Will NCL pull a "ROYAL" with the Gem and Joy??

mpdog42

I do have to say that I feel sorry for Jamaica and DR if NCL does pull out. I am sure that they were excited at the idea of having the revenue from cruisers coming in. I know that they have their resorts, but the money from cruises would have been a nice boost to their economy as well.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The optimist in me says NCL is hopeful that cruises will resume from the US soon and that requiring 100% vaccinations will mean no delays due to test sailings. Thus, no need to start cruises from abroad. They have that gorgeous terminal in Miami so perhaps this is all a good thing. The icing on the cake would be if the "new" cruises cost less. We got a heck of a deal on our Mini Suite so I'd be happy paying the same as right now. I just want to know I'm going somewhere.

I'd love to see an announcement soon with an upbeat headline of "NCL Returns to Miami for Exciting Caribbean Itineraries Starting in August" or something like that.

I'm must have missed something. Did the CDC change their stance to say that the first cruises could be revenue generating? If not, those on the first sailing may go free!! How's that for optimism? 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As of now, our Joy cruise in August does not have the screen of death,,,,, yet.

We really want NCL to commit to operating the cruise or cancel it,,,, so we can rebook elsewhere.

I can tell you that Royal has not committed to their first cruise out of Nassau in 2 1/2 weeks from now. Online checkin has not opened and all of the info on what we need to get on the ship is still “coming soon” (I.e., they missed the 30 day and 21 day notifications). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SSFun said:

I do have to say that I feel sorry for Jamaica and DR if NCL does pull out. I am sure that they were excited at the idea of having the revenue from cruisers coming in. I know that they have their resorts, but the money from cruises would have been a nice boost to their economy as well.

Yes, I feel the same. We had a reservation at an all-inclusive in Punta Cana back in January that we had to cancel, so we were hoping to spend a couple of days there either before or after the cruise. We even had an unused voucher with a local transport company we'd hoped to use to get us from the airport to the cruise port, but I suppose we'll just have to request a refund now. It really is a bummer for local economy, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We really want NCL to commit to operating the cruise or cancel it,,,, so we can rebook elsewhere.

I can tell you that Royal has not committed to their first cruise out of Nassau in 2 1/2 weeks from now. Online checkin has not opened and all of the info on what we need to get on the ship is still “coming soon” (I.e., they missed the 30 day and 21 day notifications). 

The cruise has been removed from the website. 

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, I feel the same. We had a reservation at an all-inclusive in Punta Cana back in January that we had to cancel, so we were hoping to spend a couple of days there either before or after the cruise. We even had an unused voucher with a local transport company we'd hoped to use to get us from the airport to the cruise port, but I suppose we'll just have to request a refund now. It really is a bummer for local economy, in my opinion.

I reeived a call from NCL trying to sell me a Sky cruise. She said they dont know what Joy; the fact that it no longer appears on thier website as an option for September doesnt seem like a good sign...

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm must have missed something. Did the CDC change their stance to say that the first cruises could be revenue generating? If not, those on the first sailing may go free!! How's that for optimism? 🙂 

Yes, I think it's absolutely wonderful news. Here's one of the articles where I saw it mentioned:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/29/cdc-says-its-committed-to-us-cruise-industry-resuming-operations-by-mid-summer.html

Here's the relevant excerpt:

“If a ship attests that 98% of its crew and 95% of its passengers are fully vaccinated,” the agency said in a letter to the cruise industry released publicly, that ship may skip simulated voyages and move directly to open water sailing.

The only other issue is securing port agreements, but I would imagine NCL is/was already underway with that piece of it.

• Like 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, I think it's absolutely wonderful news. Here's one of the articles where I saw it mentioned:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/29/cdc-says-its-committed-to-us-cruise-industry-resuming-operations-by-mid-summer.html

Here's the relevant excerpt:

“If a ship attests that 98% of its crew and 95% of its passengers are fully vaccinated,” the agency said in a letter to the cruise industry released publicly, that ship may skip simulated voyages and move directly to open water sailing.

The only other issue is securing port agreements, but I would imagine NCL is/was already underway with that piece of it.

Thats right! Thank you for pointing me back in the right direction. Things are so fluid it's hard to keep up. I read that RCL has secured port agreements with both Port Canaveral and Fort Lauderdale, so the path has been paved. PS: the article has a GREAT photo of port Canaveral. 

Royal Caribbean finalized a port agreement with Port Canaveral so it can start test cruises - CRUISES - TRAVEL NEWS (boat-cruises-trips.com)

• Like 1

FWIW my TA thinks it might be that the cruises weren't selling well and are being moved to Florida.

One glimmer of hope I have is that Gem's capacity is much smaller than Joy's, so would presumably be easier to fill, especially if it sails at 50-60% capacity.

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

5 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

The cruise has been removed from the website. 

!!! (sorry, I can't find an emoticon to say what I want to say here)

I've seen this story on other lines.  Let's just say the "fluffy" woman is doing scales.  I'm sorry to those of you who are (probably) about to lose your cruise.  I hope you can find a better sailing somewhere else, some other time.

