Will NCL pull a "ROYAL" with the Gem and Joy??

mpdog42

1 hour ago, CroozFanatic said:

"there is no operational correlation between Royal and NCL aside from both operating cruises in the Caribbean.

The correlation is that both are making an attempt to restart and prove they can operate safely and get the US opened up. 

The correlation is that operating out of the Caribbean where you need to ship in tons of provisions a week and set up temporary operations to run your cruises. RCCL even has to rent a hotel ballroom in Nassau as their checkin counter, blocks from the port (the forecast calls for rain next Saturday). Let’s see, how many 6 seat golf carts trips it take to move 3000 passengers. 

And they are both now scheduling US cruises (NCL on the same day as their first Jamaica cruise). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

Will RCCL pull a "ROYAL" in Nassau and with Celebrity in St. Maarten?

If these itineraries are available from Florida ports(still speculation), why would anyone book them. And, more to your point, why wouldn't anyone booked on the Joy and the Gem cancel (full refund), and re-book out of Florida, possibly even on NCL?

One of the reasons I booked was to check out the Dominican Republic. I have been wanting to check out the big resort area famous for all the All Inclusive resorts. The pre-cruise hotel is perfect for that. If we aren't impressed, at least we haven't paid for a whole week somewhere. 

I also don't think it will be the logistical nightmare some people are suggesting. The DR is used to provisioning all those resorts, and transporting the guests back and forth.

If cruises start out of Florida, I will book one for next time. Especially since it is still speculation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The correlation is that both are making an attempt to restart and prove they can operate safely and get the US opened up. 

The correlation is that operating out of the Caribbean where you need to ship in tons of provisions a week and set up temporary operations to run your cruises. RCCL even has to rent a hotel ballroom in Nassau as their checkin counter, blocks from the port (the forecast calls for rain next Saturday). Let’s see, how many 6 seat golf carts trips it take to move 3000 passengers. 

And they are both now scheduling US cruises (NCL on the same day as their first Jamaica cruise). 

Not my quote...Graphicguy...and he got four hearts for his post by the objective readership on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

(Raising my hand)…sticking by my comment.

Tons of provisions are shipped into ports all over ports in the Caribbean in support of cruise ships.  Before the shutdown, all the cruise lines docked their ships all over the  Caribbean.   Thousands of passengers disembark and re-embark all over the Caribbean ports.

If you’ve ever watched ships resupply and you aren’t off the ship, it’s a sight to behold.

It’s just over 2 months until the Joy sails out of Jamaica.

Last I heard, both Carnival and Royal are requiring all passengers over 12 YO to be vaccinated.  Don’t know how they can circumvent FL Governor edict they can’t ask for proof of vaccination, either.  Lots of unanswered questions for them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

about 4 years or so ago i was on the Norwegian Breakaway docked in Nassau when they were offloading garbage and other things in dumpers. some ports do have the infrastructure/logistics to handle the cruise operations

4 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

Cat herding

I concur.  

Some of these cruise lines just need to put a stake into the ground and state “this is what we’re doing.  Have a COVID vaccine policy that’s clear in place.  If the CDC, or the state of FL, do or don’t like it, let them tell us.”

I’ve been critical of them in the past because I’ve cruise them so much.  But, give NCL credit, they knew some would not like their policy of 100% vaccine requirement.  They decided 100% was what they were running with coming out of the chute.  FL gave them pushback.  NCL left FL because it was more important to be safe than sorry, regardless of how FL felt.  They made plans to embark from Jamaica.  Problem solved.

The other cruise lines, which I’ve been looking to sail also, have been very non-committal about their policies (until very recently) regarding how they expect to start up in the Caribbean (and now, Alaska).  I still don’t know how Royal and Carnival are going to circumvent their vaccine requirements around FL’s policy of not allowing proof of COVID Vaccine(s).

Virgin Voyages actually mandated 100% vaccinations prior to NCL.

However...now they have this language on their website for US voyages:

Our goal is to ensure that we're providing the safest travel experience, which means requiring vaccinations for both our Crew and Sailors. Our aspiration is that all Crew and Sailors are vaccinated since this is aligned with the recommendation from the CDC for resuming cruise travel.

Before you say, so what same thing, here is the language for their UK sailings in August, also posted in the same FAQ.

Yes, all Sailors must be at least 18 years old and fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

This looks like fudging. NCL could easily do the same thing. 

IIRC, Virgin Cruises are only 18 and up passengers (or "Sailors" as they call them).  .  

NCL's policy is crystal clear and stated up front.  ALL passengers must be 100% vaccinated from COVID.  That allows them to have minor passengers aboard if they've been 100% vaccinated.  Whereas Virgin isn't allowing ANY passengers on board under the age of 18.

I am changing my mind on this one. I thought my Gem cruise out of the DR would be cancelled but looking at NCL bookings today and all the sailings they have listed I am leaning toward no cancellation. It could still happen but I am pretty hopeful that my cruise will be a go.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, saltsandknit said:

I am changing my mind on this one. I thought my Gem cruise out of the DR would be cancelled but looking at NCL bookings today and all the sailings they have listed I am leaning toward no cancellation. It could still happen but I am pretty hopeful that my cruise will be a go.

Just curious, what about "NCL bookings today" and "all the sailings they have listed" changed your mind?

22 hours ago, Seany527 said:

If the same cruise left from Florida I would still keep my cruise from Jamaica. I got an amazing deal for the Haven, staying at a beautiful resort before the cruise and most importantly, I don’t have to deal with any of the CDC bs. 

