Would you cruise out of Florida if the sailing was allowing more than 5% un-vaccinated?

With cruise ships being the perfect environment for the rapid spread of airborne pathogens (viruses which stay in the air) and with un-vaccinated guests inevitably mixing with everyone onboard, but most importantly mixing with each other; THAT being the main issue - contagions will lead to medical emergencies, medical diverts, curtailed sailings, possible ship wide quarantines for the un-vaccinated, if not for everyone, and unfortunately of course most probably more deaths.

Passing in hallways for example, sharing the same pool/hot tub, sharing a dining table?? (Nope!) just walking along the Royal Promenade, which is an enclosed space, visiting the shops, touching anything which they then put back, sharing elevators (always use a knuckle for the buttons; a good tip given to me years ago.) But who knows?

Unless Fain's latest statement mentioning the "extra processes incurring extra costs, and extra restrictions," and presumably needing to pay vast amounts for 'Royal Caribbean Brand' onboard testing, daily hopefully? Chargeable to their SeaPass account of course."

With all that the un-vaccinated will need to adhere to, I can't see many bothering with a cruise this year and hopefully going somewhere else, or preferably staying home.

Vaccinated guests are not worried about catching the virus - we're immune. What we ARE worried about though, are the un-vaccinated who still decide to cruise, despite all the dangers, extra costs and as yet unknown procedures, and the likelyhood of at least a few medical diverts and quarantines happening in the cruise industry this year.

I may be wrong but I see it as an extremely selfish thing to be doing.

All views welcome.

• Like 23

Further to my original post; if there does happen to be the slightest indication that a ship is suffering an outbreak, or even worse, needing to quarantine all, or some guests, let alone more deaths...

I believe that it will be the end of the industry as we know it.

PLEASE Get Vaccinated.

• Like 26

Is this the Twilight Zone and people are still stuck in 2020? The CDC says it’s unlikely transmission of COVID occurs from touching surfaces. And Royal says their air system filtering and exchanging air every 4 minutes makes transmission unlikely. Did you know just because you have gotten the shots you can still get COVID and test positive, whether catching it before boarding or after? And putting all the unvaccinated in an area together as others have posted on other threads would just make it easier to spread if one did have it. Maybe it is just marketing by Royal because it sounds like they don’t believe their own “science” of filtration and other measures taken. 70% was first considered herd immunity and get on with life,  except on the scary ships it needs to be 95%, and to the vaccinated it needs 100%.  I’ll get on any ship, anywhere that lets me. 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, 3kidsncats said:

I have zero interest in sailing out of Florida for the foreseeable future, regardless of percentage vaccinated.

Have you ever sailed out of Florida?  I have zero interest in sailing out of Comifornia, regardless of percentage vaccinated.

If I am vaxxed, I don't care. If protocols interfere, I will cancel and do something else. Masking, etc. is the only thing that would keep me doing other things.....you might try cutting down on the daily national news media intake.

Edited by L454S
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, L454S said:

If I am vaxxed, I don't care. If protocols interfere, I will cancel and do something else. Masking, etc. is the only thing that would keep me doing other things.....you might try cutting down on the daily national news media intake.

That would be my only concern that if it's not a 95% vaxxed cruise cdc would require masks. Not because I think they do any good. I'd still cruise but rather maskless.

I'd still cruise if I was booked.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, easyqueasy said:

The CDC says it’s unlikely transmission of COVID occurs from touching surfaces. And Royal says their air system filtering and exchanging air every 4 minutes makes transmission unlikely. Did you know just because you have gotten the shots you can still get COVID and test positive.

Yes I did know all of that. "Unlikely" is a rather clever word don't you think? You've used it twice and also quoted the American CDC as saying it. "Unlikely" means that something is possible.

The air exchange every four minutes refers to the staterooms. There's no way an Oasis sized Theatre, Royal Promenade, or Main Dining Room could ever achieve this. They'd need fans the size of cars blowing in filtered air and venting stale air. The wind speed would be such that it would be unpleasant, let alone blowing everything away.

And yes, I did know that even vaccinated people can still get Covid, that's why I find it even more selfish for the un-vaccinated to even be considering a cruise at this time.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, L454S said:

You might try cutting down on the daily national news media intake.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm British, and don't need to deal with the issues America has with their 'news media' entertainment shows.

TV channels claiming to be broadcasting news should do just that and nothing else.

That type of 'news entertainment' doesn't go down at all well over here, in fact we don't have anything similar.

We like the facts of the matter with clear explanation and deep analysis by experts in the particular field pertaining to the subject in hand.

