CDC Significantly Relaxes Cruise Rules for Vaccinated Passengers

coffeebean

Sounds like if the cruise lines will just say, "ya ain't getting on this ship unless you're fully vaccinated, and you better have your card to show us" we're about to be back to cruise ship normal!   That thing about designating certain areas, that's a weird one.  Gimme my buffet!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Sounds like if the cruise lines will just say, "ya ain't getting on this ship unless you're fully vaccinated, and you better have your card to show us" we're about to be back to cruise ship normal!   That thing about designating certain areas, that's a weird one.  Gimme my buffet!

I have a theory. That part about designated areas being only accessible to vaccinated passengers and crew is actually a shot at Governor DeSantis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good news for certain, but for me personally....not quite comfortable with the buffet area yet.  Seeing how some people "grab" items and then return them to serving areas when they change their mind, I was always a little put off, now more so.  If we were to be served items from crew members through the line, I'm ok with that.

1 minute ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Good news for certain, but for me personally....not quite comfortable with the buffet area yet.  Seeing how some people "grab" items and then return them to serving areas when they change their mind, I was always a little put off, now more so.  If we were to be served items from crew members through the line, I'm ok with that.

That's not "a covid thing"....that's an always thing.   In addition...according to what they think they know...covid is airborne.  You don't catch it by touching "contaminated areas". 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

My only counterpoints would be that covid19 is generally not spread through food or incidental surface contact (even if not taking into the account that everyone 'should' be vaccinated), and that I doubt NCL is going be able to round up enough staff in the short term for service from each buffet station. 

Actually interested to see how this plays out--I like the buffet because I travel solo and don't like sitting around in restaurants for 90 minutes. 

I do understand that norovirus is real, and that some people are grossed out by buffets. (Or object to them for other reasons, such as waste and gluttony.) But it's not really a covid thing. 

• Like 1

Yes, I understand that covid is spread by airborne transmission; however, I'd kind of hoped that buffets would be changed up a bit anyway after all this.  You might not catch covid from the buffet, but sure can end up with something else, like norovirus, for one.  I understand a lot of folks like eating at the buffets, we have several times as well, but I try to avoid the areas (like the salad bar) where people tend to touch a lot of items and are in close proximity to each other.  

To each his own.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

That's not "a covid thing"....that's an always thing.   In addition...according to what they think they know...covid is airborne.  You don't catch it by touching "contaminated areas". 

I have heard that too. In my community, we have Ruby Tuesday and Golden Corral with self serve buffets open. Oversized clear gloves must be used and there are generous sneeze guards in place. I would feel very comfortable with self serve buffets on cruise ships with safe guards in place. 

Edited by coffeebean

I love this “designated vaccine area” idea. NCL cannot verify your COVID status prior to boarding in FL, but oh you want to go to the buffet? Thats a vaccination only area. Swimming pool? Let’s see the card.

It’ll be interesting to see how far they take this. Maybe they say you can board without proof but it’s needed if you want to leave your cabin.

5 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

How about someone is choking in front of you on the ship...will you render aid only if you can be assured that he or she is vaccinated? 

It sounds more and more like medical apartheid, if there's such a thing....

Wow. That was an impressive leap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

How about someone is choking in front of you on the ship...will you render aid only if you can be assured that he or she is vaccinated? 

Come on!   That's a little far fetched in any way as to what was implied.  Of course guests and crew would be happy to help a medically ill person.  You know that!  Social restrictions based on vaccination status, medical apartheid...or any apartheid????   Did you not get your vaccinations?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Personally, I have never been a fan of the big buffet. Not because of the food but because if the people. It always seems like Black Friday at a department store...chaos and people fighting to get in the right position..table..etc.  I will go for a late night snack but that is it.

2 hours ago, JamesIowa said:

I love this “designated vaccine area” idea. NCL cannot verify your COVID status prior to boarding in FL, but oh you want to go to the buffet? Thats a vaccination only area. Swimming pool? Let’s see the card.

It’ll be interesting to see how far they take this. Maybe they say you can board without proof but it’s needed if you want to leave your cabin.

Those who show proof of vaccination wear a green wrist band and those who do not have proof of vaccination wear a red band. No band? Same as a red wrist band until you can show proof of vaccination and get another band at customer service desk..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, winterbliss said:

This is just one more reason to have 100% vaccinated passengers and crew on board. There would be no hesitation at all. Having said that, anyone who truly trusts their vaccine, will render first aide to anyone in distress I would imagine.

Edited by coffeebean

17 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

Now folks are back to debating whether or not the Buffet is a good dining option.  Things are DEFINITELY looking more normal.  🤣

The way many people dream about "unlimited drinks" with the drink package, I'm dreaming about unlimited ice cream with toppings!

Yes...things are definitely looking more normal.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, winterbliss said:

Medical segregation is happening, obviously. I choose not to get this particular Vax if that's what you're asking.

I can only imagine how the people who have had covid and are choosing not to get this Vax must be feeling. So are we going to believe that their experience was for nothing immunologically and ban them from the ships or anywhere else for that matter?

Recently read this... lady who takes yoga lessons received email that stated 'great news, we will be offering classes for vaccinated only clients'. She wrote back and said 'I am fully vaccinated but I am cancelling my membership. I would no more attend a vaccinated only class than I would a whites only class.' Gives me hope for humanity!

IMHO, anti-vaxers should be segregated....at sea and on-land.  I have no problem with that.  If you choose not to be part of the solution, I would rather not be around you.  Who knows what other common sense measures you choose not to follow in your life.  I would rather not have anything to do with folks like that.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, MichiganBound said:

IMHO, anti-vaxers should be segregated....at sea and on-land.  I have no problem with that.  If you choose not to be part of the solution, I would rather not be around you.  Who knows what other common sense measures you choose not to follow in your life.  I would rather not have anything to do with folks like that.

I'm vaccinated and disgusted by comments like this.

Are there other groups you're happy to segregate?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MichiganBound said:

I'm vaccinated  But I don't think you can tell people they have to vaccinate.  People are allowed to make choices for their body.  
I vaccinated because I felt for myself, it would be best.   But I don't think my choice is the best choice for other people.  And I don't believe that people, who choose for many reasons not to get vaccinated, should be shunned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Until we are completely through with Covid the only common sense way for cruise lines to resume safe cruising is for both employees and cruisers to be fully vaccinated.  No exceptions.  If you do not want to get the shots wait till the pandemic is over.   

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MaryZ said:

I'm vaccinated  But I don't think you can tell people they have to vaccinate.  People are allowed to make choices for their body.  
I vaccinated because I felt for myself, it would be best.   But I don't think my choice is the best choice for other people.  And I don't believe that people, who choose for many reasons not to get vaccinated, should be shunned.

Yeah that persons view is the extreme.  I mean some people can't even get vaccinated because of medical reasons.  What are these people lepers?  I do believe the cruise lines should provide choice and allow cruisers to choose the vaccinated vs unvaccinated cruising.  That way people can pick what they want.  It seems like some cruise lines will have the unvaccinated cruising.  As long as Florida law doesn't impact anything which I don't think it will,  I believe everyone will be happy picking what they want to do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1