Jet lag

Jet lag varies so much from person to person.

Rge biggest issue for me is not the time change but lack of sleep. Others get affected by the time change.

Whatever the trip, I am generally all sort after a good sleep, so a full day between arriving and getting on with the holiday is enough. Others still have problems a few days later.

A couple of days should be fine for most people.

after a day or so, and a nap on board before the muster drill and leaving the dock, i'm usually good tp go. we're in l.a. and if we're sailing from a foreign country, we usually leave about 3 days prior to sailing, not to avoid jet lag, but to see some of the country

When I did flights eastbound or westbound of 10-12 hours, I found I was fine the first day in the new location, but the second day it hit me hard.  Example was ATL to Tel Aviv.  Arrived Saturday evening and Sunday I was fine, even after working a ten hour day.  Monday, I was a walking zombie.  I did sleep very well on the flight (layflat seat in FC), but it still hit me hard.  Did this multiple times, same result.

4 hours ago, Swindonrangers said:

Flying from Dublin to Bangkok pre cruise how many nights before cruise do people reccomend to get over jet lag so we can enjoy 9 day cruise.

Any help appreciated 

I am an American living in Germany that often fly's back home (Seattle, WA -9hrs).  When I am flying from Seattle to Frankfurt, the best thing I can do is get on Frankfurt time BEFORE I depart Seattle.  I usually start 2 days before departure.  I change my watch and try to cut down the time difference on sleep and meals.  On the day of departure I consider myself on my destination time, so when its time to eat, I eat, when its time to sleep I sleep, when its time to wake up, I wake, no matter what the local time may be.  When you land, be on your destination time, no matter what.  For me, flights typically land in the morning in Frankfurt (during my departure bedtime), so I stay up til at least 8pm.  Its a struggle sometimes, but by the next morning I am good.  I hate to say it, but flying business class really helps.  Also, the conditioned air on airplanes dehydrates you and that affects your sleep (if you need to).  Lay off the booze and drink water.  Don't wear constricting cloths or shoes.  Bring a pair Crocs or something not constricting and wear those on the plane.  I only have problems eastbound (US to Europe).  For a 6hr time difference (like yours), I would show up the day before.  If you got the time, do 2 days, that way you'll be squared away.

#1 tip:  Get on destination time before you depart, and stay on destination time when you arrive.  No sleeping during the day.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Try and arrive as late local time as possible stay awake at all costs - hotel swimming pool helps - go to bed at your normal time so if you normally go to bed at 10.30pm that is the local time you go to bed...wake up next day and you are good to go.

Coming back a whole new story but who cares you had a great holiday!

I can tell you about me.  ~12 hrs difference I find easy to adjust to quickly by just not sleeping on the journey.  So when it's finally night time, preferrably on arrival, I can sleep regardless.

6 hrs eastbound is the worst.

35 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

What's the point of that? Free booze is 1/2 the reason I travel, *hiccup*

😆

🍸 Normally I agree, but if you have to hit the ground running upon arrival...it will make it more difficult.

3 minutes ago, WarfRatWA said:

🍸 Normally I agree, but if you have to hit the ground running upon arrival...it will make it more difficult.

What I do on transatlantic flights is have 1-2 cocktails and a glass of wine with dinner, then sleep for about 5 hours. My rule is to start the day off in Germany at 7:30 am (or whenever we land) and push on through the day until my normal bedtime. Always works! And I feel great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Catchum said:

Try and arrive as late local time as possible stay awake at all costs - hotel swimming pool helps - go to bed at your normal time so if you normally go to bed at 10.30pm that is the local time you go to bed...wake up next day and you are good to go.

Coming back a whole new story but who cares you had a great holiday!

Exactly what I do, stay awake at all costs, lots of booze, lots of movies bed at 11pm at hotel, good long sleep and all back to normal in the morning, just like nothing happened.

• Like 1

As a person who frequently travel transatlantic for business, I would say that the key is as mentioned earlier in the thread, close the gap to the the destination time zone before the trip. When leaving the central USA to Europe, I have to adjust 7 hours. I do that by time shifting my sleep pattern 3 or 4 hours on the couple of days prior to the travel day. I book flights overnight (often first class which I think is worth the extra cost on the outbound portion of a vacation so you do not lose precious time on vacation as a walking zombie - less important on the way home). Ideally a flight that leaves so that I can go to bed 3 to 4 hours earlier than my normal USA bedtime and I try to sleep all the way through. No long dinner and no breakfast - just sleep. When I do that I arrive mostly awake and then you power through the first day staying up until the normal bedtime there. If you do that, you will likely have very little jet lag and can fly out the day before (or to be safe two days in case of flight issues) before the boat sails.

• Thanks 1

Science claims that it takes your circadian rhythm 1 day per hour of time difference to adjust to the time change.   Like others, we always begin changing our bedtime and wake up about two weeks prior.  We have to tell our friends, so they don’t call us after 6 pm, which may well be our adjusted bedtime, then set the alarm to rise at the butt crack of dawn.   Works pretty well.  Lots of excellent advise.   BTW, the rational for no alcohol on the plane is that it interferes with your REM phase sleep and you will be less rested..  sweet dreams!

On 6/3/2021 at 10:43 AM, WarfRatWA said:

#1 tip:  Get on destination time before you depart, and stay on destination time when you arrive.  No sleeping during the day.

Yes!  this is what we do as well, coming from the States to either Asia or Europe.  We start about 5 days before departure to change our daily time maybe 2-3 hours each day.  Works great, even though the days leading up to vacation are a little different than normal.  But totally worth it to be able to enjoy the location of your trip.  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 11:43 AM, WarfRatWA said:

This is what works best for me.  In addition to the no sleeping during the day, I try to plan an activity that will keep me outdoors, or at least, keep me moving.  Hard to get sleepy when you're on your feet. I also use quick acting melatonin to help me get to sleep the first couple of nights in a new time zone.

• Thanks 1