The prices for theJoy are very good right now, especially if you want to experinece the Haven. We are doing the resort and then jumping on the Joy. CDC be damned!

• Like 3

Not understanding all the naysayers. I just checked on "that" website and see that sales have picked up without a price reduction on the Joy; the Gem is stagnant but the prices are a bit high.

The Sky is a not  as nice as the Joy and I would not trade leaving from Jamaica for leaving from Miami anyway- especially not for a smaller, older ship with substantially fewer amenities. 

Royal's cruises are priced insanely- Galveston on a not - great itinerary has suites priced at double and more for what we are paying on Joy .

if they cancel, they cancel. I'm used to it by now. I have had no issues getting full refunds from NCL but problems with RCL.

I'm 125 days away from sailing- maybe! 

And I'm pretty sure that NCL already has their plans for provisioning, etc in the works.

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just curious, what about "NCL bookings today" and "all the sailings they have listed" changed your mind?

NCL has the Sun sailing Alaska for an interesting cruise in Oct, the Sun is sailing Nov from Orlando, Bliss is doing Alaska then the Mexican Rivera, Breakaway is doing Bermuda from New York in the fall. All of the cruises that I thought the Gem might be moved for already have a ship. I am feeling more confident that it will stay the way they are.

Just now, saltsandknit said:

NCL has the Sun sailing Alaska for an interesting cruise in Oct, the Sun is sailing Nov from Orlando, Bliss is doing Alaska then the Mexican Rivera, Breakaway is doing Bermuda from New York in the fall. All of the cruises that I thought the Gem might be moved for already have a ship. I am feeling more confident that it will stay the way they are.

Thank you for responding. I think I am following your logic now. Your thoughts are that because NcL added so many itineraries there will be no place to move the Gem or Joy so they will stay put? 

That is an Interesting perspective- I hadn’t thought of it that way. I’m not 💯 sure I agree, but I absolutely acknowledge that it is possible. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thought process. 

@forgotmyCCname when I checked “that” sight earlier today I did not notice a significant change in inventory for either the gem or joy. How did you conclude that “sales have picked up” For the joy?

• Like 1

I haven't checked that site for about 12-14 days having been OOT for college graduations. There are fewer available cabins today then when I booked. When I booked the ship was basically wide open. The Gem looks the same with the caveat that I did not as closely observe the Gem as we preferred Joy due to having been on the Gem several times and desiring to try the Joy. 

On another note

Do  you know if what the PCC told me on booking is true- that the first few cruises from Montego Bay and DR will be cruising at 50%capacity?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

I haven't checked that site for about 12-14 days having been OOT for college graduations. There are fewer available cabins today then when I booked. When I booked the ship was basically wide open. The Gem looks the same with the caveat that I did not as closely observe the Gem as we preferred Joy due to having been on the Gem several times and desiring to try the Joy. 

On another note

Do  you know if what the PCC told me on booking is true- that the first few cruises from Montego Bay and DR will be cruising at 50%capacity?

Thank you for replying. I can not confirm or deny that ncl will be sailing at reduced capacity from MB and DR. I wish we knew the percentages they were using to sail because it would be easier to track inventory. I did read that RCl just confirmed Bayonne departures at 50% occupancy, but sailing from the USA are initially subject to test cruises so that maybe why. I do hope the Joy and Gem cruises sail at whatever capacity. 🙂

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@forgotmyCCname when I checked “that” sight earlier today I did not notice a significant change in inventory for either the gem or joy. How did you conclude that “sales have picked up” For the joy?

What’s this site you guys are talking about?  😣

1 minute ago, Seany527 said:

What’s this site you guys are talking about?  😣

we aren’t allowed to say because it’s a TA site. BUT..,, any site that shows you inventory will work. Some are easier to navigate than others, so play around. Typically USA agencies will only show a Max of 15 cabins available per category. So if you see 15 cabins that doesn’t mean you can infer there are only 15 left. Some EU agencies show entire inventory available. Hope that helps 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

On another note

As far as I know yes the early cruises will be 50%. Our PCC said it when we booked. It could change but that is where it is at right now. 

3 hours ago, saltsandknit said:

I meant to say the Sky is sailing from Orlando I can’t edit it so I will put it here. I am now looking a booking a Dec cruise on the bliss for the Mexican Rivera

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thank you for responding. I think I am following your logic now. Your thoughts are that because NcL added so many itineraries there will be no place to move the Gem or Joy so they will stay put? 

That is an Interesting perspective- I hadn’t thought of it that way. I’m not 💯 sure I agree, but I absolutely acknowledge that it is possible. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thought process. 

Yes this is exactly my thoughts I could easily be wrong but NCL is bringing up a lot of ships between July and November. As for the Joy our PCC mentioned the Joy was selling better than the gem. He is usually pretty accurate

I'm pretty confident the Gem and Joy will still sail. While a lot of headway has been made the past few weeks, it will still take a lot to get cruises fully up and running with crew (and crew vaccinations). Focusing on the Gem, Jade, Joy (and Bliss and POA now I guess) will allow NCL to focus on those ships these next few months and then get other ships up and running in September hopefully. 

I have my flights booked into Santo Domingo for September and just need to get a hotel! Unlike Bermuda, the DR and Jamaica are pretty cheap to fly into with reasonable hotels.

• Like 1