Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

53 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Can any recent cruisers advise if you have to book shows or can you just turn up. If you do have to, do you just add to planner once on board?

Also do you have to book gym slots or again just show up ?

Would also be interested in how full Silhouette is now

You can just turn up to the shows - no need to book. We didnt use the gym so I dont know about that.  As a guide when we sailed 14-21st Aug we were told there were 1342 passengers against a capacity of around 2880 with 840 crew 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alpha whiskey said:

Does anyone know how much the 'reduced capacity' is for the rest of the seacations? Just back from a Princess seacation and it was around 40%, give or take.

Should be about the same because they can't increase the crew - around 1300 passengers.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Should be about the same because they can't increase the crew - around 1300 passengers.

I was told on 06/08/21 sailing that there weren’t sufficient crew, for the number of passengers. Our waiters were run off their feet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, upwarduk said:

I was told on 06/08/21 sailing that there weren’t sufficient crew, for the number of passengers. Our waiters were run off their feet. 

We were on the same cruise and spoke to the supervisor of Any Time Dining who said the problem wasn't the numbers but the spacing of the tables. She drafted in a few "extras" from Sushi etc after which the speed improved. Regrettably not being able to share tables means you notice the delays more as normally the conversation around the table distracts you. Must be worse for Solo passengers. The 'non sharing" is rigidly enforced - you can only share with people on your own reservation or with whom your bookings were linked before boarding. No tables of 10 or more - larger groups are split but they can move between their allocated tables on different days.

• Like 1

Regarding access to the gym - we were on 31/7-6/8 cruise and I went to the gym every day. I think there was a notice on the door reserving the right to restrict access (I could be wrong) but that was never needed any of the times I used it (which varied day-to-day). There were only a few people (maximum 6) using the gym when I went and you could walk straight in. Capacity was reduced though but that was never a problem. Every second machine like the treadmills was blocked off and disconnected to maintain social distancing and you were asked to disinfect the machines with wipes before and after use - a common courtesy and no real difference from gym use in pre-covid times. Enjoy your trip

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Can any recent cruisers advise if you have to book shows or can you just turn up. If you do have to, do you just add to planner once on board?

Also do you have to book gym slots or again just show up ?

Would also be interested in how full Silhouette is now

We were told that there are 1500 passengers on the current sailing (I’m on board now) and around 1000 passengers when we were last on board for the 23rd July sailing.

There are seats blocked out in the theatre to aid distancing and when I have been to the evening shows there have been plenty of seats, and we’ve experienced both 7 pm and 9 pm performances.  No booking.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

We were told that there are 1500 passengers on the current sailing (I’m on board now) and around 1000 passengers when we were last on board for the 23rd July sailing.

There are seats blocked out in the theatre to aid distancing and when I have been to the evening shows there have been plenty of seats, and we’ve experienced both 7 pm and 9 pm performances.  No booking.

the numbers called by the port as you left Southampton on 21st where 1383 passengers and 833 crew

• Like 1

7 hours ago, groryjm said:

the numbers called by the port as you left Southampton on 21st where 1383 passengers and 833 crew

That’s interesting.  The figures were given to me by the table allocation person in the MDR who, on being given our room number replied ‘I think you were in the same room a few weeks ago.’  We were!  How do they do that? 😀

4 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

That’s interesting.  The figures were given to me by the table allocation person in the MDR who, on being given our room number replied ‘I think you were in the same room a few weeks ago.’  We were!  How do they do that? 😀

In March 2019 we cruised Celebrity around S America  on Eclipse. As we left we told Olesia in Al Bacio we would see her on Silhouette TA in October. We boarded in Southampton and went straight to Al Bacio. As we sat down Olesia brought me an extra hot skinny latte and apologised to Anita by saying " I couldn't bring yours because you change your drinks and I didn't know if you would want a latte, English breakfast tea or a weak chocolate". It completely freaked out my brother and sister in law who were on their first cruise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

In March 2019 we cruised Celebrity around S America  on Eclipse. As we left we told Olesia in Al Bacio we would see her on Silhouette TA in October. We boarded in Southampton and went straight to Al Bacio. As we sat down Olesia brought me an extra hot skinny latte and apologised to Anita by saying " I couldn't bring yours because you change your drinks and I didn't know if you would want a latte, English breakfast tea or a weak chocolate". It completely freaked out my brother and sister in law who were on their first cruise.

It is that personal touch that makes all the difference. I love it when you head to a bar and they are already pouring your drink. I obviously have a lot in common with your wife...On a Caribbean cruise just before the world went mad we invariably headed for a drink in the sunset bar after dinner and after the first two nights were greeted by the bar man saying “Mr Heineken and Mrs I can’t make my mind up....”.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, chemmo said:

It is that personal touch that makes all the difference. I love it when you head to a bar and they are already pouring your drink. I obviously have a lot in common with your wife...On a Caribbean cruise just before the world went mad we invariably headed for a drink in the sunset bar after dinner and after the first two nights were greeted by the bar man saying “Mr Heineken and Mrs I can’t make my mind up....”.

