Many further NCL cancellations

ziggyuk

Have you noticed the following "conditions":-

Guests who had an active reservation on a suspended cruise will automatically receive a refund of their cruise fare in the original form of payment for the amount paid by June 1st for our April 6th suspension, and June 22nd for our April 28th suspension.

Additionally, a 10% off coupon will be automatically added to the guest's account, if the guest has not already received one for a previously cancelled sailing or an account that currently has a 10% coupon.

The bolding and increased size are mine.   I think that is really "penny pinching".   

They cancel and give you your money back, having had the use of it for heaven knows how long, and give you nothing for the inconvenience and so on.

37 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Guests who had an active reservation on a suspended cruise will automatically receive a refund of their cruise fare in the original form of payment for the amount paid by June 1st for our April 6th suspension, and June 22nd for our April 28th suspension.

Additionally, a 10% off coupon will be automatically added to the guest's account, if the guest has not already received one for a previously cancelled sailing or an account that currently has a 10% coupon.

Must be a regional thing - here's what I got (USA):

image.thumb.png.c97ff482015d5b512ed3beb835a00365.png

Having said that, when my last cruise was cancelled, I had to fight to get a 2nd certificate, even though I already applied the first one to a replacement cruise.  3 cancelled cruises should give me 3 certificates if I read this correctly, as long as I continue to rebook each time something is cancelled.

11 hours ago, casofilia said:

Norwegian Dawn, Spirit and Star with embarkation dates through and including September 30, 2021

Does anyone know when the Spirit was due to start cruising in Europe, please?   I feel it was supposed to be before September 30.

During October they are due to be there and then they are due to leave Athens on the 7th November to go to Australia and New Zealand via 4 ports in INDIA!!!

Final payment would be about 7th July for this Athens departure.

1) Will NCL or passengers want to visit India?

2) Will the Australian and New Zealand governments allow the Spirit to visit?   Especially if it has visited India?

3) When will (should) NCL make a decision regarding the visit of the Spirit to Australia and new Zealand?

I'm  booked on the Spirit on its first cruise from Sydney. I'm still optimistic if the authorities cooperate Australian and NZ passengers can travel.

I'd  be more concerned about the preceding cruise from Singapore I think. As an educated guess it may be cancelled for passengers so the crew can spend time in a bubble and prove the ship is covid free

@julig22image.thumb.png.c97ff482015d5b512ed3beb835a00365.png

My reading of the above * and ** and what I found appears to me that they have updated what you received.

What was the date of your notification?   The one I quoted was the Update of 28th April.

The FAQ on "Suspended Sailings" updated on 6th April have a similar set of information as you have.

Careful pedantic read of all your information (and in the FAQs) means you should get another 10% discount even if you have had one previously provided:-

You don't have one sitting unused

or

You don't have one applied to the actual cruise that is now being suspended.

Looking at what I quoted changes that

Additionally, a 10% off coupon will be automatically added to the guest's account, if the guest has not already received one for a previously cancelled sailing or an account that currently has a 10% coupon.

Pedantically that statement is somewhat illogical.   It really should finish at "sailing"   

It also means that you won't get another if you have had one at any time for a cancelled sailing.

Edited by casofilia

@grozzy1

Remember that the Spirit is travelling from Athens to the Aus/NZ region via India starting on Nov 7th.

Will NCL have it sail all that way passenger free?

Will Passengers want to visit India?

Remember that the bubble specifically excludes cruise liners.

12 minutes ago, casofilia said:

My reading of the above * and ** and what I found appears to me that they have updated what you received.

What was the date of your notification?   The one I quoted was the Update of 28th April.

The FAQ on "Suspended Sailings" updated on 6th April have a similar set of information as you have.

Careful pedantic read of all your information (and in the FAQs) means you should get another 10% discount even if you have had one previously provided:-

You don't have one sitting unused

or

You don't have one applied to the actual cruise that is now being suspended.

Looking at what I quoted changes that

Additionally, a 10% off coupon will be automatically added to the guest's account, if the guest has not already received one for a previously cancelled sailing or an account that currently has a 10% coupon.

Pedantically that statement is somewhat illogical.   It really should finish at "sailing"   

It also means that you won't get another if you have had one at any time for a cancelled sailing.

Letter dated April 28th, same as you.  Pretty much the same wording as prior cancellation - and I had to fight to get the 10%, even tho I didn't have an unused one in my account.  So time will tell.

