NCL Encore entertainment? Replacement of Kinky Boots

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

They are not going to install a different show to temporarily replace Kinky Boots. They will put on a guest performer with no staging. In the past this has been performers like a cappella groups. 

To be honest, I'm feeling so deprived of live entertainment that at this point they could just have crew members play Rock Paper Scissors and I'd book a seat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We like Priscilla. We were at the first performance of the show on the Epic in 2015. 

Priscilla was "interesting."  I'm surprised that a cruise line would host such a show, but nobody was forced to show up (or stay).  IIRC, we left to have a drink..... 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redsox1584 said:

I am booked on the 9/18 Encore sailing and both Kinky Boots & Choir of Man are available  to reserve. 

Not available to book for my August 21st Alaskan sailing . . . Only bookable entertainment is Choir of Man.

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 10.38.10 AM.png

10 hours ago, coastcat said:

To be honest, I'm feeling so deprived of live entertainment that at this point they could just have crew members play Rock Paper Scissors and I'd book a seat.

Totally agree. We were on Royal's first cruise out of Nassau a couple of weeks ago. In my live blog, I commented on how surreal it was to be sitting in a theater, with other people, watching a live show. For us, our last time in a theater (theatrical or movie) was on our our Nov 2019 cruise on the Encore. 18 months of being cooped up at home watching the Food Network and HGTV. Being back on a ship and in a ship's theater was magical!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, zerooveride said:

Not available to book for my August 21st Alaskan sailing . . . Only bookable entertainment is Choir of Man.

1 minute ago, jcu1210 said:

Same with us on the 7th. I feel like we may not get kinky boots

NCL just opened Choir for booking a few days ago for the early cruises. That is an indication that they have made a final decision on the entertainment schedule for the first few cruises. Based on the days that Choir is playing, my armature analysis says that Kinky Boots will not be ready for the first few cruises.

Normally, the NCL runs shows on successive days because it takes a lot of effort to setup the sets for a show and tear them down. (Kinky has several of those 1000 pound treadmills that need to be brought up and set up. Choir has the 2-story set and bar that needs to be assembled.) Having Choir playing on the two sea days, maximizes the number of people that can go and see the show (given that there are several late night port departures). 

My expectation (which I hope is wrong), is that we'll get some America's Got Talent reject guest performers, who are willing to be locked in quarantine for up to 3 weeks for a short gig, to fill the gaps on two of the other days. 

Edited by BirdTravels

On 6/26/2021 at 1:32 PM, debenson0723 said:

I just booked the September 4th sailing yesterday and Kinky Boots is bookable for Sunday and Monday at 7:30pm and 10:30pm while Choir of Man is available Thursday and Friday at 7:30pm and 10pm. So it looks like both will be onboard (I have seen both but booked Choir of Man since it is my absolute favorite).

Can't wait for all of you to get cruising!!!

Can I ask how the shows work on the big ships, I have only done Jewel class before?

I can see I can book them but only 2 dates on my 7 day, do these big shows only play a couple of days?

If so what happens on the other days, is it regular shows like I saw on the Jewel class?

Is it best to book in advance or ASAP on the ship, do they sell out?

13 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Can I ask how the shows work on the big ships, I have only done Jewel class before?

I can see I can book them but only 2 dates on my 7 day, do these big shows only play a couple of days?

If so what happens on the other days, is it regular shows like I saw on the Jewel class?

There are multiple shows, plus other entertainers that perform.