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Miraculously, Celebrity has allowed check ins for the cruise that starts in 11 days from Sint Maarten. 
At this point I really think it’s going to sail. We were notified today our requirements for when we arrive at the pier for checkin. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

FWIW my TA thinks it might be that the cruises weren't selling well and are being moved to Florida.

One glimmer of hope I have is that Gem's capacity is much smaller than Joy's, so would presumably be easier to fill, especially if it sails at 50-60% capacity.

It appears to me that cruises were not selling well for the Joy and Gem in spite of what the fake news pushers on the CC forum say. I can't tell the exact numbers because I can't get a definitive answer from NCL's about their exact reduced capacity.

Some people have made the claim that NCL is sailing at reduced capacity of 50% but, as is typical,  they can not supply any reference. Quite frankly, I won't believe that number until I see it in writing.

If you use one of the inventory sites to monitor cabin availability (I can't link you direct because they are TA sites) you can also monitor inventory. Keep in mind that anytime there is 15 cabins shown in a category there are likely many more than that available. US websites only show 15 cabins even though the entire category may be vacant. 

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Some people have made the claim that NCL is sailing at reduced capacity of 50% but, as is typical,  they can not supply any reference. Quite frankly, I won't believe that number until I see it in writing.

I am only guessing at the 50% number due to my belief that cruise lines will want to play it safe in the beginning, and also because I understand that the UK sailings are capped at 50% or 1,000 passengers, whichever is lower. I realize this isn't the UK, but I'm going based on the assumption of 50% capacity right out the gate. I could absolutely be wrong about that. I don't have access to any TA sites that give actual bookings and whether they're lower than expected.

3 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Gem prices = dirt

LOL. Depends what you call dirt. 😉 Our Mini Suite was about $860 but they're charging $1300 for the same cabin for the 1st two sailings. That ain't dirt cheap IMHO.

On 5/22/2021 at 3:05 PM, MichiganBound said:

You totally nailed it with your above comments.  It was clear to me from the get-go that these cruises from the DR and Jamaica were disasters waiting to happen.  Folks seem to not understand that a cruise line cannot just up and start cruises on a whim and successfully carry them out from a small foreign port...and with minimal advance notice (planning).  

I had given up on the possibility of cruising in 2021 in January or early February.   I had zero interest in being a guinea pig once cruises started again this year.  Let them iron out all the issues and then I'll return to cruising in 2022. 

There are plenty of non-cruise vacations that can be done by flying/driving somewhere in the meantime.  In 2021, I plan to be gambling, having great meals and seeing some shows in Vegas...and doing some long weekends in NYC.  Also, subject to the border re-opening, I'll be driving from Michigan to Quebec for some great food and european style atmosphere in Montreal.  Also (again subject to the border re-opening) I'll be flying to London for West End Theatre and family visits in the fall in the UK.  All accomplished without having to set foot on a cruise ship in Montego Bay or La Romana.

Good luck to all of you booked on those cruises!!

PS.  Oh yes.  And you won't see me stepping foot in Florida in 2021.  Not one more tourist dollar for Florida until DeSantis cleans up his act and starts governing responsibly.  I encourage others to join me on that.

He is governing responsibly. Florida weather is great. Paradise here!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I am only guessing at the 50% number due to my belief that cruise lines will want to play it safe in the beginning, and also because I understand that the UK sailings are capped at 50% or 1,000 passengers, whichever is lower. I realize this isn't the UK, but I'm going based on the assumption of 50% capacity right out the gate. I could absolutely be wrong about that. I don't have access to any TA sites that give actual bookings and whether they're lower than expected.

I'm not aware of any TA sites which provide actual bookings numbers, but they do show inventory. You can use available inventory to make educated decisions about how well a cruise is selling. I do this all the time when booking last minute. If there is a lot of inventory, I wait to book. 

I'm going to respectfully disagree with your guess that NCL is sailing with 50% occupancy.  We can add this to our friendly bar wager :). 

17 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It appears to me that cruises were not selling well for the Joy and Gem in spite of what the fake news pushers on the CC forum say. I can't tell the exact numbers because I can't get a definitive answer from NCL's about their exact reduced capacity.

If you use one of the inventory sites to monitor cabin availability (I can't link you direct because they are TA sites) you can also monitor inventory. Keep in mind that anytime there is 15 cabins shown in a category there are likely many more than that available. US websites only show 15 cabins even though the entire category may be vacant. 

Put me down for a not responding.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I would be extremely cautious making broad claims such as this. NCL could (and does) change policy with no notice. They could flip back to FCC's, or worse, at any given moment.

I mean sure, and the world could explode next week as well.  There are no guarantees in life.  What I am saying, which is true, is currently NCLs has been refunding your full paid amount in 15 days or less.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here is a source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/04/05/norwegian-cruise-line-require-full-vaccinations-passengers-crew/7089216002/