It's also what's impossible to explain to someone who has never cruised. We have a running joke/story that started in Sydney in 2013 with a girl who was then a member of the entertainment team. She then moved to onboard cruise sales and our paths last crossed in October 2019. On that day as the newest member of the team on Silhouette she had to introduce by telling a story about herself on a ship and she had just finished when we walked in. Sorry the story is too rude to post but on the 2019 sailing we did get around 20 different passengers to sing "we all live in a yellow submarine" as they entered the Future Cruises area. The staff there were in hysterics because whilst they knew the whole story most of the passengers singing didn't. Happy memories.

Just received copies of speciality dining menus from the shoreside concierge. Most restaurants showed the menus we remember but Murano had both the Dover sole and the lobster missing. Is this a menu error or have they taken these off at present as both have some tableside preparation?

Hopefully those of you recently on board can advise...

Would be interested as have just booked an evening in Murano. Noted most of the availability was 6.00 & 6.30. We will eat in Luminae all the other nights.

Out of interest does anybody know if the staff onboard are desperate for anything land side we could take onboard. Living in Southampton, and my wife working with the Carnival Med Centres, that they usually really enjoy visiting the shops when in port. Poor b...gers cannot get off. They must be going stir crazy and desperate for some goods.

36 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Just received copies of speciality dining menus from the shoreside concierge. Most restaurants showed the menus we remember but Murano had both the Dover sole and the lobster missing. Is this a menu error or have they taken these off at present as both have some tableside preparation?

Dover sole is DH favourite in Murano hopefully it will return, I won’t tell him it’s unlikely in September. 

50 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We got the same menu's, disappointing but wonder if it is because both have an element of table side prep that current staffing levels cant accommodate?

We are currently booked in twice for Murano.

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

I was onboard 2 weeks ago, and the Dover sole was replaced with flounder. I did have the lobster...delicious. Menu on the app today is showIng flounder and lobster.

1 hour ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Would be interested as have just booked an evening in Murano. Noted most of the availability was 6.00 & 6.30. We will eat in Luminae all the other nights.

Out of interest does anybody know if the staff onboard are desperate for anything land side we could take onboard. Living in Southampton, and my wife working with the Carnival Med Centres, that they usually really enjoy visiting the shops when in port. Poor b...gers cannot get off. They must be going stir crazy and desperate for some goods.

I don’t know about desperate, but speaking to one of the crew, he told me that the crew shop was running short of things like toothpaste and shampoo.  We were in a large Tesco by Greenock port, but I chickened out of buying personal stuff like that (DH uses Tesco’s cheapest of both and it might have appeared a bit insulting to get the same 😁) and will give cash instead - plus a little chocolate.

1 hour ago, EasternMarket said:

I was onboard 2 weeks ago, and the Dover sole was replaced with flounder. I did have the lobster...delicious. Menu on the app today is showIng flounder and lobster.

Thanks for the reply! Was the lobster cooked tableside or simply brought in pre cooked? Not a big deal, we love Murano food anyway but just wanted to know if that extra ‘drama’ that tableside preparation provides is presently being provided. 

2 hours ago, woodards said:

We got the same menu's, disappointing but wonder if it is because both have an element of table side prep that current staffing levels cant accommodate?

We are currently booked in twice for Murano.

Our thoughts exactly...

23 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Thanks for the reply! Was the lobster cooked tableside or simply brought in pre cooked? Not a big deal, we love Murano food anyway but just wanted to know if that extra ‘drama’ that tableside preparation provides is presently being provided. 

Brought in fully cooked, but still wonderful. 

4 minutes ago, EasternMarket said:

Brought in fully cooked, but still wonderful. 

Thanks for that, we thought with present restrictions that could be the case. We do love the tableside preparation but totally understand and support present measures...

Hi

I booked last week for the 18th Sept sailing.

I noticed in today’s Bank Holiday w/e sale the price is £200 less than I paid.

The office was closed,I will ring tomorrow.

Has anybody had a reduction as a result of the Price Promise Guarantee on any Staycruise?

• Like 1

Hi - I’m currently on board, disembarking tomorrow. 🥲

Have dined in Murano twice and the lobster was still being prepared table-side, as was the crepe ballon rouge dessert. Quality and service is every bit as good as I remember. 

Already looking forward to being back on board on 4th September. I was told there are only 400 pax booked for that sailing so there could be some last-minute bargains up for grabs!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 2:54 PM, upwarduk said:

We recently did this excursion. It goes to Cawdor Castle, but NOT to either Inverness or Loch Ness. It took 1 hour to drive there and an hour on the way back. We had 2 hours at the Castle, which I can only describe as similar to NT in England. You were given new hand held audio guides which were developed during lockdown, which were useful, as they helped with social distancing. There was a small cafe there, which we didn’t use, as it was popular and there was nowhere to sit outside when we were there.

BTW, does anyone know the name of the flowers in the last photo?

85463D03-0047-4221-9E77-5B0AACF8333A.jpeg

ADE58EE1-3943-4079-B1FF-4CDA31107EC3.jpeg

3940460D-A287-43FB-B6C7-B8997DE32A0A.jpeg

44DEF12C-F6C5-47AC-899A-18B35DBB60C3.jpeg

ED65B856-3286-45DC-87B3-B50D5F43FDB9.jpeg

I think they’re Summer Hyacinth.