18 minutes ago, grozzy1 said:

I'm  booked on the Spirit on its first cruise from Sydney. I'm still optimistic if the authorities cooperate Australian and NZ passengers can travel.

I'd  be more concerned about the preceding cruise from Singapore I think. As an educated guess it may be cancelled for passengers so the crew can spend time in a bubble and prove the ship is covid free

I hope not...I'm booked on that Singapore to Sydney cruise!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, casofilia said:

The bolding and increased size are mine.   I think that is really "penny pinching".   

They cancel and give you your money back, having had the use of it for heaven knows how long, and give you nothing for the inconvenience and so on.

Yes, you only get one 10% either a new one or returned from cancellation but not two.

I just got my 10% returned to my account today from the cancelled Alaska. I called my PCC and the good thing is the 10% can be applied to an existing booking so I had it applied to my Dec 2022 Transatlantic.

I'm done now until things improve, I'm moving everything I can (Cruise Next, 10%, FCC) to my Dec 2022 and not booking anything through NCL until I see real evidence sailings will actually happen

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Yes, you only get one 10% either a new one or returned from cancellation but not two.

I just got my 10% returned to my account today from the cancelled Alaska. 

Not expecting two from the same cancelled cruise.  There is a difference between "one per customer" and "one per cancelled cruise". 2 different letters sent out. 

My just cancelled Alaska cruise is still in my account, so don't know anything yet; I didn't get anything from the cancelled cruise it replaced, so no 10% to return but a new one would be a little helpful.

9 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I booked mine with Easyjet, they allow free cancellation in the form of a voucher for future flights if you need to cancel.

I was happy with that.

Thanks. Have booked mine today without luggage. A good price and as you said, they can be changed FoC

21 hours ago, FuninWB said:

Our October Bermuda cruise out of Boston was cancelled this morning. I am wondering if all NCL cruises from Boston have been cancelled for 2021.

I think so, all the Canadian cruises out of Boston were cancelled a while ago.  We were booked on the November 5th cruise to Bermuda from Boston and we received the same letter, it is cancelled.  We were booked on the same cruise last November, and it was cancelled, so we moved it forward one year.  We are trying to decide about moving it to 2022. 

Like many of you we have had a couple of cruises each year cancelled, so disappointing. 

On 4/28/2021 at 10:23 AM, graphicguy said:

Unfortunately, without some cooperation by the Canadian Gov't, Alaska cruises won't happen.  July was probably going to be a difficult date to meet.

The rest of those cancellations; I'm not sure where they're originating from or where they were headed.  That may have a lot to do with their cancellations, though.

We were booked on Escape departing October 10th from Copenhagen and heading to the Baltics and disembarking in Southampton. Second time for us on this kind of itinerary being cancelled. Very disappointing. 

10 hours ago, julig22 said:

I hope not...I'm booked on that Singapore to Sydney cruise!

Me too!  I wonder when Norwegian will pull the trigger on either a new itinerary for the Spirit or cancelling cruise?  (In my humble opinion I do not believe Australia will permit cruise ships in 2021.)  

On 4/28/2021 at 10:41 AM, RD64 said:

Graphic Guy why are people still blaming Canada? It does not appear that your American government is in any rush to solve American bureaucratic problems.

Yup, this.  Canada could open for cruising tomorrow, and there still wouldn't be Alaska and New England cruises happening.

The call is coming from inside the house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, casofilia said:

@Dgoddess61  @julig22

If you are booked through NCL direct how about hassling your PCC to get something done.

I have made enquiries of mine and suggest everyone seeks information.

??????  What exactly do you expect a pcc to do?  They aren't the ones making decisions on itineraries, cancellations, etc.  Best they can do is make sure your discounts, credits and so on get applied correctly - and I've got that part covered, no need to "hassle" anyone.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Yup, this.  Canada could open for cruising tomorrow, and there still wouldn't be Alaska and New England cruises happening.

Sen Patty Murray of Washington state blocked the CRUISE act.  So no support for Alaska cruises out of Seattle.

@julig22

Pass concerns and requests "up the chain".

I know that they personally can do nothing and, from the Antipodes, the Sydney office can do nothing.   But if people get in touch and they do pass concerns/requests forward Head Office MIGHT think a little more about the future of the Spirit cruises.

