Richard Fain, RCG CEO, discusses vaccination strategies during restart of cruising

Just now, Jimbo said:

Going to end up being a real S$$t Show at check-in...........This won't fly. Who came up with this stupid idea?

They are going to need heavy security at check-in. It will get ugly for sure.

Not sure about that.  Even if you get on board the cruise will be more expensive for people who did not volunteer their vaccination information.  The deterrence is there, I am sure when you book the ticket the wording will be very clear on what will happen.  They will have a line specifically for them since they have to take tests etc.  Much easier to control.  If they get out of hand that's what law enforcement are for.  As I said once the 5% is reached they just close the line down.  That's it, the ship is full, not taking more passengers.   

7 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Maybe a few times but word will get out and others won't waste their time. It naturally works itself out and is quite brilliant IMO. 

Evidently you haven't been to enough check-in for boarding a cruiseship. No one there ever learns.

9 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Maybe a few times but word will get out and others won't waste their time. It naturally works itself out and is quite brilliant IMO. 

But who really wants to be a part of the first few times with the possibility of a s$$t show?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

No they don't ask for proof.  You have to voluntarily upload the images.  If you don't you are considered unvaccinated.  You will still be let on the ship if their 95% threshold has not been met because that is a threshold they have to meet to sail.  There is no asking.  They are don't care if you are vaccinated are not.  They only care about the threshold.  Has nothing to do with the FL law at all.  That is a requirement to sail the ship.

Ridiculous!  HOW do they know they have or have not met the base 95% certified vaccinated passenger cohort before sailing?  They just count up all the people who “voluntarily” uploaded there data prior to cruise day  and then determine how many unvaccinated they can let on at boarding?  As others have said. What a $$## show.  Is this what they really want?  Sounds like it might be what the state wants. 🙄

10 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

Not sure about that.  Even if you get on board the cruise will be more expensive for people who did not volunteer their vaccination information.  The deterrence is there, I am sure when you book the ticket the wording will be very clear on what will happen.  They will have a line specifically for them since they have to take tests etc.  Much easier to control.  If they get out of hand that's what law enforcement are for.  As I said once the 5% is reached they just close the line down.  That's it, the ship is full, not taking more passengers.   

Law enforcement?  Really?  Ooof. The media is going to have a field day!

I mean really, RCCL has all this time to think about what to do and this is what they come up with. What do they do all day, drink coffee and eat donuts?

Wake me up when it's over please. This is weak !

I have a real problem with what he said about having a problem requiring vaccines, given that they chose to cancel their entire summer sailing season out of New Jersey a few days earlier (cancelling my Oasis sailing in the process). The governor there would have been happy to let him require that passengers be vaccinated. Yet they choose to sail out of Florida and Texas instead. Makes not sense to me.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Law enforcement?  Really?  Ooof. The media is going to have a field day!

Yeah so are all the people using their phones and social media.  At the end of the day its basically what they agreed to when they bought the ticket.  Its not like they didn't know.

I think if Royal left it open for rule changes and offered us significant OBC or room upgrades some of us would get the vaccine before heading out to port. That should make some of you quite happy!! Keeping options open with last minute incentives could turn out AMAZING for everyone!

6 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

Yeah so are all the people using their phones and social media.  At the end of the day its basically what they agreed to when they bought the ticket.  Its not like they didn't know.

It’s so unnecessary to even have the cruise lines have to jump through these legal hoops.  And the state’s objections will still likely come through loud and clear. Just wait. 

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I mean really, RCCL has all this time to think about what to do and this is what they come up with. What do they do all day, drink coffee and eat donuts?

Wake me up when it's over please. This is weak !

I think this is Celebrity’s plan, not RCI.  

Edited by harkinmr

Just now, harkinmr said:

It’s so unnecessary to even have the cruise lines have to jump through these legal hoops.  And the state’s objections will still likely come through loud and clear. Just wait. 

I am 100% agreeing with you.  But I guess to satisfy all the requirements this is what the legals at head office have come up with.  I find it kind of genius to be honest.  Now its not whether your vaccinated or not, its whether the criteria is met so the ship can sail.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thenagers said:

Actually I think they are using Tracelets in Singapore. Maybe the unvaccinated  will have to wear them or be fined? They aren’t using  on Adventure ( I don’t think?) but it is a fully vaccinated cruise. 

