Tuxedo on formal night

8 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

I Hope he post a pic! I’m so sick of the vaccine post!

This picture came to mind when you mentioned your husbands CO tie.

Texas often appears on formal night, and this isn't Galveston

received_1659608594095499.thumb.jpeg.e2d53301fef74b1a738dfe47c7f99390.jpeg

Do you know Barb R?

• Like 4

My husband doesn’t usually bring a tux, but a nice black suit.  If I asked him to bring the tux he would — he looks great in it, and I love it.  And he knows if he is wearing it, I will be wearing something he loves as well.  So I say the person to ask is the woman you want to make smile — if she would love to see you in a tux, go for it

Edited by 3kidsncats
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

I would love to see the tuxes back in style.  Nothing like a man in a tux! 

The man who speaks well, does well. The man who dresses well does even better.

• Like 4

My DH has beautiful dinner jackets- that he wears with either tuxedo pants or dressy pants- he looks great- why not wear what you like- especially now!  When we return to cruising- it will be New Years Eve every chic/formal night!  I know many have gained the Covid 20- so new clothes might be in order!  go for it.

Lets all celebrate!

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 4

@Tree_skier when we sailed to Alaska a few summers ago you might be the most formally dressed there with a tuxedo. Alaska seems to have less formal wear for some reason.  Maybe the long port days allow for less time to get dressed up. 

When given the option for Alaska Floridians bring their parkas VS tuxedos when dealing with luggage restrictions.😉😁

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A female point of view:  Do it!  

My preference:  Classic cut black wool jacket, white pleated shirt, self-tie black bowtie, black leather (not patent leather) shoes.  No vest, no cummerbund.  French cuffs are nice.

I tie my husband's bowtie.  It's tough to do; it must be even harder to do on oneself.  However, if it looks just a bit askew, so much the better.  Practice, practice.

DH has worn his on every cruise we've done.  Can't wait to have those evenings on a ship again!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

This picture came to mind when you mentioned your husbands CO tie.

Texas often appears on formal night, and this isn't Galveston

received_1659608594095499.thumb.jpeg.e2d53301fef74b1a738dfe47c7f99390.jpeg

Do you know Barb R?

No, do not know them. However, i love his bowtie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Tree_skier when we sailed to Alaska a few summers ago you might be the most formally dressed there with a tuxedo. Alaska seems to have less formal wear for some reason.  Maybe the long port days allow for less time to get dressed up. 

When given the option for Alaska Floridians bring their parkas VS tuxedos when dealing with luggage restrictions.😉😁

Funny, this was on our Explorer “Alaska” cruise 4 years ago! 

6BCD680B-BB4D-41CB-A55B-51E4676C4E7F.jpeg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

@Tree_skier

Almost always take a tux, the wife likes it.

French cuffs are a must.

Typically do clip on, but bought some knotted ones recently. If you get the hang of it, it looks awesome.  Especially when you take it off.

And buy a decent set of studs. Nix the cumberbund.

Might consider the dinner jacket as well. Look for ivory shawl collar, not white.

I keep it slightly informal with my ice top siders.

Have fun, stand out

IMG_20160314_191522.thumb.jpg.94bc188afe5cf5a28ddfd9dad5ed011f.jpg

Oh, and get some good pictures

IMG_20160910_085701.jpg.d08275197287c29a8b5e9f1b1d0fd5d6.jpg

And there will be tuxedo opportunities in March 2023😉

You look sharp John.  I'm not sure that I can pull off the white jacket with my pale complexion but I'm going to at least try one on.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

It's an Alaskan cruise. Wear an Alaskan Tuxedo. They are just like the Canadian tux except the denim  jacket is fur lined.  😉

In my teen years I lived in my lived in my jean jacket lined with a "Mac jacket". The true Canadian tuxedo. 🙂 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, koolZip said:

But my friend, let me just urge you to take an hour and learn to hand-tie a bow tie.

I've committed to it... I found a couple YouTube videos that I expect to be my school master.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I didn't realize Yogi had a sense of humor. Thnx

And I'd challenge that number, but you must cruise more than little old me

I would challenge it as well.  Every cruise I have been on has loads of men with a minimum of jacket and tie on formal night.  

I just think it is going to be nice to "up the game" a little, especially on our first cruise out this year.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

@Tree_skier

Almost always take a tux, the wife likes it.

French cuffs are a must.

Typically do clip on, but bought some knotted ones recently. If you get the hang of it, it looks awesome.  Especially when you take it off.

Did anyone else hear the music after that comment or was it just me?🙄

Not sorry.😉

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

Funny, this was on our Explorer “Alaska” cruise 4 years ago! 

That’s great that you took tuxedos and gowns.

We did not and we didn’t see anyone in them. On our three Alaskan sailings from 2004 our last one was the least formal from the attire we saw. Perhaps it was because ours was a south bound one way and individuals didn’t want to take the extra attire on precruise adventures. Some will dress up and others not. Kudos to those that do. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I wore a suit for 38 years when I was employed.Many people who cruise had or have jobs where they do not have to wear a suit and like to dress nice on a cruise.When I retired I also retired my suit except for several cruises.

Sometimes I wear a suit to work, sometimes people would describe my work clothes as "looking like I'm homeless". It can range anywhere in between. Depends on what I'm doing.

Certain dining times are moments of celebration for us. Our dress and dining experience on board a cruise on formal nights is one of those times.  It is meant to be more than just eating food.  For us it's a time to celebrate all the good that life has provided.  That I am able to live the life I do and have the experiences I have is a truly miraculous thing.  I am so ever grateful.  Everyday, through my work, I see the tragedy that my life could have ended being. 

I understand that for many people that they are on vacation and can't be bothered to dress in any particular way.  I acknowledge that packing suits and fancy dress is a cost and inconvenience.  However, for me, this is one of the ways that I honor all that I have been privileged to live.  

These comments might seem a little hyperbolic for a formal dress thread and for that I apologize, but if you knew the rest of my story you'd understand each day is a gift I didn't deserve. I'm going to hallow each one of them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DWhit said:

Some things I would recommend.  

These are my suggestions - take them or leave them as you see fit, as I am no expert.

No clip on ties, learn to tie a bow tie, its like tieing your shoes, but around your neck.  A good way to practice is to tie it around your leg just below the knee.  Ties should be black most everytime, sometimes you can use a darker burgandy colored tie, combined with the same color cummerbund and maybe pocket square.  Don't use any other colors (like red, yellow, etc.)

Always make sure to get a good 100% wool tux.  I would start with a black tuxedo, pants and coat.  Later you can add a white colored jacket if you want, especially for more tropical areas.  I own a notch lapel jacket, but you really should use a peak lapel or shawl lapel to meet more formal dress codes.   One button jacket is what I would recommend.  I have gotten at reasonable prices online, but regardless of where you buy, you need to go to a tailor to get the tux  fitted to you.  My main black pair of pants have an adjustable waistband  which has come in handy throughout the years.  I use white suspenders, or burgundy. 

Don't use a high button vest, instead use a cummerbund, or a vest that's cut very low.   Sometimes, I do not use either, but you may find you need an extra shirt stud so that you do not have a regular shirt button showing if you open your jacket.

Some people have formal patent leather shoes, but I just use my black cap toes shined up nicely.

I like to add a white pocket square some times.

If I wear a tux, I try my best to always leave the jacket on most all of the evening.  No use dressing up in a tux if you pull the jacket off from the get go.

Thank you, excellent comments.