Hobart cable car.

I love the idea and the organisers of the proposal have obviously worked hard at reducing the impact on both the environment and visually.

I loved the cable car from Kuranda to Cairns and the information points on it gave a better appreciation of the rainforest plus the views of Cairns and surrounds were spectacular. I did a mountain one just outside of San Diego and it was interesting going from normal mild temperatures at the base up into the snow line at the top of the mountain. We made sure we had some winter layers for use at the top.

Sounds great. It's such an amazing experience going from sea level to alpine conditions in such a short distance and the views are wonderful. Having some good restaurants up there will be an added bonus.

25 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

After the one in Italy the other day it has only strengthened my resolve to never set foot on one of these again, was forced to many years ago, hate them and never again.

It couldn’t be anymore scary that the road going up there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sounds great. It's such an amazing experience going from sea level to alpine conditions in such a short distance and the views are wonderful. Having some good restaurants up there will be an added bonus.

It’s a fantastic view of the ship from up there.

I did the mountain bike tour a couple of times.

22 kilometres from the lookout to Macquarie wharf, what a hoot of a time and hardly had to pedal.

12 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It couldn’t be anymore scary that the road going up there.

As an ex-skier, who was used to driving up NZ mountain roads, I didn't find the road scary but twisty-turny as a passenger isn't quite as comfortable.

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s a fantastic view of the ship from up there.

I did the mountain bike tour a couple of times.

22 kilometres from the lookout to Macquarie wharf, what a hoot of a time and hardly had to pedal.

That would have been great fun.

We were big luge addicts in NZ, especially on the Rotorua advanced track. We went to the one in Singapore a couple of times, which was a bit tamer, but still fun. We scared the locals a few times rocketing past them.

One thing I did love about the drive up was passing a garage with a couple of unusual signs. Over one of the bays was a sign proclaming it as the Procrastitorium. I can't remember what the other sign was.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That would have been great fun.

We were big luge addicts in NZ, especially on the Rotorua advanced track. We went to the one in Singapore a couple of times, which was a bit tamer, but still fun. We scared the locals a few times rocketing past them.

Next time in Hobart have a look.

There’s no age limit,as easy or as fast as you want and if you want a break there’s a bus and a trailer that follows.

There was a couple well over 70 ,they had a ball.

https://underdownunder.com.au/tour/mount-wellington-descent/

18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Next time in Hobart have a look.

There’s no age limit,as easy or as fast as you want and if you want a break there’s a bus and a trailer that follows.

There was a couple well over 70 ,they had a ball.

https://underdownunder.com.au/tour/mount-wellington-descent/

It would suit me but Rolf never learnt to ride a bike so I'd have to do it on my own which wouldn't be as much fun.🙁

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It would suit me but Rolf never learnt to ride a bike so I'd have to do it on my own which wouldn't be as much fun.🙁

I did it with my daughter and friends.

My wife doesn’t like bikes ,she said there’s no TV to watch.

43 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

It has to get pass the NIMBY's.

Don’t be so negative.

The way I see it ,

Go to the visitors centre (just near the the ship )and get a all inclusive ticket ,Bus ,cable car .

With your ticket Catch the cable car to the top ,a cupper and a cake at the restaurant on top of mt Wellington while admiring you ship docked at Macquarie wharf.

Then on the way back to the ship you can get a real skin full at the cascade brewery.

14 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Don’t be so negative.

I am not being negative by stating the bleeding oblivious. There is already a group setup against the MWCC, (Mount Wellington Cableway Co). Interestingly, it is also using the same acronym, MWCC (Mountains Without Cable Cars). It has also copied the same webpage layout. This is not the first one, as many former proposals have failed. The first proposed was 130 years ago. Good luck getting this one approved.

15 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I am not being negative by stating the bleeding oblivious. There is already a group setup against the MWCC, (Mount Wellington Cableway Co). Interestingly, it is also using the same acronym, MWCC (Mountains Without Cable Cars). It has also copied the same webpage layout. This is not the first one, as many former proposals have failed. The first proposed was 130 years ago. Good luck getting this one approved.

The Hobart mercury has a couple of stories that’s it is progressing.

Finding the money in these times maybe a different story.

Just think about having tea and scones in the mountain top restaurant and doing a tour of the Cascade brewery on the way back to the ship.

I must be getting old... had to look up NIMBY  ..I thought it was like Bunyip.....lol

I look at it the road is closed often in winter..... a cog railway would be nice.... by a cable way seam easier,  just not to high in the air   but you look at the weather today  2 deg and winds gusting 80+ kph,  not great weather to be suspended from a cable....

Or leave it how it is......

Don

• Like 1

I don't see any mention of how many days a year Hobart would be visible from the top. I've been twice and not seen anything except fog and rain one year (in summer) and another time, snow (Christmas).

As I have family in Hobart, we have been there a number of times and have of course visited Mount Wellington. I remember the first time, in September, there was snow at the summit, but it was a clear day and the view was amazing. We have also attended a wedding on the cliffs above the Derwent just around from Bellerive.  We could see cloud forming over Mt Wellington and by the time we left for the reception, it was raining. 

Leigh

This looks to be an ambitious plan, and I suspect will be popular with tourists and perhaps many locals if it ever gets built. We have a very well known and popular "Sky Ride" Gondola that has been operating on Grouse Mountain since 1966. I went on it once, in 1972 it was so cool. There was a small "Tea" room at the top then, I'm quite sure many things have changed in the last 49 years. I'm sure there was a full on barrage of nimbys back then but it was built and it's probably hard to imagine the mountain without it now.

Having seen the dates on the paperwork this is already at least 3 years in the making and the plan looks in the neighbourhood of 3-5 years in the building after approval. I'm sure it will be a hit in the future, I doubt I will ever see it.

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

This looks to be an ambitious plan, and I suspect will be popular with tourists and perhaps many locals if it ever gets built. We have a very well known and popular "Sky Ride" Gondola that has been operating on Grouse Mountain since 1966. I went on it once, in 1972 it was so cool. There was a small "Tea" room at the top then, I'm quite sure many things have changed in the last 49 years. I'm sure there was a full on barrage of nimbys back then but it was built and it's probably hard to imagine the mountain without it now.

Having seen the dates on the paperwork this is already at least 3 years in the making and the plan looks in the neighbourhood of 3-5 years in the building after approval. I'm sure it will be a hit in the future, I doubt I will ever see it.

While it’s not the Rocky Mountains but it’s a spectacular mountain over looking the second biggest natural harbour in the world.

Very pretty town ,Hobart.

And the do a scallop pie , Lyle  

Edited by Chiliburn