What is your favorite sandwich on or off of a cruise ship

Seamus6

15 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Since wheat is widely available and relatively inexpensive in the United States, Jewish rye bread has evolved to have very little rye in it at all. Most often the rye is found only in the sour, which is then added to the dough of wheat flour, water, salt, and commercial yeast.

Thanks.  Is Jewish Rye close to a light Rye or a dark Rye Bread?  I assume if I ordered a loaf from the bakery that CGT mentioned, that the bread would need to be sliced by me.  Correct?  

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks.  Is Jewish Rye close to a light Rye or a dark Rye Bread?  I assume if I ordered a loaf from the bakery that CGT mentioned, that the bread would need to be sliced by me.  Correct?  

It is usually lighter in color....although a good bakery can make a marble rye too, which would have darker and lighter flours.  And most places would have a slicer so they can slice it for you. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lois R said:

It is usually lighter in color....although a good bakery can make a marble rye too. Which would have darker and lighter flours.  And most places would have a slicer so they can slice it for you. 

I rather thought from the photos that I have seen of the Jewish Rye bread that it was a light Rye.  Marble Rye?  I have tried that variety as well and like it.  I wonder if that mail order bakery would slice it before a loaf is sent and, if they did, would slicing impact its ability to stay fresh, even in the freezer.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I rather thought from the photos that I have seen of the Jewish Rye bread that it was a light Rye.  Marble Rye?  I have tried that variety as well and like it.  I wonder if that mail order bakery would slice it before a loaf is sent and, if they did, would slicing impact its ability to stay fresh, even in the freezer.  

Hi again, I called Zingerman's and placed my order with them and told them to please slice it for me as well. I think the ability to stay fresh will not be an issue. I always keep my bread sealed and in the frig.

I will be glad to let you know about my final product when it gets here😀

• Like 1

Good morning from rainy/windy North Florida.......

rka, I got the loaf of rye bread yesterday.......it was shipped UPS from Zingerman's which is in Michigan.

The bread is VERY GOOD.  It is their recipe of Jewish Rye. Has a good texture and toasts very good too🙂. Not sure I will continue to buy it from them though.......20.00 every time I need a loaf just feels like a lot of $ to me.  They did send a catalog along with the bread  and some of the items sound delicious😀

Oh, they did slice it for me. 

35 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning from rainy/windy North Florida.......

rka, I got the loaf of rye bread yesterday.......it was shipped UPS from Zingerman's which is in Michigan.

The bread is VERY GOOD.  It is their recipe of Jewish Rye. Has a good texture and toasts very good too🙂. Not sure I will continue to buy it from them though.......20.00 every time I need a loaf just feels like a lot of $ to me.  They did send a catalog along with the bread  and some of the items sound delicious😀

Oh, they did slice it for me. 

Freeze the bread Lois.  It will stay nice and fresh.  $20 for the right bread…you have to do what you have to do!  

12 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Freeze the bread Lois.  It will stay nice and fresh.  $20 for the right bread…you have to do what you have to do!  

Hi CGT, it is already in the freezer😀....it is 10.00 for the bread and 10.00 for the shipping...............oh they send directions too but they don't make sense to me. It says to heat the bread for 15 minutes in a 350 oven before eating. I don't want to have to do that for 2 slices of bread every time I want to make a sandwich.😮

It may be different if you are wanting to serve an entire loaf or 1/2 loaf for a dinner with guests or something but for 2 slices of bread? I will keep it frozen and just toast it when I want some.

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi CGT, it is already in the freezer😀....it is 10.00 for the bread and 10.00 for the shipping...............

Great to hear that Lois.  I always freeze my bread and it tastes like it just came from the bakery.  If I were not near any good bakeries I would not hesitate to pay $20.  What’s a great Rubin without great rye bread??  

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never ate a Rubin.