MSC is using tracelets in UK on fully vaccinated cruises

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

What a convoluted mess to get around a totally unnecessary “ban”.  They still have to certify a 95% vaccinated passenger cohort to the CDC or they’re not going to sail.  So they don’t “require” proof, but if you don’t show up with proof you may not get on the ship.  Anyone wanting to sail unvaccinated hopes that they will arrive in port in time to be among the 5% and take the risk of being turned away. Happy campers!  If they do get on board they are the odd man out, subject to restrictions like some sort of marked leper.  Do they wear an identifier of some type that they are unvaccinated? Meanwhile everyone gets to enjoy the unvaccinated passenger lottery at the port. They obviously have some very creative legal counsel here, but again, what a mess.  So how do they plan on meeting the 95% without some prior knowledge of individual passenger status?  Do they ask online or just hope for the best at the port?  

If you want to sail unvaccinated that's a risk you need to accept. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

If you want to sail unvaccinated that's a risk you need to accept. 

Not concerned about the unvaccinated. It seems completely unnecessary to have to jump through these convoluted legal hoops just to sail a fully vaccinated ship from Florida.  It makes it difficult for the cruise line and for passengers.  However, I do applaud Celebrity for thumbing their nose at the state and saying we gonna do it anyways. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Not concerned about the unvaccinated. It seems completely unnecessary to have to jump through these convoluted legal hoops just to sail a fully vaccinated ship from Florida.  It makes it difficult for the cruise line and for passengers.  However, I do applaud Celebrity for thumbing their nose at the state and saying we gonna do it anyways. 

This has been fun, but I'm tapped out. Would rather waste time on a good lounge thread.

Peace out

• Like 3

On 6/7/2021 at 11:09 PM, Darkingnj said:

Not if you make the un-vaxxer's seapsss bright red...lol

That still won’t work. Not everyone carries a sea pass where it’s visible all the time. I think the best way is for vaxxed to have to wear a bracelet.

23 hours ago, Nanner431 said:

Not at all - I just want answers as to how they are handling medical exemptions. I gave sent my email off to them. I am chiming into conversation to give a different perspective that I don’t see many talk about. Not everyone has the choice on whether they get vaccinated is my point so there has to be some exceptions which as you’ve stated before will be to reach out which we’ve done. Just bringing a different perspective.

Don’t be disappointed if you don’t get the answer you want now since things will most likely have changed by the time you cruise.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:02 PM, Nanner431 said:

And what about the people who medically can not get vaccinated? I haven’t seen much chatter about that. My husband served 27 years and had every vaccine under the sun - he eventually developed GBS from all the vaccine combinations etc and has been told the next vaccine he gets could very well kill based in his last experience which landed him hospitalized for months.

Hope things work out for you and hubby. Thanks for his service. I know you’re Canadian, but still thanks.

23 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

With his medical issues do you really want him on a cruise ship during a pandemic?

That’s what I was thinking. I know he can’t hide from the world, but to get on a ship (which isn’t a necessity) with unvaccinated in a confined space is questionable to me. I personally would wait until there are a lot less cases, but to each their own.

Edited by ReneeFLL

10 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well said. Some of the things I hear should be done to those who don't want to be vaccinated are chillingly reminiscent of stuff I'd expect to see in The Hunger Games. What is wrong with some people?

Social media (of which the cruisecritic boards are a form) is toxic. It brings out the very worst in some people and, depending on the venue, they are then rewarded for their venom with likes and reposts.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nanner431 said:

Interesting information that I have not seen. I guess it will be up to his doctor to advise on it - she will either have to recommend he get it or substantiate her medical exemption as to why not.  I can understand his hesitation from past medical experience knowing that’s what triggered him almost dying. It’s not even recommended he get the flu shot so this is interesting to see. Definitely going to need another discussion with doctor on it.

I would ask her if she has done any research on it lately or is it just something she learned previously before more knowledge was known.

16 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Don’t be disappointed if you don’t get the answer you want now since things will most likely have changed by the time you cruise.

We aren’t booked until February so I’m certainly hoping things will be settled by then but will need to make a decision late fall because of flights and such from Canada. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, easyqueasy said:

Why would your husband even want to get the vaccine if he has bad reactions to vaccines, with possibly the next shot killing him? I think the odds of getting COVID (extremely low and getting lower everyday) and dying from it are so minuscule I would not like the odds of a vaccine. 

He had a reaction to having a lot of vaccines in a very short period of time while in the military. I remember hubby getting a vaccine also while in the military and had a severe reaction. Others did also and it turned out to be a bad batch.

11 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well said. Some of the things I hear should be done to those who don't want to be vaccinated are chillingly reminiscent of stuff I'd expect to see in The Hunger Games. What is wrong with some people?

Some people just don’t understand why others are afraid to get vaccinated. There will be no lynch mobs on board.

• Like 1