The Daily for Friday Apr 30, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

I think I am more excited for DD's appointment than I was for ours.  She got the "invitation" this afternoon, and has made her appointment for next Tuesday.  Then we will have a vaccinated household.

Yay!  Things are starting to shape up, aren't they?  Good luck to her!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I think I am more excited for DD's appointment than I was for ours.  She got the "invitation" this afternoon, and has made her appointment for next Tuesday.  Then we will have a vaccinated household.

Fabulous, Ann 👍 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, richwmn said:

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/30

The Dutch national colors are flying over the port of L.A. (San Pedro Cruise Center/Berth 93) today 🙂 Westie came to La La Land from La Paz, Mexico for bunkering and provisioning and is heading back there. Her older sister Zuiderdam is "next door" at the Long Beach inner breakwater anchorage 

May be an image of nature

May be an image of outdoors

No photo description available.

Los Angeles & Long Beach Cruise Ship Berths.jpg

Los Angeles & Long Beach Ports.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@kpladyyour photo of the waving Captain to your balcony reminds me of a cruise where we had a balcony below and a few cabins aft of the bridge.  We were able to watch the goings-on in the bridge quite a bit.  Lots of waving back and forth.  Great memories from our cruising days!

A word of warning, which you probably know, be careful what you are wearing when going out on the balcony.  Years ago on the Tahitian Princes, we were in a balcony just aft of the bridge.  On our arrival in Hiva Oa, just after we woke up, we realized it was too rough to tender. I decided I’d better get some pictures while I could.  I grabbed my camera and hurried outside.  After getting my pictures, I looked up and there was the Captain on the open bridge wing.  I smiled and waved,  Fortunately, I taken time to put my robe on.  😀

We met a CD who told us we’d be surprised what they could see from the bridge wings.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A word of warning, which you probably know, be careful what you are wearing when going out on the balcony.  Years ago on the Tahitian Princes, we were in a balcony just aft of the bridge.  On our arrival in Hiva Oa, just after we woke up, we realized it was too rough to tender. I decided I’d better get some pictures while I could.  I grabbed my camera and hurried outside.  After getting my pictures, I looked up and there was the Captain on the open bridge wing.  I smiled and waved,  Fortunately, I taken time to put my robe on.  😀

We met a CD who told us we’d be surprised what they could see from the bridge wings.

Lenda

Absolutely!  No worries, I am always very careful!😉

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The Dutch national colors are flying over the port of L.A. (San Pedro Cruise Center/Berth 93) today 🙂 Westie came to La La Land from La Paz, Mexico for bunkering and provisioning and is heading back there. Her older sister Zuiderdam is "next door" at the Long Beach inner breakwater anchorage 

May be an image of nature

No photo description available.

Los Angeles & Long Beach Cruise Ship Berths.jpg

Los Angeles & Long Beach Ports.jpg

Must have crossed paths with you, Copper. I didn’t see a place to park near Westie. It looks like you might have driven or walked up the street to the terminal or dock? It didn’t look open to me. (I ended up at Ports of Call, or what remains of it.)

1EED7436-8BBF-4F27-92ED-937C9E283096.thumb.jpeg.4336da2310521cc91783aaa5af7d825f.jpeg

I was a little concerned about having proper change or bill denominations for the Vincent Thomas Bridge, and couldn’t remember which way pays toll. Does either now? ( Am I dating myself?😜)

It was a thrill to look down from the bridge (west bound) and see Westie.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@TiogaCruiser what part did you break?  Was it on a sewing machine, or serger?  I have a little Bernette 60 that has just been a workhorse for the past 15 or more years, and I absolutely love it.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Nothing broke. (It’s a Bernina.😁). I got a new 590 last year when covid broke out, and just got the online education. We tried several feet, and I sprung for a new Teflon foot ( a “D”), one that utilizes the secondary upper feed. I sort of have a stable of Berninas. And I love each and every one. I traded my 180Artista for the 590. It has an even better satin stitch than my 1020. And it’s embroidery is phenomenal. Also have a d1500 serger. It ‘a older technology but fully metal with a good motor.

Funny story about getting the machine. We were under lock down, and where my dealer is  was even stricter. We made the trade agreement via email. The store could only be open for pick up or drop off of sewing machines, ( essential to make masks), no one allowed inside. When I got there, the landlord had the parking lot closed as they were doing (essential) repairs. So the owner and I exchanged machines (both masked, set machines on table and back away), and I gave him my credit card in the alley behind the store. Yep, I made my “buy” in the alley. 😳

Later I got home and realized I didn’t get the pedal nor the cord, and they were closed until the following week, (and because I was working, Friday would be the first time I could get it.) The owner of the store did offer to drive it to my house ( probably an hour each way), but we agreed to be just happen to be in the SAME parking lot at the same time, and he would JUST HAPPEN to have my missing parts in his car. Yep. I guess I have a warped sense of humor.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Good evening everyone and Happy Friday!  I am late today, DH took the day off work and that always puts me behind. Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

@dfish I am reading all the past posts while I was gone and I missed your birthday on Monday!  So Happy belated birthday!!  I hope it was special. 

