Tuxedo on formal night

6 minutes ago, mek said:

I think some people still like to dress up and that's great if it's what they want to do.

It really depends on the itinerary in Alaska - some days in port leave late and people are rushing back on the ship with no time to change.

I spend money pretty freely on shore excursions in Alaska so I save my money for that.

It's really depends on what is important to each individual.

Yes,however,Formal Nights are really a thing of the past ,at least on US based cruise ships.Even at weddings it seems to be casual attire.

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I know some places that rent tux's also sell their used rentals at a really cheap price. If you don't mind wearing one that is a little used you can save hundreds of dollars.

That's how I acquired mine. I had to rent it for my son's wedding, and since he was getting married 1,000 miles away, I had to pick it up at the tux shop in his town. We had an early flight back home the next morning, so I brought it back (intending to drop it off at the tux shop in our town). When I took it back, I asked the clerk how much it would cost to buy it instead. I saved several hundred $$ for a Pierre Cardin classic tux - including shoes - which I traded at no cost for a style that I liked better. The tuxedo pants on rental tuxes have an adjustable waist, so as I ebb and flow so does the tux. Have worn it on 49 cruises so far, and just had the jacket re-tailored as a double breasted.

• Like 4

Oh great, we’ve come full circle. From “you must dress up because everyone else dresses up” to “you can’t dress up because nobody else is,”

What’s wrong with “dress however you want.” My days of dressing up are long past. But I think it’s great when other people dress up and look fabulous. 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

When we began cruising (back in the day), a lot of cruisers enjoyed dressing up for formal nights but, sadly, not so much anymore. I really enjoy wearing a long fancy dress and admire the men in tuxes. Years ago, hubby purchased his tux from the Men's Wearhouse; I highly recommend them! They will personally fit you with a great looking tux! Try a few styles and pick the one you like! My guy is wearing his tux in my signature photo. Happy cruising and maybe I'll meet you on day on board! Cheers!

Tom & Sally.jpg

👍 wow !  resemble the Duke and Duchess of Kent. 

News and Updates » The Image Architect | James bond tuxedo, James bond  style, Daniel craig

Bond .... James Bond. 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1

we like so many other mature cruisers  dressed formally on formal night  for many years, but we have now toned down to a sport coat and open collar shirt and dress slacks for me and wife wearing beautiful wrap tops with dress slacks or skirts.....The rest of the evenings are silk shirts for me with silk slacks and the same for the better half....Please dont ask this ? on the carnival threads as you will catch h--- from the proponents that like the ball cap on backwards, the wife beaters, and flip flops...Truly a class act. enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Oh great, we’ve come full circle. From “you must dress up because everyone else dresses up” to “you can’t dress up because nobody else is,”

What’s wrong with “dress however you want.” My days of dressing up are long past. But I think it’s great when other people dress up and look fabulous. 

I just wanted to point out that in Alaska it's so tempting to stay out on deck as long as possible and because it stays light out so late for most of the cruising season, it's easy to skip the MDR and do the buffet in order to stay out an watch the scenery and wildlife.

Just me, but I would miss any formal night dinner in order to watch a pod of whales bubble net feed - something that frequently happens,(at least for me),  north of Ketchikan - just around dinner time. on a NB itinerary.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

Guest BigRoger

Its always Tux on 'dress your best' type evenings... has to be Black tux, white shirt, cufflinks but bow tie can be flexible on colour.... love it to see ladies in froncks and gents dressed for the occasion... it is a vacation after all... respect others choice not to for same reason... but for me... don't get to wear it at home so roll on cruising....

Then again as one of our cousins from across the pond once remarked... 'wow those Brits sure like to to dress up......; Too right we do....

4 minutes ago, watson50 said:

we have learned over the years is "Less Dress Equals Less Stress. It's all pretty relaxed now anyways. Have a great cruise.

Ypu may want to check out AIDA cruises. All their ships have a Freikorperkultur deck (google it). 

• Like 1

@Tree_skier

Almost always take a tux, the wife likes it.

French cuffs are a must.

Typically do clip on, but bought some knotted ones recently. If you get the hang of it, it looks awesome.  Especially when you take it off.

And buy a decent set of studs. Nix the cumberbund.

Might consider the dinner jacket as well. Look for ivory shawl collar, not white.

