Will NCL pull a "ROYAL" with the Gem and Joy??

mpdog42

1 minute ago, bones774 said:

Yet all 3 major lines are up in the market today, would've thought RCL take a hit at opening.

I think we accidentally stumbled on the cure for every recession/depression going forward...release a virus.

Used car prices up 10% in the month of April. Makes perfect sense.

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree with your guess that NCL is sailing with 50% occupancy.  We can add this to our friendly bar wager :). 

Haha, OK, you're on, but I now change my prediction to "NCL will sail at some point below 100% capacity." 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just talked to my agent. He said that as of yesterday afternoon, they announced that they were pulling the Joy out of Jamaica. All reservations are frozen, so we have to wait for that to refund (I.e., can’t transfer to Bliss). But, final payment is still a few weeks off, so we can wait for refunds and promos before making final payment. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Just now, BirdTravels said:

I just talked to my agent. He said that has of yesterday afternoon, they announced that they were pulling the Joy out of Jamaica. All reservations are frozen, so we have to wait for that to refund (I.e., can’t transfer to Bliss). But, final payment is still a few weeks off, so we can wait for refunds and promos before making final payment. 

Did he say what was happening to the Joy?

1 minute ago, CroozFanatic said:

I think we accidentally stumbled on the cure for every recession/depression going forward...release a virus.

Used car prices up 10% in the month of April. Makes perfect sense.

Everybody getting free money except the landlords taking a beating

1 minute ago, CroozFanatic said:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alegeeter said:

That's right, I remember Del Rio saying this:

"Norwegian lines will start sailing on July 4 with limited capacity starting at 60% and ramping up by 20% every 30 days."

Who knows if it comes to fruition or not, but it does appear NCL plans to sail at below capacity at the start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

I just talked to my agent. He said that as of yesterday afternoon, they announced that they were pulling the Joy out of Jamaica. All reservations are frozen, so we have to wait for that to refund (I.e., can’t transfer to Bliss). But, final payment is still a few weeks off, so we can wait for refunds and promos before making final payment. 

Figures, we found something the family agreed on for a nice trip..booked 4 cabins...BAM, gone.  Mist...

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I applied an extra cruise next certificate to my sailing around 5pm eastern yesterday. The reservation was still active at that time. 

Did your agent offer any other details?

4 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

Unfortunately, This is not an accurate source to indicate that NCL is starting sailing at 50% reduced capacity for a couple reasons:

1) The reference to the number of passengers was in the content of letter that NCL sent to the CDC. The CDC completely ignored this proposal to begin sailing from NCL. It is my understanding that the proposal isn't even on the table anymore.

2) The article you linked says NCL will start with 60% (not 50%) on July 4th. NCL is not sailing on July 4th because the CDC ignored this request (see number 1).  

• Norwegian lines will start sailing on July 4 with limited capacity starting at 60% and ramping up by 20% every 30 days.

NCL may in fact, start with 60% for 4 sailings, but they have not made any commitment to that figure in writing that I can find.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

That's right, I remember Del Rio saying this:

"Norwegian lines will start sailing on July 4 with limited capacity starting at 60% and ramping up by 20% every 30 days."

Who knows if it comes to fruition or not, but it does appear NCL plans to sail at below capacity at the start.

60% for 30 days is in the language of the proposal that Del Rio made to the CDC to start cruising form the USA on July 4th. The CDC completely ignored the proposal. I do agree that it appears NCL plans to sail below capacity at the start, but there were quite a few posters stating 50% occupancy as fact just yesterday, and I don't buy that figure.  We have a few forum members who like to just make things up as they go along. This is how rumors start. 

30 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I mean sure, and the world could explode next week as well.  There are no guarantees in life.  What I am saying, which is true, is currently NCLs has been refunding your full paid amount in 15 days or less.

I agree. It is true that NCL has been refunding full payment. What I think is a slippery slope is to infer that will continue with such certainty (even telling another poster they have nothing to worry about and then making claims about future time frames...You wrote:   There is nothing to worry about, you will get your money back in 15 days or less "

I don't mean to be personally disrespectful and I apologize if I offended you. However; I do think we should all be more careful about making broad predictions about how things will work in the future and/ or failing to acknowledge that current information as fluid and what we believe to be fact today could very easily change tomorrow. We are still very early in understanding covid as a virus, and we are in the infancy stage in understanding how the virus is going to effect the restarting of the cruise industry.

I'm sorry about your Joy cruise. Sincerely. The rumors must be very disappointing and waiting on final word would really make me anxious. My intent is not to add stress and I'm hoping those on effected sailings are made whole. 

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree. It is true that NCL has been refunding full payment. What I think is a slippery slope is to infer that will continue with such certainty (even telling another poster they have nothing to worry about and then making claims about future time frames...You wrote:   There is nothing to worry about, you will get your money back in 15 days or less "

I don't mean to be personally disrespectful and I apologize if I offended you. However; I do think we should all be more careful about making broad predictions about how things will work in the future and/ or failing to acknowledge that current information as fluid and what we believe to be fact today could very easily change tomorrow. We are still very early in understanding covid as a virus, and we are in the infancy stage in understanding how the virus is going to effect the restarting of the cruise industry.

I'm sorry about your Joy cruise. Sincerely. The rumors must be very disappointing and waiting on final word would really make me anxious. My intent is not to add stress and I'm hoping those on effected sailings are made whole. 

I guess I am just a half glass full type of person.  I did in fact quote a future reference based on how things are going today.  If that is a mistake, then mea culpa.   

