotlover said:

Getting the butlers out of India in the next 30-45 days may also be a task! 😳

I attended a webinar Wednesday morning (April 28) presented by the hotel school at my alma mater (Cornell) regarding “Restarting the Cruise Industry”. The main speakers were Frank Del Rio and RCL’s Richard Fain. FDR reaffirmed the 100% vaccination requirement. He also stated that one of the main practical concerns regarding the restart is that a major percentage of crew are from India and The Philippines.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

He also stated that one of the main practical concerns regarding the restart is that a major percentage of crew are from India and The Philippines.

Indeed.

The Global situation is a big concern at present.

There were almost as many cases globally last week as in the first five months of the pandemic. This from the WHO Director General.

Add to that an increasing number of travel bans placed on high risk countries and it is obvious we have a long way to go yet.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 1