I keep it slightly informal with my ice top siders.

Have fun, stand out

IMG_20160314_191522.thumb.jpg.94bc188afe5cf5a28ddfd9dad5ed011f.jpg

Oh, and get some good pictures

IMG_20160910_085701.jpg.d08275197287c29a8b5e9f1b1d0fd5d6.jpg

And there will be tuxedo opportunities in March 2023😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 7

I love it when people get dressed up on formal nights! My other half doesn’t wear a tux but does wear a suit and it’s a great opportunity for the kids to dress up and have a bit of fun. Each to their own I suppose but I find it a shame when people say it’s a thing of the past and they don’t bother dressing up.
For the other 5 days I’ll be in smart casual for dinner but for those 2 days I’ll make an effort and enjoy doing it! Other cruise lines are more formal so for me RC has it bob on with the dress guidance 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gumpxyz said:

I love it when people get dressed up on formal nights! My other half doesn’t wear a tux but does wear a suit and it’s a great opportunity for the kids to dress up and have a bit of fun. Each to their own I suppose but I find it a shame when people say it’s a thing of the past and they don’t bother dressing up.
For the other 5 days I’ll be in smart casual for dinner but for those 2 days I’ll make an effort and enjoy doing it! Other cruise lines are more formal so for me RC has it bob on with the dress guidance 

We've been in pj's and gym ware daily, the last umpteen months. I want to get out and celebrate

• Like 5

I gave up the tuxedo back in the mid 2000s.  Last time I remember taking it on the cruise was 2005 on the HAL Amsterdam around Cape Horn.  

I agree with John’s points as far as style and looks go.  I think it makes the ladies happy to do it.  So, there are really strong reasons that most here are missing to do it.  🥰

That said, lugging extra luggage is something I am completely against, especially since I have my FlowBoard, and about 4 swimsuits, and 4 or 5 rash guards, and a light wet suit and maybe a medium weight if it is going to be highs below 65 already in an extra over-sized bag.  Not to mention I don’t like paying baggage fees on the stinking plane.  My wife would not complain if I ditched that stuff and went back to the tuxedo.  😂

1DC4B559-A7B2-4F8E-BE19-2581BEB01598.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,however,Formal Nights are really a thing of the past ,at least on US based cruise ships.Even at weddings it seems to be casual attire.

Umm, explain this

20210609_175402.thumb.jpg.c9e3fb40019a3919b22b5e97b95aa332.jpg

It's on every one of my Royal invoices. 😇

• Like 1

I lied in my previous post a picture on our 2007 TA on the Navigator of the Seas just popped up and it was me resplendent in tux and bow tie, French cuffs no cumberbund.  My wife looked spectacular in the picture.  Maybe I have been screwing up since then.....  Nah...🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

last cruise, there were no tuxes in our area of the MDR. Probably about 5 gents in suit and tie. A handful in sport coats. Vast majority were in casual close. And a handful in shorts. 

They don’t even call it “formal” night any longer. 

save your money for the cruise. Don’t pay for a tux. 

And this is a 4 night cruise😉

20210609_175402.thumb.jpg.2d91a075425eb83770a645a2ed535583.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My Son, he’s 28, been to several weddings the last few years, a suit worn to all of them...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I salute you for wearing tux on formal night! Don't let anyone talk you out of it! I don't have a tux but I always wear a black suit. And if the ship has a cigar lounge, watch out!

But my friend, let me just urge you to take an hour and learn to hand-tie a bow tie. Your tux deserves it and it really will look so much better and more natural than a pre-tied one. And as the evening winds down and you're enjoying an after-dinner cocktail in the piano lounge, you can undo it and let it casually drape down. I promise you'll find yourself suppressing the urge to throw a surreptitious wink at the waitress. 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I salute you for wearing tux on formal night! Don't let anyone talk you out of it! I don't have a tux but I always wear a black suit. And if the ship has a cigar lounge, watch out!

But my friend, let me just urge you to take an hour and learn to hand-tie a bow tie. Your tux deserves it and it really will look so much better and more natural than a pre-tied one. And as the evening winds down and you're enjoying an after-dinner cocktail in the piano lounge, you can undo it and let it casually drape down. I promise you'll find yourself suppressing the urge to throw a surreptitious wink at the waitress. 😁