Mama Mia!!  Never had a Rubin??  How is that possible??  You take two slices of rye bread…good Jewish deli bread…light rye, marble rye or dark rye.  You smear a good Russian dressing on both sides then heap on the hand cut corned beef and sauerkraut topped with Swiss cheese.  Then you grill the sandwich on both sides.  You really have to try this.  There is nothing like a great Rubin made with real corned beef…not the garbage you get sliced at the supermarket deli counter!  This sandwich also needs a good half sour pickle served alongside.  

• 1 month later...

Good morning, bringing this thread back up........CGT....especially😀.  Well, I found some local rye that I am VERY HAPPY about...........not sure if some of you have a "FRESH MARKET" in your region or not but I really like that store. Publix is my "usual" place to shop but Fresh Market is more specialized and I was there recently and they have a variety of bread choices and their rye? It is REALLY GOOD........the texture is excellent and it toasts beautifully. The store is about 20 minutes from where I live, which is A LOT closer than having to buy it from out of state!   

On 11/10/2022 at 7:20 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Mama Mia!!  Never had a Rubin??  How is that possible??  You take two slices of rye bread…good Jewish deli bread…light rye, marble rye or dark rye.  You smear a good Russian dressing on both sides then heap on the hand cut corned beef and sauerkraut topped with Swiss cheese.  Then you grill the sandwich on both sides.  You really have to try this.  There is nothing like a great Rubin made with real corned beef…not the garbage you get sliced at the supermarket deli counter!  This sandwich also needs a good half sour pickle served alongside.  

The idea of eating corned beef with any kind of cheese does not appeal to me.The only time I ever eat cheese with meat is when I am eating cheeseburgers ,which I love.

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, bringing this thread back up........CGT....especially😀.  Well, I found some local rye that I am VERY HAPPY about...........not sure if some of you have a "FRESH MARKET" in your region or not but I really like that store. Publix is my "usual" place to shop but Fresh Market is more specialized and I was there recently and they have a variety of bread choices and their rye? It is REALLY GOOD........the texture is excellent and it toasts beautifully. The store is about 20 minutes from where I live, which is A LOT closer than having to buy it from out of state!   

Great to hear it Lois!  Now if you can find some really good brisket, corned beef or pastrami!  So glad you finally found a rye source.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The idea of eating corned beef with any kind of cheese does not appeal to me.The only time I ever eat cheese with meat is when I am eating cheeseburgers ,which I love.

Each to his own.  I love Swiss cheese on pastrami or brisket or corned beef…just a thin slice…of course.  I also need good German deli mustard and a fresh half sour pickle.  

1 minute ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Each to his own.  I love Swiss cheese on pastrami or brisket or corned beef…just a thin slice…of course.  I also need good German deli mustard and a fresh half sour pickle.  

I never eat brisket .I love corned beef and pastrami on rye bread with mustard and a Dr.Browns Celray soda.

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

There should be places in Jacksonville,Fla .

There are different styles of brisket. We have tons of BBQ places and they smoke the brisket. 

When I was a kid my mom made it like a roast in the oven.

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

There are different styles of brisket. We have tons of BBQ places and they smoke the brisket. 

When I was a kid my mom made it like a roast in the oven.

Brisket roasted in the Jewish tradition…pan seared then covered and roasted in beef stock and onions for three hours until tender.  I used to do this when I owned my restaurant.  A hand cut brisket on rye with Swiss and deli mustard is one of my favorites…with a half sour pickle of course.  Served along side of a perfect latke would be heavenly!  

9 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Brisket roasted in the Jewish tradition…pan seared then covered and roasted in beef stock and onions for three hours until tender.  I used to do this when I owned my restaurant.  A hand cut brisket on rye with Swiss and deli mustard is one of my favorites…with a half sour pickle of course.  Served along side of a perfect latke would be heavenly!  

Hi CGT, that is how mom always cooked it......must be because that is our background🙂

14 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Traditional Jewish people do not eat dairy and meat together.