Exciting news for Canadian Travellers

2 hours ago, lostinparadise999 said:

The latest survey on CTV News says that 1 in 5  vaccine-hesitant Canadians would lie about jab to travel.

This is the website: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/survey-reveals-one-in-five-vaccine-hesitant-canadians-would-lie-about-jab-to-travel-1.5472179

Boy, does that scare me without a secure method of providing vaccination status!

Me too.  I used to think if we had our picture on our vaccination certificate, it might stop the use of fakes.  But if they can get a fake travel passport, then they could get a vaccination certificate with a picture the same way.  We have laminated our little hand written one but it really does not look very "official".  I will ask my Dr tomorrow if there is a registry I can access to get something official printed out.

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

Me too.  I used to think if we had our picture on our vaccination certificate, it might stop the use of fakes.  But if they can get a fake travel passport, then they could get a vaccination certificate with a picture the same way.  We have laminated our little hand written one but it really does not look very "official".  I will ask my Dr tomorrow if there is a registry I can access to get something official printed out.

If you're in BC (looks like you are), you can register for a BC Services Card (app on your smart phone), then login to Health Gateway from there. A digital version of your vaccination card is available there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

@middlehaitch posted the following in late April. Maybe the information will be of some help:

2 hours ago, burnabyjean said:

If you're in BC (looks like you are), you can register for a BC Services Card (app on your smart phone), then login to Health Gateway from there. A digital version of your vaccination card is available there.

Thanks burnabyjean.  I don't have a cell phone.

18 minutes ago, Magicat said:

I'm not sure that "interesting" is what I would call it. It is very scary, since I had AZ.

The US perhaps hasn't approved AZ for 2 main reasons, the side effects and the fact that they didn't need it. However, I don't think that they have disagreed with its efficacy, which should be what matters for travel.

• Like 1

I hope that doesn't impact travel, it isn't just Canadians of course, it was used a lot in the UK as well. And it's what I have gotten. I'd also worry about Canadians with mixing vaccines, will that be ok? I was going to be getting Moderna for my second dose but managed to get an earlier appointment for AZ so will have both doses of that, but if it's not one worry, it's another!

Hopefully there will be some sort of guidance, perhaps approval based on WHO guidelines? or your countries approvals? Or if we get a "you're vaccinated!" passport of some sort it will just say "two doses" and not give details? Who knows... but I hope this doesn't make it harder to travel. I got my AZ to do my part, I hate to think it'll result in me being punished for that now and not able to travel like others.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

I hope that doesn't impact travel, it isn't just Canadians of course, it was used a lot in the UK as well. And it's what I have gotten. I'd also worry about Canadians with mixing vaccines, will that be ok? I was going to be getting Moderna for my second dose but managed to get an earlier appointment for AZ so will have both doses of that, but if it's not one worry, it's another!

Hopefully there will be some sort of guidance, perhaps approval based on WHO guidelines? or your countries approvals? Or if we get a "you're vaccinated!" passport of some sort it will just say "two doses" and not give details? Who knows... but I hope this doesn't make it harder to travel. I got my AZ to do my part, I hate to think it'll result in me being punished for that now and not able to travel like others.

The big question is really will the U.S. allow fully vaccinated AZ travellers even enter the country. If they do, local restrictions like this one will likely go by the wayside. Maybe not right away, as Springsteen on Broadway concerts will likely be sold out to domestic audiences for the foreseeable future. But when the shows start to not be sold out, you can bet your booty that the bean counters for Bruce will be looking to find a way to sell those empty seats to any fully vaccinated paying customer.  💲 talks!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Magicat said:

I just read the new guidelines from Princess Cruises and they indicate that acceptable vaccines are the ones approved by the US CDC (which, of course, does not include AZ) or WHO approved vaccines (which DOES include AZ). I'm sure other cruise lines will have similar guidelines, as Canadian and UK guests are a significant part of their market.

• Like 1

Hot off the press...News article 

As the travel industry pushes the government to ease travel restrictions, the federal government plans to roll out next month the first phase of its vaccine certification program for travellers entering the country, CBC News has confirmed.

Starting in early July, a new feature on the ArriveCan app will go live, according to a federal government source with direct knowledge.

The app will allow travellers to take a photo or upload a snapshot of their vaccine documentation into the app before going through customs, the source said. CBC is not identifying the source, who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter

The information stays in the app and isn't transferred elsewhere — an effort to address privacy concerns.

