Tuxedo on formal night

26 minutes ago, koolZip said:

I salute you for wearing tux on formal night! Don't let anyone talk you out of it! I don't have a tux but I always wear a black suit. And if the ship has a cigar lounge, watch out!

But my friend, let me just urge you to take an hour and learn to hand-tie a bow tie. Your tux deserves it and it really will look so much better and more natural than a pre-tied one. And as the evening winds down and you're enjoying an after-dinner cocktail in the piano lounge, you can undo it and let it casually drape down. I promise you'll find yourself suppressing the urge to throw a surreptitious wink at the waitress. 😁

Watched YouTube and printed instructions. 

It's a challenge.

And yep, having it fall apart when you want is so suave

• Like 4

2 hours ago, retired dude said:

Please dont ask this ? on the carnival threads as you will catch h--- from the proponents that like the ball cap on backwards, the wife beaters, and flip flops...Truly a class act. enjoy your cruise.

I only went on one Carnival cruise (Horizon) and found mostly the opposite. We were surprised at the amount of people dressed up and looking great every evening. 

Tree_skier, do whatever makes you happy. 

• Like 2

My DH bought a very nice tux online from Jo'seph a banks this winter for a fantastic price.  Free alterations at local store were nice too.

Just last week he bought the white shirt with ribbing, french cuffs, button studs and matching cufflinks at Macys, also for a great price and the salesmen threw in a free bow tie that clips on at the back of shirt.  

It will be fun to dress up again!

I say go for it.  Your wife will love you for it!  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, mets07 said:

I only went on one Carnival cruise (Horizon) and found mostly the opposite. We were surprised at the amount of people dressed up and looking great every evening. 

Tree_skier, do whatever makes you happy. 

I bought mine when were sailing Princess and Carnival a lot. Early 90’s 

It still kinda fits😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My DH bought a very nice tux online from Jo'seph a banks this winter for a fantastic price.  Free alterations at local store were nice too.

Just last week he bought the white shirt with ribbing, french cuffs, button studs and matching cufflinks at Macys, also for a great price and the salesmen threw in a free bow tie that clips on at the back of shirt.  

It will be fun to dress up again!

I say go for it.  Your wife will love you for it!  

My original was from Burlington Coat Factory. 

The add ons were probably from Amazon or Overstock.com

My original dinner jacket was donated to Majesty for their loaner program.

The first time I decided not to bring one was on a 3 day MJ cruise. And we got an invite to dine with John Denton. Shane the LA found me a suitable jacket. So next time onboard, I donated the dinner jacket to his library.

Haven't not taken one since. You never know😉

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It's a challenge.

The trick is to make sure the length of the bow tie (they're adjustable) is the same as your neck size. Once I learned how to tie one, I couldn't stop buying them! 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It's a challenge.

I also learned by watching many YouTube videos. The printed instructions did not help that much.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, koolZip said:

The trick is to make sure the length of the bow tie (they're adjustable) is the same as your neck size. Once I learned how to tie one, I couldn't stop buying them! 😄

Covered there, lousy using mirror😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

Also great questions for Mr. Joe while your at his store. 

Well as can be expected just as I was heading out I discovered a plumbing emergency. Shopping trip postponed for wiggling around on my back in the dirt in the crawl space.  A less than stellar day let me tell you.  Tuxedo's will wait to tomorrow. 🙂 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SilkySal said:

When we began cruising (back in the day), a lot of cruisers enjoyed dressing up for formal nights but, sadly, not so much anymore. I really enjoy wearing a long fancy dress and admire the men in tuxes. Years ago, hubby purchased his tux from the Men's Wearhouse; I highly recommend them! They will personally fit you with a great looking tux! Try a few styles and pick the one you like! My guy is wearing his tux in my signature photo. Happy cruising and maybe I'll meet you on day on board! Cheers!

Tom & Sally.jpg

He looks great Sal I hope I can pull it off as well. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gc said:

Hey Dave,

Next time you are in Vancouver head over to

https://www.harryrosen.com/en/shop/tuxedos

I used to hear old Tommy Larcheid on the Canucks radio broadcast doing ads for them.  I don't have a plan to cross back over that border anytime soon but I should check them out when I do finally go back.