Even if the only thing NCL did, at this time, was to move the Cancellation Schedule from 120 days, as it is now, to 30 days then people would have lots more time to see how "the cookie crumbles".

If you were to be getting on the Spirit in Athens as it is supposed to leave for the Antipodes would you be happy to have to make Final Payment and a decision to cruise in about 2 months time?

1 hour ago, Named-Tawny said:

I keep reiterating this... it's NOT us (Canada... some don't even recognize as a country I guess).  Get your govt to change the regulations of the PVSA! We can't make that change. 

Please, stop blaming someone else for your problems.  We love the US but... seriously, we're not to blame for your problems... own up... 

Edited by All-ready2cruise
  • Like 2

On 4/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, sid_9169 said:

Every single month, it's like groundhog day all over again... Isn't it great of the CDC to "allow" vaccinated Americans to go outside without a mask on?... 

THIS!  Gee, we've been going outside without a mask on for almost a year now.  Mandates by politicians are a joke.  The only masks I see anymore are inside the grocery stores and stores.  We've been eating inside restaurants since last fall.  Only the servers wear masks.  Most everyone I know has had a vaccine.  We've been traveling all over the south with our camping trailer, waiting for cruises to resume (we're booked on the Gem in August out of the Dominican Republic).  The CDC has become a conversational joke. I feel sorry for people who live in Michigan, as well.  Just my observations.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2021 at 2:28 AM, casofilia said:

Here is the list from the NCL website:-

• Ship - Suspended Through
  • Pride of America - July 31, 2021
  • Norwegian Bliss - July 31, 2021
  • Norwegian Sky - August 30, 2021
  • Norwegian Star - September 23, 2021
  • Norwegian Spirit - September 24, 2021
  • Norwegian Dawn - September 26, 2021
  • Norwegian Sun - October 7, 2021
  • Norwegian Escape - October 10, 2021
  • Norwegian Breakaway - October 17, 2021
  • Norwegian Encore - October 28, 2021
  • Norwegian Pearl - November 7, 2021
  • Norwegian Jewel - November 13, 2021

yes, our New England/Canada cruise is cancelled. Odd how they mention Alaska cruises due to the Canadian restrictions but not the new england/canadian cruises.

19 hours ago, julig22 said:

Sen Patty Murray of Washington state blocked the CRUISE act.  So no support for Alaska cruises out of Seattle.

Yes.  And Senator Murkowsky tried to add an amendment to a separate existing bill in the Senate to bring it up for a quick vote yesterday and Senator Mike Lee blocked that.  The Alaska legislation is going to remain in limbo most likely.

On 4/28/2021 at 11:28 PM, casofilia said:

Here is the list from the NCL website:-

• Ship - Suspended Through
  • Pride of America - July 31, 2021
  • Norwegian Bliss - July 31, 2021
  • Norwegian Sky - August 30, 2021
  • Norwegian Star - September 23, 2021
  • Norwegian Spirit - September 24, 2021
  • Norwegian Dawn - September 26, 2021
  • Norwegian Sun - October 7, 2021
  • Norwegian Escape - October 10, 2021
  • Norwegian Breakaway - October 17, 2021
  • Norwegian Encore - October 28, 2021
  • Norwegian Pearl - November 7, 2021
  • Norwegian Jewel - November 13, 2021

Still hopeful for our POA cruise October 2 but that, of course, depends on what the State of Hawaii decides. Alternate plan is to rebook for spring 2022 & visit New Orleans this fall. Also have a road trip planned to Lake Tahoe area this summer, but I sure miss cruising!

On 4/29/2021 at 3:00 AM, casofilia said:

I tried fighting them on this, and I lost. I've had 3 cancelled cruises. The first one was from Jan 2021 and I got the coupon & applied it to my October sailing. Second cancellation was from an April 2021 sailing, I got another coupon and it was sitting in my account for a while because I didn't know what to do with it. Then October was cancelled, and I was told I had 24 hrs to apply the existing coupon or it would be lost, so we added it a May 2022 sailing. They refuse to give me back my original coupon or give me another one for the cancelled October sailing.

So 3 cancellations, 2 coupons, but only one currently valid and active & used. If the May 2022 sailing is cancelled then I'll have 4 cancelled cruises with nothing to show for it except airline credits I won't be able to use along with my CN certificates I won't be able to use.

The expected first sailing, Jade July 25, is no longer sold on NCL.com.... lets hope its sold out or a technical glitch... anyone hear otherwise?