• Like 31
  • Haha 1

cruising with more than5% unvaccinated passengers is potential dynamite ....as has been pointed out it increases the risk of an outbreak on board and consequent rescheduling of the cruise etc  . what happened in Sydney and Tokyo with cruise ships last year when no one was vaccinated seems to have been forgotten by many.  How you can control social distancing in the lifts  at bag drop off  departure  and arrival areas poses even more of a problem with more unvaccinated guests.  How vaccinated and unvaccinated  guests on board would be separated is another issue and would almost certainly mean everyone has to wear masks.  One slip up  death or outbreak of cov on board would sadly probably be the kiss of death for cruising and none of us want that. cruises out of Singapore were a success because they were for local citizens who had been vaccinated only and sailed at reduced  capacity with everyone wearing masks....and it now seems  the same may wellapply for cruises from the UK

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Board_Shorts said:

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm British, and don't need to deal with the issues America has with their 'news media' entertainment shows.

TV channels claiming to be broadcasting news should do just that and nothing else.

That type of 'news entertainment' doesn't go down at all well over here, in fact we don't have anything similar.

We like the facts of the matter with clear explanation and deep analysis by experts in the particular field pertaining to the subject in hand.

You have the BBC don't you?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Board_Shorts said:

What we ARE worried about though, are the un-vaccinated who still decide to cruise, despite all the dangers, extra costs and as yet unknown procedures, and the likelyhood of at least a few medical diverts and quarantines happening in the cruise industry this year.

I’m 100% in favor of vaccinated cruises, and I do believe that these are the safest way to operate. But at the same time, I also understand that we’ve had almost a year of data now since cruising restarted in the Mediterranean and expanded to other markets around the world, at a time when vaccines didn’t even exist.

Yet, the cruise lines found a way to create protocols and procedures that worked (and continue working), and that have made cruising in these times, not only a reality, but safe. These same protocols and procedures will now be applied to unvaccinated cruises out of the USA, and I believe that we can expect the same results.  

Although I personally would prefer to sail on a vaccinated cruise, I would be fine sailing on an unvaccinated one. I don’t foresee “a disaster waiting to happen” with them. Yes, things may not be perfect, and we may even see a sporadic positive case (as has already happened), but with all the protocols and backup plans required to be in place in order to operate, I am confidently hopeful that it will be smooth sailing going forward, whether unvaccinated or not. 

• Like 8

I am not desperate to return to cruising. I don't want to cruise where masking and distancing are required, nor with "bubble" excursions - let alone the chance that the ship may be turned away from a port if a local official gets nervous if there is a case of flu on board.

100 percent vaccinated cruises for me.  The unvaccinated can stay home.  Cruising is a privilege, not a right.

• Like 17

Sailing in July.  Did not stay home from restaurants and other indoor activities considered "unsafe"

last year.   Wore the masks and used hand santizer and did not catch Covid.  Even took a trip down south to Florida last year and attended church.   Please stop telling the rest of us how to live.  

• Like 17

I would if  I could be assured that vaccinated people would not be required to mask or socially distance in bars and other areas.. am concerned about socially distancing requirements at elevators...if ships near capacity... DH needs scooter

Edited by kearney
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Board_Shorts said:

With cruise ships being the perfect environment for the rapid spread of airborne pathogens (viruses which stay in the air) and with un-vaccinated guests inevitably mixing with everyone onboard, but most importantly mixing with each other; THAT being the main issue - contagions will lead to medical emergencies, medical diverts, curtailed sailings, possible ship wide quarantines for the un-vaccinated, if not for everyone, and unfortunately of course most probably more deaths.

Passing in hallways for example, sharing the same pool/hot tub, sharing a dining table?? (Nope!) just walking along the Royal Promenade, which is an enclosed space, visiting the shops, touching anything which they then put back, sharing elevators (always use a knuckle for the buttons; a good tip given to me years ago.) But who knows?

Unless Fain's latest statement mentioning the "extra processes incurring extra costs, and extra restrictions," and presumably needing to pay vast amounts for 'Royal Caribbean Brand' onboard testing, daily hopefully? Chargeable to their SeaPass account of course."

With all that the un-vaccinated will need to adhere to, I can't see many bothering with a cruise this year and hopefully going somewhere else, or preferably staying home.

Vaccinated guests are not worried about catching the virus - we're immune. What we ARE worried about though, are the un-vaccinated who still decide to cruise, despite all the dangers, extra costs and as yet unknown procedures, and the likelyhood of at least a few medical diverts and quarantines happening in the cruise industry this year.

I may be wrong but I see it as an extremely selfish thing to be doing.

All views welcome.

Are there any protocols anywhere that state what a cruiseline proposes to do with a person who tests positive for covid on board? And what are the cruiselines plans if this does happen?  Im not talking about the first sailings of cruiselines like MSC or the Quantum.  I'm talking about upcoming sailings.  Until then, I think these endless speculations are just noise.  

I could be wrong but many of the vaccinated folks on here are worried about their trips getting cut short in case of an outbreak or a situation like the Princess which nowadays wiuld be extreme.  It would be helpful to know what plans the ship has with dealing with a positive case.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 4