5 hours ago, George C said:

had went thru 3 different tuxedos after ten or so years the salt air causes them to shrink

Odd, I've been nowhere near the sea for a long time yet almost all of my clothes seem to have shrunk. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

So I’m leaning towards purchasing a Tuxedo for cruise formal nights for our Alaska cruise on Serenade in August.  Traditionally I have  brought and worn black suit, white shirt and a couple of ties, one for each night. 

So to those who have or have companions who wear or have worn tux’s what recommendations do you have for selecting the right tux. I don’t know how to tie a bow tie, is one that clips the equivalent of a clip on regular tie. Are French cuffs mandatory as part of tuxedo wear? Should I stick with white for the shirt or are there other options that are considered equally formal. So many questions!  

I’m shopping today at Joseph A Banks  but may not buy today. All answers and recommendations welcomed. 

it’s great to be planning again. 

Go for it.  always fun to get dressed up!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

So I’m leaning towards purchasing a Tuxedo for cruise formal nights for our Alaska cruise on Serenade in August.  Traditionally I have  brought and worn black suit, white shirt and a couple of ties, one for each night. 

So to those who have or have companions who wear or have worn tux’s what recommendations do you have for selecting the right tux. I don’t know how to tie a bow tie, is one that clips the equivalent of a clip on regular tie. Are French cuffs mandatory as part of tuxedo wear? Should I stick with white for the shirt or are there other options that are considered equally formal. So many questions!  

I’m shopping today at Joseph A Banks  but may not buy today. All answers and recommendations welcomed. 

it’s great to be planning again. 

My favorite Tux is jeans and a polo, to each his own.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tux up, Mother Tuxers!!!
Never hurt anyone I know. I always pack the tuxedo for Alaska as it’s close and it works well in the cooler climate. Don’t forget the Cummerbund. 

Edited by neverbeenhere
Spats not necessary
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, hancock said:

You won't see may tuxes on the cruise,  Alaska cruises tend to be less formal.  Take your black suit and save the money for excursions.  Tuxes are becoming less popular on cruises.

I agree you see more ball caps than tuxes.

On our last cruise, feels like Lincoln may have been president, back in early 2020, one man rocked a different tux on several nights.  He reminded me of my LIME GREEN tux I work to my prom in the 70’s.  

He had one LIGHT ORANGE tux, I can’t recall the other color(s).

Eddie

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

My original was from Burlington Coat Factory. 

The add ons were probably from Amazon or Overstock.com

My original dinner jacket was donated to Majesty for their loaner program.

The first time I decided not to bring one was on a 3 day MJ cruise. And we got an invite to dine with John Denton. Shane the LA found me a suitable jacket. So next time onboard, I donated the dinner jacket to his library.

Haven't not taken one since. You never know😉

I just looked at Eric's new bow tie and it's one of the adjustable kind not a clip on like I thought.

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

62596855_ScreenShot2021-06-09at5_33_08PM.thumb.png.7668a6612f7d50c6d061a5aa301ea30e.png

I see the joke went over your head. The person you quoted meant as a snark because only about 1% of PAX on any given cruise I've been actually dress up on formal nights.

Edited by coldflame

5 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I did have to upgrade to a larger size pants after a few years of overeating on cruises, but now I am back down to the original size. 😁😁 You may want to factor that in at some point.

I am at my absolute biggest... the only way to go is down. 🙂 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

last cruise, there were no tuxes in our area of the MDR. Probably about 5 gents in suit and tie. A handful in sport coats. Vast majority were in casual close. And a handful in shorts. 

They don’t even call it “formal” night any longer. 

save your money for the cruise. Don’t pay for a tux. 

They do on ours.  At least according to my Royal invoice.  

4 hours ago, mek said:

It really depends on the itinerary in Alaska - some days in port leave late and people are rushing back on the ship with no time to change.

We have two sea days on top of embarkation day. They will be our formal days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,however,Formal Nights are really a thing of the past ,at least on US based cruise ships.Even at weddings it seems to be casual attire.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, soremekun said:

While I do admit it is nice seeing people dressed up on formal night, I think it is a money grab by the cruise line.  Dressed nice?  Well take some pictures.... using our photographers ofcourse!

Folks have always been willing to grab my phone and snap a few pics for us.  

• Like 3