The update to the app paves the way for the government to start easing restrictions on international travel in stages. Earlier this month, the federal government saidfully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents crossing the border into Canada will soon no longer be required to stay at a hotel for part of their quarantine period.

The prime minister met with premiers from across the country Thursday evening. Most of the discussion focused on the next steps to re-open the border, according to a senior government source. The talk was constructive and all the premiers agreed that being fully vaccinated was the key, the source said.

In the spring, Health Minister Patty Hajdu told reporters that the topic of vaccine certification had come up in a meeting between G7 health ministers. Since then, discussions with allies have continued on the idea of a passport or certification that would allow citizens of one country to prove to border officials in another country that they are fully vaccinated or have tested negative for the virus.

Buy-in from provinces needed

Several government departments are also working on the second phase of proof-of-vaccination documentation, the source said. That digital project will employ the same technology used for Canada's e-passports, the source said.

9 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

The big question is really will the U.S. allow fully vaccinated AZ travellers even enter the country. If they do, local restrictions like this one will likely go by the wayside. Maybe not right away, as Springsteen on Broadway concerts will likely be sold out to domestic audiences for the foreseeable future. But when the shows start to not be sold out, you can bet your booty that the bean counters for Bruce will be looking to find a way to sell those empty seats to any fully vaccinated paying customer.  💲 talks!

I really don't think that will ever be an issue, given the international acceptance of AZ, even if it hasn't yet been approved for use in the US. From existing reporting, this hiccup on Broadway appears to be the result of an interpretation/misinterpretation of NY State requirements. As the US is anxious to start eliminating border restrictions, not only with Canada but the EU, UK and elsewhere, the last thing that they would want to do at a federal level is refuse to accept travellers from all of these countries who have been vaccinated with AZ.

On 6/18/2021 at 5:28 PM, Fouremco said:

I really don't think that will ever be an issue, given the international acceptance of AZ, even if it hasn't yet been approved for use in the US. From existing reporting, this hiccup on Broadway appears to be the result of an interpretation/misinterpretation of NY State requirements. As the US is anxious to start eliminating border restrictions, not only with Canada but the EU, UK and elsewhere, the last thing that they would want to do at a federal level is refuse to accept travellers from all of these countries who have been vaccinated with AZ.

Can you pick my Loto Max numbers for me too! 😁

'Springsteen on Broadway' clears way for AstraZeneca recipients to attend show"

https://www.cp24.com/news/springsteen-on-broadway-clears-way-for-astrazeneca-recipients-to-attend-show-1.5477554

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Can you pick my Loto Max numbers for me too! 😁

'Springsteen on Broadway' clears way for AstraZeneca recipients to attend show"

https://www.cp24.com/news/springsteen-on-broadway-clears-way-for-astrazeneca-recipients-to-attend-show-1.5477554

LOL. My last lottery win was with Jean Drapeau's Lotto Quebec in 1968, before it was closed down by the Supreme Court. 🤣

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if  all cruise lines returning to US ports will continue to provide pre arrival testing for all passengers, especially as passenger numbers increse.  I suspect the Canadian Government will continue to require a negative PCR test, even if fully vaccinated,if arriving by air for a long time to come.  If that is the case, any thoughts on how to ensure you are tested if planning on flying same day as disembarking in Florida?  Hopefully, by later this year or next winter, proof of vaccination will be sufficient, but I would not count on it.

5 hours ago, netpj said:

I wonder if  all cruise lines returning to US ports will continue to provide pre arrival testing for all passengers, especially as passenger numbers increse.  I suspect the Canadian Government will continue to require a negative PCR test, even if fully vaccinated,if arriving by air for a long time to come.  If that is the case, any thoughts on how to ensure you are tested if planning on flying same day as disembarking in Florida?  Hopefully, by later this year or next winter, proof of vaccination will be sufficient, but I would not count on it.

PCR test - I was wondering the same thing.  And what are people to do if they don't have a smart phone and are flying into departure city a few days before sailing??

8 hours ago, netpj said:

Our preferred cruise line - Viking Ocean has installed PCR Labs onboard each ship and require a daily spit test. On disembarkation, they provide a certificate showing your test result.

As someone who has recently returned to Canada from abroad, make sure your test will be accepted at the border.  Return via a land crossing, the PCR test MUST be performed in the USA.  Not sure what the rules at the border will be if your flight originated in the US, if they will accept a test if performed in another country or at sea.  Do your research before as the fines for non compliance are steep.