All I can tell you is NCL made a statement when they switched that FCCs were bad for their balance sheet so they switched to refunds.  I don't think there would be a shift in that policy as it has nothing to do with the vaccine or the Covid infections directly, but rather a business choice that was better for them going forward.  Again, sorry if what I said could have been taken as any type of guarantee which of course it is not.

• Like 1

Just a thought....good luck trying to fill those August sailings if NCL cancels them and not offer those of us booked the opportunity to keep our cabins/fares?  They'd only have 3 months to do so, regardless of where they embark.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I don't have access to any TA sites that give actual bookings and whether they're lower than expected.

I just ran the numbers on the Gem out of the DR on August 15. This departure is priced the highest which which typically that means it has the most bookings. It does look like NCL blocked off categories to account for lower capacity sailings. 

Remember, anytime there is 15 cabins listed there are likely MANY more available since 15 is the maximum that will show. Even though it's hard to tell what the numbers mean with unknown reduced capacity, I think it's pretty obvious that the Gem is not selling 'briskly' as some forum members have claimed. 

Inside sail away: gty cabins no way to tell exactly

Inside IF: 15 cabins available (Remember 15 is the max that will display)

Inside IB: 15 cabins available

Inside IA: 15 cabins available

Inside I4: 15 cabins available

Oceanview Sail Away: gty cabins

Oceanview OK: 15 cabins available

Oceanview OF: 15 cabins available

Oceanview OB: 15 cabins available

Oceanview OA: 10 cabins available

Oceanview O4: 15 cabins available

Balcony Sail Away: Gty cabin

Balcony BF: 5 cabins available

Balcony BA: 15 cabins available

Balcony B4: 15 cabins available

Sail Away Club Balcony MB: Gty cabins

Sail Away Club Balcony MA: 15 cabins available

Aft facing club balcony M1: Error message

Forward Penthouse SF: One cabin left of four total

Forward Deluxe Penthouse SD: One of Two cabins available

Two bedroom deluxe family suite S4: 5 of 8 available

Haven HF: GTY

Haven H6: 4 of 8 remaining

Haven H4: GTY

Haven H1: 1 of 2 remaining

Anyway, that's how I track inventory. It doesn't tell the whole story, but this method has never disappointed me in terms of using availability as a booking strategy.

Hope this helps someone along the way 🙂

• Like 2

Most folks have to actually plan for extended vacations like a cruise, planning many months in advance frequently.  Other than the cruise savvy folks, like those on CC, I don't think the general public has any plans right now for cruising.  I'm guessing for the non cruise infected folks, they have pretty much written off cruises until they actually see them happening and advertised and them being reminded of cruises.  Will be interesting to see how the load factors on early crises are.    But the Gem I was about to book, no, not now.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just a thought....good luck trying to fill those August sailings if NCL cancels them and not offer those of us booked the opportunity to keep our cabins/fares?  They'd only have 3 months to do so, regardless of where they embark.

You are failing to think this all the way through.

First, all the cruise lines have the same challenge. In fact, the Alaska cruises announced this week have less than 3 months to sell.

Second: Cruises aren't selling "briskly" as you claimed. Inventory remains high. Cruise lines need those of you who were willing to book in advance for these early sailings. I believe they will offer you the opportunity to sail on a moved itinerary because they need the pent up demand folks who took FCC's to carry the industry ball for awhile. I suspect it maybe a long time before Johnny Public books a cruise. 

This is turning into yet another depressing thread, sigh.

However, I am grateful to @BermudaBound2014 for running the numbers. Thanks for doing that research, it's certainly eye-opening. I never knew the business about 15 cabins. I doubt I'm alone in this, but this would mark the 4th cruise we've had cancelled.

In order of cancellation date:

MSC Preziosa April 2020

Diamond Princess April 2021

NCL Joy January 2021 and...

MSC Virtuosa, now Seaview, August 2021 (not canceled yet but in limbo)...

And 5 landbased vacations, all cancelled due to Covid, 3 in Europe, 1 in the US and 1 in the Caribbean.

Feeling very defeated right now...

All vaxxed up and no place to go, LOL. 🤣

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

However, I am grateful to @BermudaBound2014 for running the numbers. Thanks for doing that research, it's certainly eye-opening. I never knew the business about 15 cabins. I doubt I'm alone in this, but this would mark the 4th cruise we've had cancelled.

MSC Preziosa April 2020

And 5 landbased vacations, all cancelled due to Covid, 3 in Europe, 1 in the US and 1 in the Caribbean.

I hear you! My cruise cancellations thus far are as follows:

Bliss B2B March 2020

Ruby Princess Sept 2020

Getaway Jan 2021

Joy May 2021

Emerald Princess Sept 2021

And now a B2B on the Joy for Sept 2021.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

MSC Preziosa April 2020

I wish had better news, but I just ran the numbers for your September 19th sailing on the Gem and they are even more dismal than the August departure. Again, it's hard to tell for certain because we don't know NCL's official reduced capacity, and nothing is concrete yet, but it doesn't look good.

I am truly sorry and have great empathy for everyone who is disappointed today. I am disappointed too and I didn't even have a cruise booked on one of those ships. Most of us knew the Gem/Joy were not guaranteed to sail, but even I thought they had good odds for awhile until I started tracking inventory.

I actually believe that NCL might have left the Joy alone had it been more popular. I would encourage those eager to sail to continue to rebook and get on the sea as quickly as possible. You are the best chance this industry has for survival. What I have said from the onset of Covid Cruise closures is that public perception is the real enemy here. 

I know we are all disappointed now, but the day when cruise ships really do start sailing from the USA is inevitable and closer on the horizon than it's ever been. That day will be glorious!