Something awesome about cruising I never thought about before

18 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I guess you must be loaded with them??  No sign here in South Jersey so far. (sure hope I didn't just jinx myself🤪)

Also something nice about Oregon and, I'd imagine, all places where there are no cicadas.  I will say, on one cruise out of Florida we were inundated with Love Bugs (not the Herbie the VW type, but the biter little fly type) before we finally left dock.  They were everywhere outside and not all that friendly.

Tom

6 minutes ago, tserface said:

Also something nice about Oregon and, I'd imagine, all places where there are no cicadas.  I will say, on one cruise out of Florida we were inundated with Love Bugs (not the Herbie the VW type, but the biter little fly type) before we finally left dock.  They were everywhere outside and not all that friendly.

Tom

Love bugs are very annoying but they don't bite. They will take the paint off your car if they aren't removed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ownedbypets said:

Love bugs are very annoying but they don't bite. They will take the paint off your car if they aren't removed.

I confess to very little knowledge about them, since I don't think we have them in Oregon, but people were, including us, were avoiding going outside until we set sail... because of them.  And, I can say, we all certainty, there were swarms of them around.

🙂

Tom

40 minutes ago, tserface said:

Tom

Yes, Those love bugs apparently were a science experiment.  They were supposed to eat mosquitoes.  Well, apparently they did in the lab where they were only fed mosquitoes, but in the wild, not so much.  For years, every Disney trip involved them. 

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I know nothing of these. What months are they a problem? We're sailing out of PC end of April.

Spring and fall. Usually late April / early May.

I've definitely seen them at the port. You might see the start. Lasts a couple weeks

They're just annoying

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

The Central Parks on Oasis Class ships actually play the sounds of Cicadas from mini speakers hidden amongst the plants during the evening hours. They also play the same sound in some areas of the pool decks during this time too.

In daytime hours the Central Park speakers play bird song. The parks also attract the occasional real bird or two!

I agree it's nice not to hear it in bed though. 😊