Happy Arbor Day and Hairstyle Day. DH is a jazz lover and took me to a jazz festival when we were dating. The meal suggestion doesn’t sound good to me. I have crab in the freezer and that sounds good for tonight. 

@NextOne I am so glad you posted!  I was beginning to worry!  Prayers for your DH and his surgery. 

@Horizon chaser 1957 I am so sorry about your news and I will be thinking and praying for you and your family. 

@VictOriann Great news about your biopsy report!

We have sailed the St Lawrence River twice and will again in October 2022. It’s one of my top 5 itineraries. I will look for pictures. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Must have crossed paths with you, Copper. I didn’t see a place to park near Westie. It looks like you might have driven or walked up the street to the terminal or dock? It didn’t look open to me. (I ended up at Ports of Call, or what remains of it.)

1EED7436-8BBF-4F27-92ED-937C9E283096.thumb.jpeg.4336da2310521cc91783aaa5af7d825f.jpeg

I was a little concerned about having proper change or bill denominations for the Vincent Thomas Bridge, and couldn’t remember which way pays toll. Does either now? ( Am I dating myself?😜)

It was a thrill to look down from the bridge (west bound) and see Westie.

I parked in the red - short time only, no Port of L.A. cops in sight 😇 - by the entrance for the Catalina Island terminal to get those shots. Toll for the Vincent Tomas (westbound only) went out the door twenty one years ago in 2000 😉 We should have a meet next time! (just learned from her chief engineer that Nieuw A will be back on 09 May) 😉 Are you on FB? 

• Like 4

It is getting late for todays posts.  My first St Lawrence cruise was on the beautiful and elegant Maasdam in May, 2006.  It was the repositioning cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal.  Leaving Ft Lauderdale, it was the Maasdam's first cruise since drydock after the Signature of Excellence renovations.  The ship was in great shape.  Charleston, SC, was our first port followed by Norfolk, and then New York City/ Manhattan !  Onto New London, CT and Newport, RI, and Bar Harbor. Then Canada: Halifax, Sydney, PEI, Quebec City and finally Montreal.  A really tremendous itinerary that was never repeated.  May is too early for the St Lawrence as it turned cold and rainy, but the US east coast was wonderful.  Quebec City was our favorite Canadian port and has been a top rated Holland America port.  We remained in Quebec later than scheduled to allow enough room under the bridge at lower tide.  

I repeated the cruise in 2014, but without 3 of the US ports and added Gaspe', Sept-Isles and Saguenay.  Again, it was cold and windy and rain the second week in Canada in May and therefore not nearly as pleasant as the 2006 cruise.

I suggested doing Bermuda in future years on this reposition, but that never happened.  Kurt Lanterman, former CEO prior to Stein Kruse, whom I suggested it to, thought it was a good idea with the exception of using too much fuel.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I parked in the red - short time only, no Port of L.A. cops in sight 😇 - by the entrance for the Catalina Island terminal to get those shots. Toll for the Vincent Tomas (westbound only) went out the door twenty one years ago in 2000 😉 We should have a meet next time! (just learned from her chief engineer that Nieuw A will be back on 09 May) 😉 Are you on FB? 

Not on FB. I believe you might be aware we have a link in common. (Someone you worked with is our friend/neighbor’s fiancée.)

• Like 1

Just now, TiogaCruiser said:

Not on FB. I believe you might be aware we have a link in common. (Someone you worked with is our friend/neighbor’s fiancée.)

Any chance you can get a hold of me on my throwaway email on the bottom of my sig?

• Like 1

On our 2nd Canada/New England Cruise September 2009 on the Eurodam.  New York City to Quebec City.

This was a sea day after Charlottetown:

IMG_1047.thumb.JPG.eeb3022a5463439966c2095b6d0e613f.JPG

The next day we went to Saguenay:

IMG_1091.thumb.JPG.5e1cf08a1cc9fed1c34b85c171df0e74.JPG

We were the first cruise ship to dock at the new terminal and there was quite a celebration for us.  The locals were in costume welcoming us on the pier:

IMG_1089.thumb.JPG.1fd0e6db3c0d26f34d980ed029bc29db.JPG

The wine was flowing:

IMG_1094.thumb.JPG.6434469b1e6896e2fcc70c55a9bd3dfb.JPG

That is where I got my beloved Saguenay wine glasses.  The new terminal:

IMG_1108.thumb.JPG.6b7a9281156df328dda22897e3b8daab.JPG

And afterward we sailed the Saguenay Fjord:

IMG_1113.thumb.JPG.c2a270e24ef90f9b3ac1b39771e7d818.JPG

The Madonna Statue from afar:

IMG_1130.thumb.JPG.7873c73d507ad90631ca6016dfe128c6.JPG

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 8

Really late tonight but just wanted to say thank you to all who post. Prayers  and hugs.  Enjoying all the port pictures.  Bring back wonderful cruising memories.  Congrats to all who have their shots or are getting them. 
Have  an awesome weekend. Stay well and safe. 

• Like 6