Edge or Reflection?

brovol

Wife and I are well seasoned cruisers (25+), on many lines, but never on X.  About to book Thanksgiving week, and chosing between the Edge or Reflection.  I would like to check out the infinite veranda on the edge, and the ship looks pretty cool, but so does the Reflection, and a balcony cabin would be about $800 less on the Reflection.  We are pretty casual people.  Curious what Celebrity folks have to say about the two ships, and if you prefer one vs the other.  Itineraries are comparable in our mind.

Thoughts?

@brovol

As someone who has sailed on both ships - The Edge is newer and they are getting a premium for that - There are many who love the infinite veranda as well as though that miss the traditional balcony.

I would say the biggest difference in my opinion is when you are at the suite level as the suite experience (lounge / deck / pool) was planned from the start on Edge whereas Reflection does have The Retreat/Michael's Club - it is not the same level / size

Not sure how much this helps but just my 2 cents

I have sailed on both with a TA planned on Reflection for this October (fingers crossed).  I love both ships.  Given the opportunity to sail on Edge again, I would bypass the infinite veranda and head back to a Sunset Verandah, which is a "typical" balcony whereas the IV has been compared to a cabin with a picture window...not a "walk outside and enjoy the sunshine" type of balcony.  I also have the SV booked for the Reflection TA.  

I would have a hard time choosing between the two...but the $800 price difference might be a game changer for me!

Reflection and Edge are both great ships. 
Reflection had been our favorite X ship. We've sailed on her 8 times and have another cruise booked on her for the Fall.

That being said, we have sailed twice on the Edge and have fallen in love with the E-class ships. We have future cruises booked on Edge, Apex and the yet to be built Beyond and can't wait to board them all.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 2

I’m doing the Apex this Thanksgiving and love the E-Class. Did a B2B on Edge in 2019 and loved Her. Very different from the other ships so fun to experience and explore. Enjoyed the Infinite Balcony SRs because it opened the entire SR up to the outside and expanded the SR. We love to have friends over so it makes it even more useful. We don’t sunbathe on our Balcony anyway so not a loss to us. 

Reflection is a great experience also. You have excellent options. 

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reflection was my favorite, but I also like the new E-class; They are quite different, but that's where price is too.  I would choose E-class for my first time, as it is newer with many different venues.  That way, you can see if you like the Infinite Veranda.  Personally, I need to be fully outside on my balcony...Is newness that important, or do you prefer a more classic ship?  Make sure that you check out the cabin reviews before choosing one on either ship.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Twice on Reflection and once on Edge. 

As much as I like the S class ships I would love to be on Edge this July instead of Silhouette.

The atrium Martini bar far exceeds the bar and atrium on the S class ships. The pool and jacuzzis are superior too, but the sunset bar is a little disappointing compared to Reflection and Solstice etc.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

OP, know that the infinite verandah is just a room with a window that opens, not a verandah.

I watched a few videos regarding the infinite veranda. I get what you are saying, but at the same time, as many balcony cabins I have been on, essentially you have a glass balcony rail, with walls separating your veranda from the balconies on each side of you, and most cruise ship balconies are covered completely; so in essence balconies on most cruise ship cabins are little more than room extensions with open air from the top of the handrail to the ceiling. That is essentially what you have with the infinite veranda when the separation wall is closed, right? The advantage of the infinite veranda, at least as far as I can tell, is that it expands the room when you close the window up and have that opaque separation wall open. I think it is a fantastic idea, and can't believe no one else thought of that before.

• Like 2

Yes it expands the room BUT there are downsides..  The bridge controls when it will open or not....not you the passenger.  If one of you wants to sit on the balcony and one inside, well, that can’t happen.  If one gets up early  and wants to sit outside, but the other wants to stay inside and sleep in the dark, that can’t happen either.  And when the window opens, the A/C in the room goes off.  

32 minutes ago, brovol said:

I watched a few videos regarding the infinite veranda. I get what you are saying, but at the same time, as many balcony cabins I have been on, essentially you have a glass balcony rail, with walls separating your veranda from the balconies on each side of you, and most cruise ship balconies are covered completely; so in essence balconies on most cruise ship cabins are little more than room extensions with open air from the top of the handrail to the ceiling. That is essentially what you have with the infinite veranda when the separation wall is closed, right? The advantage of the infinite veranda, at least as far as I can tell, is that it expands the room when you close the window up and have that opaque separation wall open. I think it is a fantastic idea, and can't believe no one else thought of that before.

The Infinite Verandahs are a hot topic, people either love them or hate them.

I really enjoyed your positive perspective.

Imo, the IV cabins seem larger in size due to the light from the window. It's an interesting optical illusion.

3 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Reflection was my favorite, but I also like the new E-class; They are quite different, but that's where price is too.  

I would choose E-class for my first time, as it is newer with many different venues.  That way, you can see if you like the Infinite Veranda.

+ Agree.