Probably best to book ahead. Also, some shows can only be booked on the ships kiosk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

On the Bliss and Joy shows I've been on, they would have the Beatles cover band play at least one night in the big theater since the 'cavern club' venue was packed for every performance...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

On a seven day the two bigger shows they show 2 nights each in the theater (4 nights total).  Those you can either book ahead, book when you board or even do standby seating (pre-covid at least).The first days is the welcome aboard show. So on a seven day cruise that leaves only 2 nights they have to fill. I am guessing they will have singers and comedians of some sort on the two “empty” days. Just a guess since the singers and comedians they bring in for the main theater tend to be American, easier to get them vaccinated and on ships, and you can have them do shows on the other nights of the cruise in the smaller venues. I feel like they normally have one night of a cirque type show in the theater but I think they are a little less likely. I am willing to be proven wrong though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

On a seven day the two bigger shows they show 2 nights each in the theater (4 nights total).  Those you can either book ahead, book when you board or even do standby seating (pre-covid at least).The first days is the welcome aboard show. So on a seven day cruise that leaves only 2 nights they have to fill. I am guessing they will have singers and comedians of some sort on the two “empty” days. Just a guess since the singers and comedians they bring in for the main theater tend to be American, easier to get them vaccinated and on ships, and you can have them do shows on the other nights of the cruise in the smaller venues. I feel like they normally have one night of a cirque type show in the theater but I think they are a little less likely. I am willing to be proven wrong though. 

Thank you for the detail, that is really great.

I had no idea I should book these, we had speciality dining booked at 7.30 & have now booked Choir of Man & Kinky Boots booked for 10.30.

Perfect thank you.

Edited by ziggyuk

6 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Thank you for the detail, that is really great.

I had no idea I should book these, we had speciality dining booked at 7.30 & have now booked Choir of Man & Kinky Boots booked for 10.30.

Perfect thank you.

If you are interested in seeing the Beatles cover band in the Cavern Club, you need to get there very early to get a seat (around an hour).  Will be curious to see how this is handled now. They typically perform 3 different eras so the show does change. And as someone mentioned, they sometimes do a show in the theater one night, which is also well attended. 

39 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

If you are interested in seeing the Beatles cover band in the Cavern Club, you need to get there very early to get a seat (around an hour).  Will be curious to see how this is handled now. They typically perform 3 different eras so the show does change. And as someone mentioned, they sometimes do a show in the theater one night, which is also well attended. 

Thank you, being from the UK the Beatles show is one thing I really want to see and probably over and over. 🤩

I was also wondering how they will handle it as I read the Cavern Club is normally packed.

7 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I had no idea I should book these, we had specialty dining booked at 7.30 & have now booked Choir of Man & Kinky Boots booked for 10.30.

Reservations really have to do with the demand to see the show. Some voyages have high demand. Some less. 

Double occupancy passenger capacity is ~4000

A full ship will have up to 4400 passengers

Theater seats 800 passengers

There are 4 performances of the two main sows

3200 maximum seats available if all 4 shows sell out

So,,, like the Titanic, there are not enough seats for every passenger to see each of the main theater shows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

Thank you, being from the UK the Beatles show is one thing I really want to see and probably over and over. 🤩

I was also wondering how they will handle it as I read the Cavern Club is normally packed.

NCL's sail safe protocols currently say that social distancing won't be required on heir 100% vaccinated sailings, so I would expect that the Cavern Club can be just as packed as usual. Only difference being that the ship itself is unlikely to sail a 100% capacity, so all the venues would, therefor, be less crowded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2021 at 10:18 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Priscilla was "interesting."  I'm surprised that a cruise line would host such a show, but nobody was forced to show up (or stay).  IIRC, we left to have a drink..... 🤣

Worst……show……ever.

• Haha 1

I just went into my Encore reservations for Aug 28th and was able to book Kinky Boots and Choir of Man.  Comedy you have to book on the ship.

but I am seeing that Cagneys (which lucky I did already) is saying not available.

And nothing on thermal Spa is coming up as well.

For the people who thought Priscilla was too outré.... shhhh, don't tell them what Kinky Boots is about 🤣

I loved Priscilla, seen it 3x (mix of land & sea.)  Loved Kinky Boots & looking forward to seeing the NCL version!! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, trivimp said:

For the people who thought Priscilla was too outré.... shhhh, don't tell them what Kinky Boots is about 🤣

I loved Priscilla, seen it 3x (mix of land & sea.)  Loved Kinky Boots & looking forward to seeing the NCL version!! 

That's what I was thinking 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2